Old 11 September 2006, 09:31   #21

Town: quimper
Boat name: kai 2
Make: capelli
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 100
Solution

I'm pretty sure I know what this is, as exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. We had been slowly pootling in an inlet with lots of seaweed, and then on leaving, throttled up to get on the plane, and the engine started a continuous beep and lost power.
So I stopped the engine and raised it to have a look and there was seaweed blocking the water intake. This came off very easily, and all was then fine.
The engine (a new Yamaha 4 stroke 60) must have a flow meter of some kind that detects when insufficient water is coming in, as the overheat signal did not come on. So the problem is detected before it can cause damage. Pretty nifty.
Old 11 September 2006, 15:26   #22

Town: Newby Bridge
Boat name: Alfie
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp
I think you're right because I flushed the engine this morning and it seemed fine, oil level was ok also so I guess the water intakes got fouled and so it went to auto 'SLOW' mode.

I did notice though that during flushing the tell tail stream dropped quite substantially on occasions, once almost stopping completely. I've never really sat there and watched the tell tail during flushing so maybe it's always done this, maybe water intake using muffs causes this?? I'm taking the boat out again tomorrow so hopefully it'll be fine, although at the back of my mind I can't help wondering if the water pump might be playing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernithebiker
I'm pretty sure I know what this is, as exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. We had been slowly pootling in an inlet with lots of seaweed, and then on leaving, throttled up to get on the plane, and the engine started a continuous beep and lost power.
Old 11 September 2006, 19:19   #23

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
If you do, be aware that quite a few motors don't like running on muffs. They tend to run on the warm side, probably due to a lower volume of water available to the motor.
Have to say I'm a real coward about muffs!

My preference is to use a tub (most people seem to have household cold water tanks) and run it in there. OK as long as you have somewhere to stash it afterwards. Just make sure the water level is high enough tp cover whatever the manual says it needs.
Old 11 September 2006, 19:29   #24

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC

My preference is to use a tub (most people seem to have household cold water tanks) and run it in there. OK as long as you have somewhere to stash it afterwards. Just make sure the water level is high enough tp cover whatever the manual says it needs.
I got a 50 litre drum to run my aux in and set it up on the weekend, to use for flushing (can't use muffs on the 6 and it is easier than messing with the flushing adaptor).

I can say from experimentation that if you fill a 50 litre drum with water and then put a 6hp in gear and give it full throttle it empties the drum quite quickly, must try the same thing with the 115 some time
Old 11 September 2006, 19:49   #25

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC
You should never be afraid of a muff!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote