Old 11 July 2017, 05:57   #1

Length: 3m +
Outboard motor

Hi all, I'm Ian and I'm new to ribbing but not boating, I have just bought a 3.3M hydroforce and although it states it can take up to a 15hp I'm wondering if a smaller engine would be adequate, lets say 6-8 hp, and are there any secondhand 4 stroke short shafts available not a million miles away, I'm in Essex.
Old 11 July 2017, 06:05   #2

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Hi & welcome. Unless you specifically want to go slow my advice is to get the largest engine your boat is rated for then you can always go slower by using less throttle. Smaller usually equals lighter but if you want to plane easily with a bit of weight in the boat you need the power to get it on the plane. I was wrestling my Tohatsu 20 hp 4 stroke about at the weekend and nearly gave myself a hernia compared to my old Mercury 15 hp 2 stroke but the extra power certainly makes a difference 5 up in my Honwave 3.5 AE.
Old 11 July 2017, 06:17   #3

Thanks for your knowledge, I will certainly bear in mind when looking.
Old 11 July 2017, 07:27   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Honda 15hp standard shaft here: Buy Used Outboards Honda 15 hp 4 stroke 15.0HP Outboard at Bill Higham Marine
Old 11 July 2017, 07:38   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello Ian, welcome to the forum. I wonder where in Essex you might launch? We live in Cambridgeshire but our launch location of choice is West Mersea.

Engine power requirements do depend very much on load and how you'll use the SIB. For example where we are on holiday at the moment the estuary mouth tide can run at 5kts so unless you time going out in the short period around slack water then the max rated OB size is a good idea. But if you were just on the river 4-6hp would be fine.

Re load we are two adults plus teen, dog and gear. 15hp is the minimum we can get away with and our 20 is far better. But yesterday I was watching two light teen lads with no extra kit whiz about the estuary in a SIB just over 3m with only a 6hp and it went really well.

Weight is a big consideration as Paddlers says. Our 20hp is light for its power at 44kg but even so it's much more difficult to move about than previous 35kg 15hp and 26kg 9.8hp (which was a breeze).

Re where to buy you have to decide on size then get looking. There are loads of good ones (plus the odd duffer) on eBay, gumtree etc. Seamark Nunn at Ipswich have quite a few.

David
Old 13 July 2017, 13:30   #6

Hi David, West Mersea like yourself as it has the added bonus of lovely seafood, or Heybridge basin up the river. I do have already an electric motor that's good for the rive so like you say better to get a bigger outboard for the sea, but not one that weighs a ton as most times it will be with just my wife and I and you know who will be holding the petrol can don't you haha
Old 13 July 2017, 19:08   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Get a 15 hp you won't regret it
Old 13 July 2017, 19:11   #8

Town: South Brent
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Hi Ian,

Had had the exact same boat a few years ago with a 9.9hp 4 stroke on it. I used to get 16knts with 2 adults on board which seemed fairly quick in that boat!

Cheers Paul

Tags
outboard