Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 December 2008, 16:52   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5
Outboard overheating problem.

Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I have a 4hp Yamaha outboard, i've had it about 4 years and it has always worked fine, but the last time I used it, it overheated whenever I tried to speed up, it ticks over fine and will run slow but other than that it overheats. The coolant water coming out of the back turned to steam, I'm guessing that its overheating anyway.

I've never used it in salt water but as it came to me second hand it probably has been in salt water at some point in its life.

Has anybody got any ideas, I'm guessing it could be the impellor, but what exactly I have no idea.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could shed any light on the problem.

Mark.
__________________

__________________
Metalface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 19:11   #2
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
To start look for any water obstructions on tail, remove, torq cylinder head to specs. Check water indicator to see if impeller is working. I would go for a complete water passages maintenance, specially if the engine was used on salt water and you don't know anything about it. Take cylinder head appart, remove water incrustations, clean well all water passages with thinner, decarbonize piston and head, change head gasket, torq to specs, change impeller, check impeller housing for cracks, leaks, change if needed, put new spark plug. Test if it's ok.

Happy Boating
__________________

__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 11:34   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
To start look for any water obstructions on tail, remove, torq cylinder head to specs. Check water indicator to see if impeller is working. I would go for a complete water passages maintenance, specially if the engine was used on salt water and you don't know anything about it. Take cylinder head appart, remove water incrustations, clean well all water passages with thinner, decarbonize piston and head, change head gasket, torq to specs, change impeller, check impeller housing for cracks, leaks, change if needed, put new spark plug. Test if it's ok.

Happy Boating
That all sounds a bit over kill to me...... I think at this point, check that the tell tail is not blocked to start with, and the next port of call is the impellor, as you say. It's a gear box off job, not major as long it's not siezed on.
__________________
Ian Sharlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 13:21   #4
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
it will probley need a new impeller so think i would have a look at the impeller and water pump housing first ,then whilst its off make shure that the pump passages and pipes are not blocked up with sand mud or silt ,i once had an engine in for repair and the pump was fully blocked with fine needles from a larch tree that was above the water barrell the person had been flushing his engine in .
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2008, 00:41   #5
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
That all sounds a bit over kill to me...... I think at this point, check that the tell tail is not blocked to start with, and the next port of call is the impellor, as you say. It's a gear box off job, not major as long it's not siezed on.
Metalface has stated "The coolant water coming out of the back turned to steam" so will asume no blockage on tail tale, maybe impellor had it's waterloo and engine has completely overheated, 4 years is a good time for mayor water passages interior cleaning, impeller & cylinder head change, it's not a complete engine overhaul, just time maintenance. Will have same engine working perfectly as before. Had this same problem years back, and it was due to mayor salt obstructions in all water passages over the years, even though the engine was fresh water flushed for 5 minutes after each use.
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2008, 07:11   #6
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,268
RIBase
I'd opt for new impeller (water pump kit) and check the thermostat housing. Could be the housing is totally salted up? In which case - clean out, flush and refit new thermostat.

If this doesn't work, then I'd think about cylinder head, etc.

To clean tell-tale channel - use nylon strimmer wire - perfect for the job.
__________________
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2008, 00:15   #7
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I'd opt for new impeller (water pump kit) and check the thermostat housing. Could be the housing is totally salted up? In which case - clean out, flush and refit new thermostat.
Might be wrong as don't know this 4 HP Yamaha model, but don't think has a thermostat, many brands small portables 5 HP or less, simply don't use them.
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2008, 09:12   #8
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,268
RIBase
Quote:
Might be wrong as don't know this 4 HP Yamaha model, but don't think has a thermostat
You're right Loco if the outboard is a 2-stroke. If it's a 4-stroke (F4) model then it will be part number 66M-12411-01.
__________________
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2008, 12:07   #9
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
You're right Loco if the outboard is a 2-stroke. If it's a 4-stroke (F4) model then it will be part number 66M-12411-01.
Yes, both answers are right, Metalface has not specified if it's a 2 or 4 strokes engine on his post, so both are valid each one on their current model.
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2008, 14:26   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: andover
Make: Renegade 720
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 verado
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 41
had the same problem on a mariner 4hp which i believe is the same as the yam,changed the impeller problem solved hope this helps
__________________

__________________
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.