Old 26 March 2012, 15:38   #41

Town: New Milton
Boat name: No Name
Make: Quick Silver
Length: 3m +
Engine: 5hp
I've used the services of Thomas a few times, he was based in Cobbs Quay, Poole as propeller revolutions, but moved sometime ago - see link below.

Powertech stainless steel and aluminium propellers from Propeller Solutions

Thomas does work for Sunseeker, the local fishing boats, a lot of the powerboat racers use him, as well as Ribs, never heard a bad word.
Old 02 April 2012, 23:14   #42

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
I had, what I thought was, a wrecked aluminium prop repaired by Steel Developments for £36 - looked like a new prop on return, 5 days later - Superb service! They know their stuff.
Old 07 October 2012, 17:50   #43
RIBnet supporter

Town: MALTA
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 EFI 4S
I've used Steel Developments on a few occasions for different things.

First time was to repair a Bravo II 25P prop that had a hub/bush issue and needed balancing. They did a good job, it's not a polished prop but they did give it a better polish than the Merc factory finish and didn't charge the earth so I was a happy customer, and said I would use them again in the future....

On new prop sales I can't say I have been happy. The lady who answers emails tends to give you generic replies and doesn't give you true prop advice/alternatives so that doesn't say much to me about genuine knowledge. She may well know the lingo and prop range after years of answering phones, but.......

When it comes to Solas props I feel they have very old stock. I wanted a 4 blade prop and ended up being shipped an old Alcup style prop which they probably had in the store for ages. As I wasn't happy with the performance I stupidly perhaps ordered another that I had reworked to a specific pitch in my quest to get things spot on and well it ran exactly the same as the first one so I question the quality of the work done on the pitch side of things.

If you go to their website, you'll see a very generic description 4 Blade Alu D series, so it's pot luck as to which Solas prop you end up getting....that's not kosher.

Those are my experiences with SD.
Old 07 October 2012, 18:10   #44

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by npm108
I've used Steel Developments on a few occasions for different things.

First time was to repair a Bravo II 25P prop that had a hub/bush issue and needed balancing. They did a good job, it's not a polished prop but they did give it a better polish than the Merc factory finish and didn't charge the earth so I was a happy customer, and said I would use them again in the future....

On new prop sales I can't say I have been happy. The lady who answers emails tends to give you generic replies and doesn't give you true prop advice/alternatives so that doesn't say much to me about genuine knowledge. She may well know the lingo and prop range after years of answering phones, but.......

When it comes to Solas props I feel they have very old stock. I wanted a 4 blade prop and ended up being shipped an old Alcup style prop which they probably had in the store for ages. As I wasn't happy with the performance I stupidly perhaps ordered another that I had reworked to a specific pitch in my quest to get things spot on and well it ran exactly the same as the first one so I question the quality of the work done on the pitch side of things.

If you go to their website, you'll see a very generic description 4 Blade Alu D series, so it's pot luck as to which Solas prop you end up getting....that's not kosher.

Those are my experiences with SD.
I rang SD up this week and got a similar answer to what you have said I am on 17 " and the lady said go to 19"
Old 07 October 2012, 20:44   #45

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Geoff at "Streamlined Propellers" is a virtual human "CAD/CAM" machine (sic) when it comes to understanding requirements and providing solutions to power delivery via propeller choice.
Working from an Aldershot "artisan-type" base they tailor props for many top race vessels. Geoff is immediately at home with your spec and the tone reflects the knowledge.
All guaranteed for satisfaction over anything less.
Old 02 November 2012, 00:21   #46

Town: Poole
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
Prop Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
How old is Thomas then?????

Brian was the man who did the repairs, and now he's gone I use someone else.
Brian the prop man who used to work with Thomas, I hear is working for Darglow Marine in Wareham and is still doing propeller repairs.
Old 06 May 2014, 10:57   #47

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
One of the prop repair companies (I can't remember which but i'd guess it was this one) has a woman who deals with customers - and who reputedly knows more about props selection and repair than you are likely to ever do - which if she's been dealing with prop enquiries every day for the last 10 years is hardly a surprise... ...she probably has a better telephone manner than the average metal worker too!
Just tried for a second no third time to ring the one in Poole....and can't even get them to Pick up!
Another example of Great customer service you seem to get across large sections of the Marine industries me thinks.....along with good value,and great back up
Is it just me,or does it seem endemic?
After Peter M kindly offered to deliver it for me.....I WILL try them again later

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2014, 17:55   #48

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
Steel developments have been reliable and offered good advice, especially with repairs over the years. Their website could give more details about the new prop options, echoed in comments above, but good for repairs.

We used darglow this winter for a folding yacht prop refurb and they were excellent to deal with, answered the phone too!
Old 14 May 2014, 08:58   #49
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Dropped ours off in person at steel developments and they've done a top job though it wasn't a major repair. Clyde propellors good too