Old 20 December 2008, 17:54   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Prop choice

I have tried in the past various 3 and 4 bladed SS props and found they made no difference.
I am about to try again, bearing in mind the props may have not been of the best manufacture, so which prop manufacturers are the ones to go for?
Its for a Suzi 90 on a 5.8m hull but fairly heavy for its size due to the batteries and fuel etc.
I had a search about within posts and solas were recommended and not recommended plus various other types.
Recommendations? plus best prices found recently?
Old 22 December 2008, 12:28   #2

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I have tried in the past various 3 and 4 bladed SS props and found they made no difference.
I am about to try again, bearing in mind the props may have not been of the best manufacture, so which prop manufacturers are the ones to go for?
Its for a Suzi 90 on a 5.8m hull but fairly heavy for its size due to the batteries and fuel etc.
I had a search about within posts and solas were recommended and not recommended plus various other types.
If changing your props has made no difference are you sure the engine is at the right height, and not to deep in the water?
Old 23 December 2008, 08:12   #3

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I've done a little bit of research on this bruce,i've settled on the mercury inertia,thats in theory,the real issue is having a go with diff ones - borrowing etc, pretty difficult.

American race series (Forums) talk at length about the right prop,it nearly always centers around merc props and to a lesser extent hydromotive. The merc range is extensive and after a bit of work, the inertia seems the right prop for a rib, however it's only my opinion.

Eddie Crossan at Balloch (Loch Lomond) is a merc dealer who supplies props,might be worth a call ?.
Old 23 December 2008, 11:33   #4

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
We test all sorts of prop out on various boats, and found that the enertia was good on light boats giving a better top end speed. We have found however that they do rev higher than and equivilant pitch prop.

Eg we did some twin 225 opti trials the other day and found that a 19" mirage pulled 5500rpm @40.2knts, the enertia did 5750rpm @ 42.5knts, Laser 2 did 5600rpm at 41knts. Just a thought!!
Old 23 December 2008, 20:06   #5

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
If changing your props has made no difference are you sure the engine is at the right height, and not to deep in the water?
Different hull and outboard to the original trials of various props