Old 23 January 2009, 18:38   #41

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Who really cares. It isn't really going to make much difference where it is. And it only really matters if you have inbuilt tanks. A portable 20 litre or so tank doesn't really need a filter, hence the reason why the motor comes with a fuel tank and fuel line that doesn't have provision for a filter.

I only fit spin on water seperators to outboards (60+ hp) as per the manufacturers instructions. And then only if the boat has integral tanks. At one time we were informed by Barrus not to fit anything to OPTI's, as they had their own filter on the powerhead, this has now been revised to a mercury style spin on and a bulkhead fitting.

When asked by the customer for something in excess of that, I fit a Racor, as they seem to be the only ones that are approved for petrol, most of the separ type filters seem to be for derv only.
I am going to fit a crossland 522 on mine, again a diesel filter but aparently OK with petrol, time will tell mainly as a water trap as the gray barrus tanks are a bit pants at keeping petrol in and water out
the filter in the powerhead is shockingly coarse!
Old 23 January 2009, 18:55   #42

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
I fit a Racor, as they seem to be the only ones that are approved for petrol, most of the separ type filters seem to be for derv only.
Oh no .. here we go again

I have to say I have had boats rigged both ways by dealers, but I think doggy had some fair points about the bulb pressure being greater on the output and therefor before filter was best, also to show any leaks in the arrangement, so that when running normally under vacuum you could be sure you werent going to draw air into the system, which I didnt even know was a problem with modern injection engines, although it is an absolute nightmare with diesel stuff, you could hunt for ages just looking for the smallest ingress but worse than that .. if you are taking a lot of water/spray over the stern, some water could get sucked into the fuel system if your system wasnt air tight
Old 23 January 2009, 20:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Oh no .. here we go again

I have to say I have had boats rigged both ways by dealers, but I think doggy had some fair points about the bulb pressure being greater on the output and therefor before filter was best, also to show any leaks in the arrangement, so that when running normally under vacuum you could be sure you werent going to draw air into the system, which I didnt even know was a problem with modern injection engines, although it is an absolute nightmare with diesel stuff, you could hunt for ages just looking for the smallest ingress but worse than that .. if you are taking a lot of water/spray over the stern, some water could get sucked into the fuel system if your system wasnt air tight
dont know about modern petrol outboards and the effect of airated fuel, but i guess it cant be a good thing!
air in a diesel?? if i had a put a tenner by for every day i had wasted looking for air leaks in diesels i would have enough to buy a new RIB now and an inboard diesel at that!
Old 23 January 2009, 20:35   #44

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
if i had a put a tenner by for every day i had wasted looking for air leaks in diesels i would have enough to buy a new RIB now and an inboard diesel at that!
Tell me about it the best one I had recently was a filter that wasnt bonded properly together in the middle. All the hoses are black,.. you cant see nothing, and ofcourse the filter is tucked away somewhere but when I found it the world was right again

Bit like the middle 'un below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelfilters[1].jpg
Views:	185
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	40134  
Old 24 January 2009, 16:31   #45

Those disposable filters are discusterous and maggotaceous things
Old 24 January 2009, 16:51   #46
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
Those disposable filters are discusterous and maggotaceous things
Margowhat?
Old 20 April 2012, 11:40   #47

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Engine: Honda 50
Great aul' thread this.

My flow was tank - bulb - separator - engine.
The bulb did get polluted and failed. Which it possibly wouldn't have done if it was downstream of the separator/filter. That said, I was able to keep priming to get me home.

After reading this I will go against jwalker's advice for the first time in my life and change the running order to tank - separator - bulb - engine.

I will leave a bit of slack near the tank to allow me bypass filter at sea if needs be.

And I will use stainless jubilee clips and have the bulb low but vertical.
Old 02 June 2012, 15:07   #48

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I'm in the process of changing my filters during a service. I have replaced the console mounted racor with glass bowl.with the primer after the filter I can't successfully prime using the primer. I idled the outboard and primed and drew a little fuel in to the filter but I can't fill it up. The problem is that the bulb doesn't like pumping air.

I've never had this problem before so perhaps the primer is passed it's best. Going to mount it before filter and see how it goes.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2012, 16:34   #49

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Most sources say to pre-fill the filter before installing. May or may not help with your problem.

On the other hand, isn't priming what a priming bulb is supposed to do?

jky
Old 03 June 2012, 14:33   #50

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I eventually got there in the end. I didn't change primer position as the fuel pipe and fittings I had available to me prevented the move. I ended up using my portable tank and back filling the filter to prime it.

With regard the position of the primer bulb. I would recommend mounting it after the filter as the time before this change, which was the first time it was changed since the fuel tank was made there was lots of gunk that could have got caught if pulled though the bulb. This time around there was a piece of fibreglass sitting on top of the filter.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2012, 21:11   #51

A buddy of mine had a bunch of fuel flow problems (diagnosed by a repair facility as low pressure fuel filter, then a high pressure fuel filter.)

After many iterations of supposed repair, he found that the fuel line was some sort of cloth-reinforced rubber with a plastic lining, and that plastic lining was falling apart and clogging everything up.

He changed out the fuel line (and added a canister filter) and everything has been OK since. New fuel line does not have the plastic lining.

His boat is a 15.5' Zodiac Rib with a Merc 60EFI.

jky
Old 06 June 2012, 08:11   #52

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
he found that the fuel line was some sort of cloth-reinforced rubber with a plastic lining, and that plastic lining was falling apart and clogging everything up.

He changed out the fuel line (and added a canister filter) and everything has been OK since. New fuel line does not have the plastic lining.

jky
That sounds like ethanol degredation of the fuel line.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2012, 15:35   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That sounds like ethanol degredation of the fuel line.
Could be. Though it would have hard to prove with a 7 year old boat.

Personally, I was surprised by the lined fuel hose. I'd never seen that before.

jky