Old 30 July 2014, 14:01   #1

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Prop brand selection

Using a temporary propeller at the moment that has been borrowed from a friend on my holiday park.

The most appealing at the moment is the vortex with the hsr tohatsu hub.

TOHATSU PROPELLER 35-50HP 10-3/8 x 14, Michigan Wheel Vortex with XHS Hub NEW ** | eBay

Does this seem like a good choice, or is there better props out there for the £100 mark?
Old 30 July 2014, 21:04   #2

bump .
Old 30 July 2014, 21:42   #3

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
what made you go for that prop Henry? I've been trying various props from 11" dia. X 13" pitch up to 11" x 15", the 13" & 14" pitch props were over revving the Honda and it was hitting the rev limiter, the 15" seems about right with Max revs around 5800 giving around 35knts and a touch of chine walking, so I think I've got as far as I'm going

if your engine has the same 13 splines as the Honda then I've got a selection of props you can trial, including a nice SS 11" x 13"

also castle marine in caernarfon have got a good selection of 2nd hand ally props they can fettle for you at around half the price of a genuine new Honda prop, worth thinking about
Old 30 July 2014, 21:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
what made you go for that prop Henry? I've been trying various props from 11" dia. X 13" pitch up to 11" x 15", the 13" & 14" pitch props were over revving the Honda and it was hitting the rev limiter, the 15" seems about right with Max revs around 5800 giving around 35knts and a touch of chine walking, so I think I've got as far as I'm going

if your engine has the same 13 splines as the Honda then I've got a selection of props you can trial, including a nice SS 11" x 13"

also castle marine in caernarfon have got a good selection of 2nd hand ally props they can fettle for you at around half the price of a genuine new Honda prop, worth thinking about
Thanks for the reply Chris.

I have just been surfing really and came across that prop quite randomly and it seemed to fit the bill (right diameter + pitch and the right hub kit).

I do have 13 splines so yes I should be able to run a honda prop.

I am currently running a 10 3/8 x 14 prop from a honda and I am achieving 5800rpm and I am yet to record speed. However this prop is not in the greatest of condition- one of the fins has a crack in is and it has a couple of dings.

Your honda has a gear ratio of 2.08? but my tohatsu has gear ratio of 1.85 so I am probably going to be running a smaller pitch prop?

Bloody hell 35 knots ain't bad

It's also the debate of whether to run a ss prop or not? I have been told that by using a stainless prop on such a small boat I won't see much if any performance increase?

If you've got some spare props that are non-returnable then send me a message over facebook then maybe I cold buy one off you?

Cheers
Old 30 July 2014, 22:12   #5

sounds like the prop you're running seems about right, if I was you I'd be looking at a repair on that prop, work out cheaper than a new prop and no hub kit required

pity we didn't live closer, you'd be more than welcome to try any of the props I've got to test performance

yeh, I'd agree that any performance benefit is likely to be much reduced on that size prop as there's less ally to flex than on a bigger prop
Old 30 July 2014, 22:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
sounds like the prop you're running seems about right, if I was you I'd be looking at a repair on that prop, work out cheaper than a new prop and no hub kit required

pity we didn't live closer, you'd be more than welcome to try any of the props I've got to test performance

yeh, I'd agree that any performance benefit is likely to be much reduced on that size prop as there's less ally to flex than on a bigger prop
that's the problem, it's not my prop so I am only using it temporarily and it also isn't the best fit- I can only use half a split pin to hold on the nut as it doesn't wind on quite enough for me to get a whole one through, so not ideal

So basically I have a to buy a prop, I know the size I've got to get it's just finding the right brand/style. I am not too keen on the tohatsu props, they just don't look very aggressive.
Old 30 July 2014, 22:25   #7

even more reason to try and borrow something to make sure it fits before you going splashing lots of cash on something that doesn't fit properly