Old 18 October 2012, 18:41   #1

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: Tanimola
Make: Brig F400S
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 40HP
Outboard Security

What is my best (and least complicated / expensive) method of fitting an outboard lock to my Brig F400

Really don't need any insurance 'complications' if the worse happens...

Thanks
Old 18 October 2012, 19:10   #2

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
Get a transom bolt lock, (replacement nut that replaces the original) insurance companys recomend them.
Look on e-bay, where we got ours from!
Old 18 October 2012, 19:12   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I'd ask my insurers for a list of approved locks or lock types, then fit the cheapest. Keep the receipt and a photo of it in situ. The thieves will get past it anyway...
Old 18 October 2012, 19:18   #4

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: Tanimola
Make: Brig F400S
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 40HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscubanut
Get a transom bolt lock, (replacement nut that replaces the original) insurance companys recomend them.
Look on e-bay, where we got ours from!
Are these standard sizes or engine specific?
Old 18 October 2012, 20:26   #5

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I read on here once, if you can, remove the cowling cover from the engine and store is separately, makes it much more difficult to sell on with no cowl, you can get one but you need proof of ownership, serial numbers etc etc, so it massively reduces the desirability of the engine/boat and engine.

Simple to do and makes sense to me. I do it to my engine.
Old 18 October 2012, 20:34   #6

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer
I read on here once, if you can, remove the cowling cover from the engine and store is separately, makes it much more difficult to sell on with no cowl, you can get one but you need proof of ownership, serial numbers etc etc, so it massively reduces the desirability of the engine/boat and engine.

Simple to do and makes sense to me. I do it to my engine.
Police down here offer a similar service, they sell you a waterproof canvas cover to replace it with, this has police slogans etc on it and you simply take your cowl home with you. Seemed to work.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 18 October 2012, 20:42   #7

Simples, where do you get the canvas covers from? Great idea.

I made mine, but it would be nice to have one that tells the scumbag what I've done and why I've done it...
Old 18 October 2012, 21:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer
Simples, where do you get the canvas covers from? Great idea.

I made mine, but it would be nice to have one that tells the scumbag what I've done and why I've done it...
Like I said it was a local police operation which worked well. They were supplied for around £17 via various outlets like boat jumbles, shows or police stations. You'd have to see if you have a local system in place as the ones down here would have Devon & Cornwall all over them, which may raise its own problems

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 19 October 2012, 07:13   #9

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
If your in the business of pinching outboards why would you then try and 'buy' a cowl, you're just going to go to a marina and steel one, unless everyone follows suit the plan is flawed.

Our local yard took all the legs off, thieves came in and still pinched them, I guess if you're selling for spares it doesn't matter.

I use a wheel nut type lock and a volcano one, I sometimes wonder if its worth taking them off as if someone wants my engine they'll probably cut it off and do more damage to the boat - would rather it was just unbolted than have the transom sawn off too. I just bought a less desirable engine in the end.
Old 19 October 2012, 07:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
If your in the business of pinching outboards why would you then try and 'buy' a cowl, you're just going to go to a marina and steel one, unless everyone follows suit the plan is flawed.

Our local yard took all the legs off, thieves came in and still pinched them, I guess if you're selling for spares it doesn't matter.

I use a wheel nut type lock and a volcano one, I sometimes wonder if its worth taking them off as if someone wants my engine they'll probably cut it off and do more damage to the boat - would rather it was just unbolted than have the transom sawn off too. I just bought a less desirable engine in the end.
Its that old theory of looking after yourself. If they see my motor with locks, no hood, prop removed etc then next to it is yours with its cowl on and the locks removed they will take yours

The Police claim that it had a 100% success rate - by that they mean of all the outboards with this cover on (instead of the cowl) not one engine had been stolen. Obviously engines in the area without this cover have still been nicked!!!

Old 19 October 2012, 07:28   #11

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Get a decent motorcycle chain and lock, store engine in the down position and chain the leg tight to the trailer. Even if they can unbolt or chain saw of the engine it is still attached to the trailer. Nothing is totally thief proof but you can only hope they take a look and think, too difficult and move on to another one.

Nothing wrong with a transom lock as well.

Andy
Old 19 October 2012, 07:29   #12

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Maybe I'm just a cynicle old git, every time I go the marina I'm relieved to see my boat is still there and in one peice.
Old 19 October 2012, 07:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I guess you are right, but it does help to slow them down/perhaps nick a different boat. And if all you have left is the cowl it proves to the insurance company you where trying everything.

The other plan I liked, was whilst moored up for lunch take your HT Leads with you, not to pratical with bigger engines but with my 9.8 its a great idea.

I feel no plan is completely foolproof, you just have to make it easier for them to nick some other poor buggers kit.

Surely they take the route of least resistance.