Old 15 July 2018, 20:54   #1

Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
poppit valve ?

hi to all
so noticed today wasn't any water coming out the tail pipe, i do know that this is bad, so straight away i come back in very slowly, moored up and looked for the obvious and couldn't see anything, over the weekend i know i have churned up some sand after almost grounding and had to use reverse super thrust to get of the beach " twice " i do believe the tail pipe water to be a bit random at times. so anyway, thinking i need to check impeller.
during the weekend it could have been a case there wasn't any water coming out the tail pipe, as i havnt been strictly looking out for it, as i have just got the outboard up and running, i havnt had any alarms go off for heating up.

so after looking at a vid on you tube some guy went through what was called i poppet valve and that this can change the pressure of water that comes out, just wanted to know if anyone can relate to this ?

cheers matt
Old 15 July 2018, 21:22   #2

I don't know if that engine will have an overheat alarm, others may know.

It could be an impeller, blockage (sand in the intake or a blade of the impeller further up) the poppit or you simply need to clear out the tell tale hole with some wire, pretty common that happens.

The good news is the tell tale is just that, if you had no cooling at all you would have seized the motor up pretty quickly so I suspect you did have some cooling atleast, 99% of cooling goes through the prop normally.

Check the intake first, then try clearing the tell tale while running on muffs, just don't run it too long. If that doesn't work then look at the poppit or maybe stats.

I would replace the impeller/poppit and clean out the tell tale with wire as the engine is unknown to you regardless. Ideally should have changed the impeller when you got the engine running correctly, asking for trouble not doing so on an unknown engine which was dormant for a long period.....live and learn