Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 16 July 2013, 21:34   #21

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I think 30kg is the limit for carrying outboard motors without too much strain.

I tried the Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke (38kg) and it was a real struggle.

The 9.8 two stroke weighs 26kg and is a lot easier to carry. Plus being a two stroke it does not matter which way you carry it.

The engine should achieve 20mph at WOT on a smaller boat, with a less frenetic cruising speed of 16-17mph after backing off the throttle a bit.

Before this l had a Mariner 6hp four stroke (26kg) and it was alright, but was about 6mph slower.

So it depends on how fast you want to go.
Old 17 July 2013, 05:52   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
You need a last generation Yam or Mariner 15 hp 2 stroke at 36 kg. As much as I love the Twat 9.8 I don't think it will do your 380 justice.
What he says

A 9.8 on your Aerotec will only disappoint you, but a 15 will give you a reasonable performance unless you are heavily loaded.

A 15hp 2-stroke is the least power I would want on the boat, and the maximum I'm prepared to manhandle.

I currently have 2 Aerotec 3800s with 15hp 2-strokes. I've also used 25hp and 9.8hp motors, but didn't keep them.

Buy Whisper's motor!
Old 17 July 2013, 07:05   #23

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
John, have you ever tried the Tohatsu 18? I know it's a scarce motor but wondering how the extra 20% power over the 15's helps. Not sure of it's weight if anyone knows? It's the same as the Twat 15 I think which is a heavier engine than the Yam or Mariner 15 AFAIK.

I remember reading from those that have tried a 20 that the big jump up in weight and consumption gave very little return over the 15 bar a couple of kts on the top end...?
Old 17 July 2013, 07:10   #24

If you are struggling to lift a 50kg motor (and who wouldn't) l am not sure 38kg will be enough of a difference.

The only thing to do would be to try lifting one, and see if 12kg lighter is enough.
Otherwise it is going to be the Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke as your next option.
Old 17 July 2013, 07:12   #25
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I've never even seen a Tohatsu 18 apart from photos, but they do have a good reputation. Locozodiac is your man to talk to!
Old 17 July 2013, 09:10   #26

The Tohatsu 18 hp two stroke weighs 41kg.

The OP is looking for a lightweight motor that he can lift in and out of his car without killing him!
Old 17 July 2013, 09:28   #27

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
What he says

A 9.8 on your Aerotec will only disappoint you, but a 15 will give you a reasonable performance unless you are heavily loaded.

A 15hp 2-stroke is the least power I would want on the boat, and the maximum I'm prepared to manhandle.

I currently have 2 Aerotec 3800s with 15hp 2-strokes. I've also used 25hp and 9.8hp motors, but didn't keep them.

Buy Whisper's motor!
I'd echo this - the 25 I run is about 50KG but I only ever 'carry it' about 2 yards max - from the boot to the transom and back again.

Lightly loaded it doesn't show much over a 15, but in matching boats on the same day a 15 was at WOT , while I was about half - both doing about 18 knts - but the 15 was 2 up and I was 3 up with a fair amount of 'stuff' in the boat.

Its only on a heavy boat you notice the extra power - but you notice the extra weight everytime you lift the engine.

Would I buy a Parsun - actually I probably woudl if the price was right - mainly as I like to look after 'stuff' so it would be cared for ( less liekely to pack up) and if its got a warranty with nearby dealer - I'd give it a go.
Old 17 July 2013, 11:19   #28

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
No need to register a 9.9hp in wales...?
Old 17 July 2013, 11:42   #29

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
The Tohatsu 18 hp two stroke weighs 41kg.

The OP is looking for a lightweight motor that he can lift in and out of his car without killing him!
Ahh, I thought it was heavier than the 36kg Yam and Mariner, the 15 Twat would be the same then.

I agree with others - the Twat 9.8 is *relatively* easy(ish) to carry up a short, steepish shingly beach but as ever the issue is more the shape and top heavy nature.

Moving a Yam 15 around even though it is only 10 more kilos - I found far more of a struggle and this was only in the garage.
Old 17 July 2013, 14:53   #30

The advantage of the 9.8 is that being a two stroke you can carry it one handed with the handle in front of the fuel intake and kill switch.

My Mariner 6hp four stroke weighed the same but had to be carried with two hands, as you could not use the handle due to oil spillage etc and it was harder to do, in fact l damaged my left arm doing it, which took over a year to recover.
Old 10 August 2013, 15:17   #31

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 25hp
Right chaps. After a lot of thought and even more pacing up and down I decided to forget about ever buying a parsuns outboard and instead spend my money on a decent engine. As speed is not an issue I went for a 2008 honda 10hp 4 STROKE not much lighter than my 25 2stroke but much better condition. Only bought it today so havent been out yet. Will keep you informed.

Bigs thanks to everyone for there input :-D
Old 11 August 2013, 10:57   #32

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
that is a cracking engine. oh and remember to turn the dam thing off! you will see what I mean when you run it! oh and for that reason wear the kill cord as someone I like a lot forgot to do these 2 things and now has a nice scar on his head for his trouble when is nephew put it into gear and reved the engine.

Dave
Old 11 August 2013, 14:02   #33

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 25hp
Clyde its awesome. Took it out this morning and it runs perfectly. Flat out I clocked 15mph on the gps which is good for me. I whizzed about for around 40 minutes and used very little fuel.

Now I have to decide what to do with the mariner 25hp 2 stroke