Old 16 March 2008, 22:34   #1
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Power Steering

Has anyone had any experience of upgrading from hydraulic to power steering. Quite fancy the idea but prices are putting me off! Haven't read much about it on here so just interested in anyone's thoughts.
Old 17 March 2008, 00:16   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I just wish my hydraulic steering was more direct - it's something like 5 turns lock to lock which is crap considering my Alfa Romeo is 2.2!!!

Is this why you want power steering? Mine is too light anyway - I would happily have heavier steering with less turns.

Another thing that seems to be lacking - maybe more so with power - is feedback - it's often a nice thing to have!!!
Old 17 March 2008, 19:54   #3
RJH

No, the reason is that sometime's its just too heavy particularly for smaller members of the family. Maybe its not set right or something. Must investigate some more I think.
Old 17 March 2008, 20:16   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH View Post
No, the reason is that sometime's its just too heavy particularly for smaller members of the family. Maybe its not set right or something. Must investigate some more I think.
Suggest you check for kinks in hoses or a siezed up stering shaft on the engine.
Old 18 March 2008, 10:10   #5

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
You quite often find companies when they fit out boats don't fit higher volumed steering units as this decreases the number to turns lock to lock. This is to avoid people at speed turning the wheel a bit and it suddenly turns faster than they are ready for. I understand them wanting to protect themselves but if you spend most of the time doing safety or close quarter maneuvering a steering box with a short lock to lock makes alot of difference.

you can get over this by swapping your helm unit to one that has a higher pump volume per rotation, or as it was in my case refurb it and replace all the springs in the swash pump so it actually pumps!

Or as the other have said check for kinks etc or flush the fluid out with new, thus removing any forien bodies or air etc causing problems

Jelly
Old 18 March 2008, 13:23   #6

Boat name: Tinkerbell
Make: Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH View Post
Has anyone had any experience of upgrading from hydraulic to power steering. Quite fancy the idea but prices are putting me off! Haven't read much about it on here so just interested in anyone's thoughts.
I assume you have a seastar pro set up

The power steering upgrade is nice but can be a little too sensitive- sometimes resistance stops the less experienced not wap the helm full over at 50 knots! At least you can switch the servo unit off.

Even with a 300 fully trimmed out a seastar pro is not that heavy
Old 18 March 2008, 19:23   #7
RJH

Thanks, it does seem from the comments that maybe it is not as light as it should be. Definitely worth looking into some more this weekend when I launch for the first jaunt of the season.