Old 16 January 2005, 06:26   #1

Town: Novato
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4
Engine: Yamaha 30
Post Immersion Restart System

What is Post Immersion Restart System and were can I get more information?

Thanks
Old 16 January 2005, 13:01   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I'm guessing its the mods that folk like the RNLI do to their outboards to enable them to be restarted after a lifeboat has capsized and been righted. No idea where you could get further info but no pleasure ribster should ever need this
Old 16 January 2005, 21:12   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Spent an interesting half hour talking to a RNLI Engineer at a station on Jersey once. He showed me the kit they have added to the engines to stop water getting in once its upside-down.

Basically it was a tilt switch that operated various solenoids coupled to flaps that sealed all possible air inlets etc.

Nasher.
Old 16 January 2005, 21:23   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I have an ex RNLI 40hp Mariner (electric start PTT etc). It's fitted with the RNLI fuel drain system. It's also got an RNLI added tilt switch. Is this the switch you speak of; is this likly to be wired up to some wired and wonderful things or would they have removed that when the engine was taken out of service?
Old 16 January 2005, 21:36   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
The Flaps should be very obvious, from memory they were clear plastic and looked very home made and very obviously an add-on over the air intakes.

Strange however that they would go to the trouble of removing the flaps and not the switch. Perhaps its wired into the ignition to cut it when upside-down and it was too much trouble to re-wire. Or maybe the solenoids etc were robbed off to use as spares, as they would be more expensive to replace than the tilt switch.

I think the motor I looked at also had a toggle switch across the tilt swith to test the system, either that or the engineer was shorting it somehow to show me how it worked, sorry it was a few years ago.

Nasher
Old 17 January 2005, 07:40   #6

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie
What is Post Immersion Restart System and were can I get more information?

Thanks

The PIRS system is a Barrus Mod all done by us at work. There are two systems either the normal PIRS Which is simply drain taps to allow water to get out of the fuel system. With this version you have to take the lid off take the plugs out, pull the engine over put new plugs in and re start the engine.

The New Fast PIRS all you do is pull a leaver which opens valves in the head and crankcase and fuel system, Then either pull the engine over or turn the engine over on the starter which purges all the water. Then close the lever and off you go. I can get and engine re started in about 25 seconds with this system. Its in use with the RNLI on all the D class boats and the Y class. The MOD use it too. We have to fit tilt switches and water proof all of the electrics. The MOD version has to be able to be submerged for anything upto a month and still start. I did all the trials for both systems which was great! using a brand new 25hp Outboard as an Anchor for a month!!!.

The RNLI's Own system stops the water getting in to the engine which is very good but on older engines the seals dont always keep the water out!.
Old 17 January 2005, 20:41   #7

Town: Novato
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4
Engine: Yamaha 30
Sounds like PIRS is all custom work. It would be nice of a manufacturer or two offerer PIRS as an option.

I once flipped my Zodiac surfing near shore in northern California. Luckily it was no big loss because it was an old motor and I was swept into shore.
Old 17 January 2005, 20:56   #8

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie
Sounds like PIRS is all custom work. It would be nice of a manufacturer or two offerer PIRS as an option.

I once flipped my Zodiac surfing near shore in northern California. Luckily it was no big loss because it was an old motor and I was swept into shore.

You can have it fitted to most Mariner/Mercury Outboards from new with warranty. Call E.P Barrus Ltd. Ask for Special Products. They will sort you out!!
Old 20 July 2006, 09:43   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering just how much the PIRS costs to be fitted when new?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote