Old 20 December 2008, 20:52   #1

Length: 3m +
Outboard overheating problem.

Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I have a 4hp Yamaha outboard, i've had it about 4 years and it has always worked fine, but the last time I used it, it overheated whenever I tried to speed up, it ticks over fine and will run slow but other than that it overheats. The coolant water coming out of the back turned to steam, I'm guessing that its overheating anyway.

I've never used it in salt water but as it came to me second hand it probably has been in salt water at some point in its life.

Has anybody got any ideas, I'm guessing it could be the impellor, but what exactly I have no idea.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could shed any light on the problem.

Mark.
Old 20 December 2008, 23:11   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
To start look for any water obstructions on tail, remove, torq cylinder head to specs. Check water indicator to see if impeller is working. I would go for a complete water passages maintenance, specially if the engine was used on salt water and you don't know anything about it. Take cylinder head appart, remove water incrustations, clean well all water passages with thinner, decarbonize piston and head, change head gasket, torq to specs, change impeller, check impeller housing for cracks, leaks, change if needed, put new spark plug. Test if it's ok.

Happy Boating
Old 21 December 2008, 15:34   #3

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
To start look for any water obstructions on tail, remove, torq cylinder head to specs. Check water indicator to see if impeller is working. I would go for a complete water passages maintenance, specially if the engine was used on salt water and you don't know anything about it. Take cylinder head appart, remove water incrustations, clean well all water passages with thinner, decarbonize piston and head, change head gasket, torq to specs, change impeller, check impeller housing for cracks, leaks, change if needed, put new spark plug. Test if it's ok.

Happy Boating
That all sounds a bit over kill to me...... I think at this point, check that the tell tail is not blocked to start with, and the next port of call is the impellor, as you say. It's a gear box off job, not major as long it's not siezed on.
Old 21 December 2008, 17:21   #4

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
it will probley need a new impeller so think i would have a look at the impeller and water pump housing first ,then whilst its off make shure that the pump passages and pipes are not blocked up with sand mud or silt ,i once had an engine in for repair and the pump was fully blocked with fine needles from a larch tree that was above the water barrell the person had been flushing his engine in .
Old 22 December 2008, 04:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
That all sounds a bit over kill to me...... I think at this point, check that the tell tail is not blocked to start with, and the next port of call is the impellor, as you say. It's a gear box off job, not major as long it's not siezed on.
Metalface has stated "The coolant water coming out of the back turned to steam" so will asume no blockage on tail tale, maybe impellor had it's waterloo and engine has completely overheated, 4 years is a good time for mayor water passages interior cleaning, impeller & cylinder head change, it's not a complete engine overhaul, just time maintenance. Will have same engine working perfectly as before. Had this same problem years back, and it was due to mayor salt obstructions in all water passages over the years, even though the engine was fresh water flushed for 5 minutes after each use.
Old 25 December 2008, 11:11   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'd opt for new impeller (water pump kit) and check the thermostat housing. Could be the housing is totally salted up? In which case - clean out, flush and refit new thermostat.

If this doesn't work, then I'd think about cylinder head, etc.

To clean tell-tale channel - use nylon strimmer wire - perfect for the job.
Old 27 December 2008, 04:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I'd opt for new impeller (water pump kit) and check the thermostat housing. Could be the housing is totally salted up? In which case - clean out, flush and refit new thermostat.
Might be wrong as don't know this 4 HP Yamaha model, but don't think has a thermostat, many brands small portables 5 HP or less, simply don't use them.
Old 27 December 2008, 13:12   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Might be wrong as don't know this 4 HP Yamaha model, but don't think has a thermostat
You're right Loco if the outboard is a 2-stroke. If it's a 4-stroke (F4) model then it will be part number 66M-12411-01.
Old 27 December 2008, 16:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
You're right Loco if the outboard is a 2-stroke. If it's a 4-stroke (F4) model then it will be part number 66M-12411-01.
Yes, both answers are right, Metalface has not specified if it's a 2 or 4 strokes engine on his post, so both are valid each one on their current model.
Old 27 December 2008, 18:26   #10

Town: andover
Make: Renegade 720
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 verado
had the same problem on a mariner 4hp which i believe is the same as the yam,changed the impeller problem solved hope this helps
Old 29 December 2008, 22:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
had the same problem on a mariner 4hp which i believe is the same as the yam,changed the impeller problem solved hope this helps
If you already have experiemented a engine overheat, would be advisable to torq head cylinder to factory specs as the head gasket will be a bit lose due to heat. Engine will work better.
Old 12 January 2009, 21:03   #12

Sorry its took me so long to reply, I lost my internet.

Anyway, its a 2 Stroke. Thanks for all the replys, when I get a minute I'll pull it apart and have a look.
Old 30 August 2009, 17:39   #13

Town: Hardyville, Virginia
Boat name: KarenLee
Make: C&C
Length: 10m +
Engine: inboard/diesel/22hp
thermostat

I am also new to this, so please bare with me
I have a Yamaha 2 stroke 4HP and the water dose not flow out in a smooth pace.
I have change the impeller and still no difference.
Can you tell me where the thermostat is.

Thanks, neol
Old 30 August 2009, 19:34   #14

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
i cannot comment on your particular make but not all of the smaller outboards have a proper tell tale water stream squirting out or with yours it could be just blocked up where it comes out ,with some it just goes out with the exhaust relife ports as a fine mist ,and most small engines dont have a thermostat,
Old 09 May 2010, 22:21   #15

Well its been about 18 months since I posted this topic and I've finally got round to looking at it tonight.

I took the water pump to bits and the impeller looks fine and clean. I tried the engine in some water mainly because its been a while since it was run and I couldn't get it to overheat, it most need to be underload/in gear before it gets hot enough for the tell tail to turn to steam.

So whats next? Take the head off?
Old 10 May 2010, 19:48   #16

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalface View Post
Well its been about 18 months since I posted this topic and I've finally got round to looking at it tonight.

I took the water pump to bits and the impeller looks fine and clean. I tried the engine in some water mainly because its been a while since it was run and I couldn't get it to overheat, it most need to be underload/in gear before it gets hot enough for the tell tail to turn to steam.

So whats next? Take the head off?
No, change the impellor. It might look fine does not mean it will work though. 4 years is a long time for an impellor change eitherway.

If it then overheats I would move on to water passage cleanup etc.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 21:26   #17

Thanks mate, I'll give that a try then.