Old 13 October 2004, 14:19   #1

Town: Isles of Scilly
Make: Halmatic Pac 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid T4
Pacific jet drive

Just out of interest, has anyone out there ever fitted a jet unit into a mk1 pacific? Or does anyone know how easy it is to do? I like the idea of having a jet instead of a leg but cant quite afford a mk2!

Old 14 October 2004, 04:02   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dt125
Just out of interest, has anyone out there ever fitted a jet unit into a mk1 pacific? Or does anyone know how easy it is to do? I like the idea of having a jet instead of a leg but cant quite afford a mk2!
Never fitted one, but drove a P22 that had been converted by James Warlock of Lymington. Real laugh but a complete disaster. Thank god I didn't buy it. Thing wouldn't go in a straight line, mooring it was impossible and the drive would make the boat go starboard when as soon as the engine was started.
To be fair the boat need a lot of sorting and even with a "claimed" 200 hp engine it only managed about 15 knots.

Pete

Old 14 October 2004, 04:37   #3

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dt125
I looked into this in some detail because when I bought my boat it didnít have a leg and because I would have prefered a jet to a leg.

Looking at the various jets available I think that the Hamilton jet, although expensive, was definitely the best designed and strongest jet available so I based all my thinking on this.

To start with there is room in the P22 to fit a jet so there would be no need for major internal alterations. And things like lining up the prop shaft were all possible.

However, to fit a Hamilton you have to cut a hole I the bottom of the rib in the planing foot and this is where I started to run into installation design problems. By cutting a hole you are reducing the area of the planing foot and this has to be made up elsewhere or the boat will not plane in the same way as before. On the MK2 Pacificís the planing foot is longer and wider than on the MK1ís and there are also two small skegs on either side of the jet inlet to stop side slip. Doing this to a MK1 would take a lot of glass work and this is what finally put me off the idea.
Jets get a lot of criticism and in the case of the one James Wallrock had for sale it was probably justified, but you have to ask yourself why have the Navy started using them if they are as bad as some people think.

Incidentally I met the guy who bought James's rib he was trying to sell it for ages, anyone know if he still has it?
Des
Old 14 October 2004, 04:50   #4

Nope Phil managed to get rid of it thankfully. I just hope no one on here buys it.

Pete
Old 14 October 2004, 04:57   #5

It was dreadful, I think James just put all the spare parts he had available into one boat and hoped for the best, might explain why he ceased trading. Des
Old 14 October 2004, 05:10   #6

He offered it to me for £10k. Because the hull has a jet drive there was no bung in the transom to drain the hull. It had clearly been sat outside in his yard for some time because the hull probably had 400 gallons of water in it which had filled up the whole hull and was over the top of the alternator and starter. Suprisingly it did start I politely explained to him that he must be joking. Think the boat is still in Southampton.

Pete
Old 14 October 2004, 05:43   #7

I think I would really want to trial any jet boat before parting with hard earned cash and the thought of spending months of work converting a hull only to find its a disaster doesn't bear thinking about. I suspect halmatic have had to modify the hull for very good reasons.

Pete
Old 14 October 2004, 05:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
........ I politely explained to him that he must be joking....
Pete
James always did have a sense of humour Des
Old 14 October 2004, 06:41   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
Waterjets

Another thing to bear in mind is that a jet will almost cause a boat to run "stern heavy" because:

1. The hole cut in the bottom of the boat and the water jet tube reduces the buoyancy at the rear of the boat and

2. There is a virtual increase in displacement caused by the water passing through the jet having to be raised from the inlet to the outlet as well as being propelled aft.

The above are not a problem on a hull designed to take account of this but "may" be a problem on a retrofit.
Old 14 October 2004, 15:17   #10

Town: Isles of Scilly
Make: Halmatic Pac 22
Engine: Mermaid T4
Wow, sounds like a bit too much head scratching to me, think i'll just stick with the old sternpowr! Nearly up and running again now anyway - only bought the boat in july and its been out since the beginning of august after my bearing housing fell apart Anyone know a quick way of bleeding the tilt rams? ive run the batteries down twice now just moving the leg up + down for ages and it still wont go all the way up on its own???
Pete 7 hows your engine after the crank seal went?