Old 24 February 2015, 18:42   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Have you checked the choke butterfly is fully closing as suggested by davie he knows yams inside out & isn't often wrong

Old 25 February 2015, 02:44   #22

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Have you checked the choke butterfly is fully closing as suggested by davie he knows yams inside out & isn't often wrong
The solenoid pulls it as closed as it is possible to do by hand with the solenoid disconnected. It seems to be as closed as it is possible to go, i.e., no gaps at the sides.

I'll give it a whiff of propane and if that doesn't work give it a shot of fuel.

Its running in a dustbin. Guess where the spanner and screwdriver ended up yesterday!

Old 25 February 2015, 03:02   #23

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
The honing was pretty light and I am confident in the chap who did it: he wears a brown shop-coat with biros and a vernier caliper in the top pocket plus 'Michael Foot' glasses - old skool Engineer (with a capital 'E').
You'll be telling us next he drives an Austin Allegro Vanden Plas, complete with AA and RAC chrome badges!
Old 25 February 2015, 03:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
You'll be telling us next he drives an Austin Allegro Vanden Plas, complete with AA and RAC chrome badges!
When I was about sixteen a friend gave a couple of us a lift home from school in a (by that time very old) Vanden Plas Allegro. Trying to impress us he took a hump-back bridge at some speed and the Hydragas suspension gave out on landing.
Old 25 February 2015, 04:25   #25

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
Thinking on. I looked at a 25 yam once, same symptoms. It seemed to prime ok, but it didn't. Turned out simply to be the bulb and connector to the engine being no standard.

If you have compression, spark and the timing is OK. It can only be the fuel pump, carb, reed or bottom seal. Only the carb and fuel pump (to a lesser extent) would affect starting.

Like I said earlier, fuel, fuel tank, bulb and fuel line have to be 100%.
Old 25 February 2015, 07:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIB-Teccie View Post
Thinking on. I looked at a 25 yam once, same symptoms. It seemed to prime ok, but it didn't. Turned out simply to be the bulb and connector to the engine being no standard.

If you have compression, spark and the timing is OK. It can only be the fuel pump, carb, reed or bottom seal. Only the carb and fuel pump (to a lesser extent) would affect starting.

Like I said earlier, fuel, fuel tank, bulb and fuel line have to be 100%.
Bottom seal as in between the block and the mid section, or between the block and the crank-case?

Thanks
Hugh
Old 25 February 2015, 07:32   #27

Bottom Crankshaft seal. In the housing below the bottom crank bearing.

Unlikely to cause the problems you are reporting
Old 26 February 2015, 03:30   #28

A shot of fuel didn't work but continuous pumping of the primer bulb did.

Next on the agenda is the fuel pump which I can swap out this evening.
A new primer bulb arrives tomorrow.

It does make quite a noticeable ticking noise at idle and the mixture adjustment screw has very little effect (it has to go almost all the way in or almost all the way out)

It may yet be on eBay as 'spares or repairs'!
Old 26 February 2015, 05:57   #29

A shot of fuel should have worked. I'm surprise. Not even a cough? It does sound like it's not priming correctly and that carb you have got on does not seem right. I would strip carb and leave it overnight in a container of petrol and then blow through a the holes with an airline.

We're the reeds ok when the engine was stripped? Is the ticking a spark plug tracking between the bottom spark if cap ant the clip on the tray. That is very common if you are using the larger NGK caps or the original metal covered Yammy plastic ones. The metal can be removed with pliers and will not affect the caps. Also trim a little bit of the HT leads and ensure the caps are screwed into the lead properly.
Old 27 February 2015, 02:54   #30

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Once you prime the carbs with fuel using the priming bulb the fuel pump won't do anything to help start it. In fact you could disconnect the fuel line and run off the fuel in the carbs for a few minutes. So that begs of the question of are all the carbs getting fuel properly? Is the fuel strainer plugged? Does the fuel bulb get hard as it is pumped? If not really hard it could also be a float seat that is not seating properly and causing you to flood the engine as you are attempting to prime it, even just one or two carbs flooding can cause severe issues. Do you smell fuel while cranking?

Tomorrow try starting it normally without pumping the primer bulb and see what happens.

You could try draining the fuel out of each carb and see if roughly the same amount comes out. There should be a drain screw on each carb at the bottom. Also look for contaminants and water. If one carb has more or less fuel something is wrong.

Rebuilding the carbs if they haven't been done in a long time would be a good thing to freshen all the gaskets up. The most important part is clearing all passage ways.

Once warm if it idles smoothly, is a pretty good indication of the mechanical condition.