Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 October 2013, 06:59   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Outboard winterisation needs fuel stabiliser?

Hi all,

About to do winterisation on my outboard, do I need fuel stabiliser? How do I use it? what stabiliser do I buy? How does it help?

Thanks everyone.
__________________

__________________
pleekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 08:15   #2
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 896
How much is there ethanol in the fuel you are using? If its less than 5% would not worry too much(pending on storage time), but anyway worth emptying the carbs / fuel lines before storage. I run only 98E(5% ethanol) and never had an issue(I dont use stabilizer) and the off seson is pretty long over here.

But, if unsure maybe bettre to use stabilizer or Aspen fuel.
__________________

__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 08:57   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
How much is there ethanol in the fuel you are using? If its less than 5% would not worry too much(pending on storage time), but anyway worth emptying the carbs / fuel lines before storage. I run only 98E(5% ethanol) and never had an issue(I dont use stabilizer) and the off seson is pretty long over here.

But, if unsure maybe bettre to use stabilizer or Aspen fuel.
Thanks for your reply. I don't know this much technical information. I just buy unleaded fuel from the petrol station (e.g. Shell station). Do you think I need to use fuel stabiliser then?
__________________
pleekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 09:53   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Our marine engineers advice us to do one of two things for winter
1. Empty tanks completely and drain down fule lines and filters
or
2. Fill the fuel tanks to full and add stabliser, being full will then prevent condensation (i.e water) building up. Then drain filter down and fuel lines.

The second way allows us to get out if needed at short notice and top up at end of day during cold months.
The advice seems to be if not being used do number 2 from what I am told
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 10:49   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Our marine engineers advice us to do one of two things for winter
1. Empty tanks completely and drain down fule lines and filters
or
2. Fill the fuel tanks to full and add stabliser, being full will then prevent condensation (i.e water) building up. Then drain filter down and fuel lines.

The second way allows us to get out if needed at short notice and top up at end of day during cold months.
The advice seems to be if not being used do number 2 from what I am told
Thanks for your reply. As I am very new to boating, I will be asking some "dumb" questions. I beg your pardon.

When you say "Empty fuel tanks", do you mean the usually red fuel tank? How do I drain down the fuel line and filters in the outboard? or are you referring to the fuel line in the fuel tank that you attach to the outboard and where's the fuel filter?
__________________
pleekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 12:22   #6
Member
 
paddlers's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,063
Simplest way for me is to put the outboard in a tank of freshwater . Run it until warm then disconnect the fuel line at the engine & let it tickover until it dies. I then assume the carbs are pretty empty. I then empty the rest of the fuel into a car (if it's petrol usually) or it sits in a fuel can until next year when I top my ride-on lawnmowers up !
__________________
paddlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 16:18   #7
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Simplest way for me is to put the outboard in a tank of freshwater . Run it until warm then disconnect the fuel line at the engine & let it tickover until it dies. I then assume the carbs are pretty empty. I then empty the rest of the fuel into a car (if it's petrol usually) or it sits in a fuel can until next year when I top my ride-on lawnmowers up !
There is one issue wit this procedure. You will strain the fuel pump as it has to work against vacuum if the line/connector is removed. This is easily fixed by leaving the fuel connector but remove the line from it, this way there is no vacuum.
__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 19:42   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleekh View Post

Thanks for your reply. I don't know this much technical information. I just buy unleaded fuel from the petrol station (e.g. Shell station). Do you think I need to use fuel stabiliser then?
A mate of mine works at a petrol station (sainsbury's) and reckons that all petrol is at least 5% bio ethanol in the EU by law now.
__________________
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 03:22   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 185
Is there any way to find out what the ethanol percentage is in the fuel you're buying in the UK? Doesn't seem to be anything on the pumps about it....
__________________
Smithyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 06:04   #10
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,595
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy View Post
Is there any way to find out what the ethanol percentage is in the fuel you're buying in the UK? Doesn't seem to be anything on the pumps about it....
Assume 5%, but 10% (E10) is on its way, it's already at the pumps in Europe. Ethanol is used as an octane booster, "premium" Łuels like Shell Vpower have higher ethanol% than bog standard unleaded, be warned
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.