Old 07 February 2004, 09:08   #21

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Taken from a Mercury Racing dealers website.

I recently had the opportunity to see and drive some of Mercury’s new Project X motors. It was obvious to me right away that Mercury pulled out all the stops on this innovative long awaited motor, making it definately worth the wait! I was fortunate enough to be able to get an inside look at the internal design of the engine as well as the state of the art manufacturing processes that were necessary to produce such an advanced and sophisticated engine. My conclusion is that this is truly an engineering masterpiece and believe that this revolutionary 4 Stroke design will change forever the way we think about outboard motors. This motor from the tip of the skeg to the top of the cowling is trick, with features that emanate ruggedness and reliability. I wish I was able to go into detail about some of the innovative features of this motor, but that will have to wait until after the public unveiling of this motor at the Miami Boat Show coming up next week Feb 12th-17th.

The most interesting thing that you notice when you start the motor up is the lack of noise, vibration and lets not forget smoke. One might expect this but certainly not to this extent; this was amazingly quiet and smooth. The engine package incorporates what I like to call their fly by wire Digital Shift and Throttle controls, no more hard shifting or seized cables. The controls themselves are adjustable, providing the operator with whatever feel of smoothness and tension that you may prefer (very nice). Grabbing the controls and moving them forward gives you a feel of the effortless smooth continuous power that is at your control. The bottom end power was very impressive and it didn’t stop there, the torque curve of this engine is so broad that whatever RPM you are at prepare to hang on when you push the throttles forward. It also comes standard with an integrated Electro-Hydraulic power steering system that makes driving a real pleasure, with only fingertip pressure need to steer the boat at any speed. When driving the boat I sensed a feeling of almost automotive-like comfort and control. The engine package seemed to integrate itself into the boat so well that you almost thought that you were driving a car, it is a little hard to describe but it’s just a more turn the key and go feel. Gone are the concerns about the engines that are behind you contributing to a totally new and enjoyable boating experience.
If you are looking for a new boat or planning on upgrading and repowering your current one, you owe it yourself to head to the Mercury Marine booth at the Miami Boat Show Feb 12th-17th. Be sure to check out this outrageous new Project X motor then experience for yourself a demo ride at the in water portion of the show and see what all of the buzz is about.
This engine, clearly light years ahead of the competition will make your purchase one of the easiest decisions that you will have to make.
Looking forward to seeing you at the show.

Marty Signorelli
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	project-x2.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	4206  
Old 07 February 2004, 10:25   #22

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I see you read Scream and Fly too.
Old 09 February 2004, 14:34   #23

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85m
Engine: Mariner 115hp 4 stroke running on LPG
I have seen and and used it and worked on it!! its well worth the wait. Cant say anymore than that!!
Old 12 February 2004, 14:35   #24

Big Mutha

http://www.powerboatmag.com/breakingnews/story81.php
Old 12 February 2004, 17:19   #25
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Originally posted by Diesel
I have seen and and used it and worked on it!! its well worth the wait. Cant say anymore than that!!
You'll have to show me . I'm coming up for the model update course on Tuesday.
Old 12 February 2004, 18:36   #26

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
tech Question.

The engine has 2.6-liter or 158.5-cubic-inch platform and is super charged but still produces 200 (which it did any way) and is it correct in saying that it now from the same cc can also produce 225, 250 and 275-hp?
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2004, 19:07   #27

Ain't that exactly what the article says Manos?
Old 12 February 2004, 19:11   #28

Mercury have updated their website with full details:
http://www.mercurymarine.com
Old 12 February 2004, 19:13   #29

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonam
Ain't that exactly what the article says Manos?
Ups will read it again.
Trying to keep warm here in Cape Sounion (-5 C outside) with some DRAMBUI so excuse the lack of concentration.
Old 12 February 2004, 19:16   #30

Oh great , so we'll get some more bold, capitalised, xxx-large posting from you later
Old 12 February 2004, 19:19   #31

Old 12 February 2004, 19:30   #32

Sonam I've look at it again and actually says that from a 2.6 ltr supercharged engine you get 200-275 bhp. Ok forget all that about noise, pollution, reductiuon, torque power etc etc
The bottom line is that you get 200-275 bhp from a 2.6 ltr engine.
Unless ofcourse you know any different
Old 12 February 2004, 19:45   #33

Hooray, you answered your own question.
Old 12 February 2004, 19:46   #34

Old 13 February 2004, 03:30   #35

u want power look at bike engines

hello people,u dont need a supercharged polo g40 engine, ford fiesta 1300cc = 60bhp ish
bikes:
suzuki hayabusa 1300cc= 164 bhp
or better still the new yamaha R1 has 178bhp and weighs 177kg which basically reaches the holy grail of bike tuning. A 1BHPper kg an thats for the whole bike. god knows what the engine alone weighs 50-85kgs i reckon, and they are very compact as well.
there are no superchargers or turbos to force more air in, they are just simple four strokes. remember when a supercharger needs rebuilding or worse replacing u need to remortgage ur house.

AND a honda 90hp four stroke is a civc engine on its side an modified to run salt water thru it.
WHy waste money devolping an engine, when all the bike manufacturers have been doing it for years with a lot of money as well.
also a yamaha r1 costs £7500 ish new. isnt that a bit cheaper than boat engines for similar power?
Old 13 February 2004, 03:40   #36

btttt

do these new engines have ceramic liners, i bet they r either a few yrs behind bikes or they are sharing devolpment with bike manufacturers as they are far more ahead than car companies in terms of mass production of exotic materials an machining processes cheaply like ceramic liners an using expensive metals to save weight, as some seadoos do, like the kawaski 1300 are bike engines.
Also 2.6 litre producing 275 bhp is a bit POOR.
I own a nissan pulsar gtir 2.0 16valve turbo producing 300bhp an i can open the bleed valve up an get more power at the expense of a) fuel b) engine life.

but at 300bhp its quick an reliable.

has anyone tried to put a car engine in a rib??
i dont think it would be hard because all the work of ecu, mapping timing ignition maps has all been done for u. all u have to do is work out gearing an final drive system.
Old 13 February 2004, 06:38   #37

Bike engines don't have enough torque or long enough lifespan. Don't forget a lot of outboards run pretty much flat out all day long and you still expect them to have a reasonable life.
Old 13 February 2004, 08:03   #38

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Meet the Verado family

So the truth is out. The new range of Mercury 4 stroke engines can be seen on www.mercurymarine.com

A very interesting site with a very good presentation

I wonder if any ribs will have any of these BIG "babies" at RIBEX2004

Andre
Old 13 February 2004, 13:35   #39

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
Test drive experiences

A friend of mine is now in Miami and tested new engines yesterday. I called him early this morning to hear his experiences. He's a journalist and driven all possible OBs available and says, that this new Verado is something never seen before. Acceleration is unbelievable and sound a real whisper. There's nothing that comes even close to Verado at the market, he says. And he has seen all engines available today.

Verado is really bad news for Suzuki and perhaps also to Yamaha. There are estimations that Mercury will bring new Verados up to 350 hp power class in near future, so 275 hp is just the beginning. And four cylinder models are already coming to model year 2005, so the line is expanding to smaller units also.

Once I saw specs of the engine and hear hands-on experiences, I am pretty convinced that Mercury has now done something completely new. Verado is maybe the largest leap in modern ourboard history, if there won't come any technical difficulties in a long run.
Old 13 February 2004, 13:40   #40

If from 2.6ltr engine produce 300+bhp it will be something. Keep weight down and have the power. Lets see how this engine will perform in the long run in the salt environment and not in fresh water lakes.