Old 03 April 2013, 17:44   #1

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Outboard maintenance

I have a two stroke 25hp tohatsu outboard. I wanted to know what the best product is for protecting my outboard.

After checking under the cowl, I saw that some salt had built up ontop of the pull start and other parts. There are also 1 or two areas where some surfact rust has built up. I am planning to do a though clean. I have a fine wire brush which came with the outboard. But obviously I want it to stay looking nice and clean. I have seen the quicksilver protection spray. Will this do the trick, or is there a cheap or even more effective product I could use.

Also, I have been told by a number of people that annual services are just a scam to get you to pay out. The outboard is working fine e.g. pumping water well etc. Would it be a good idea to buy the service kit and change the impeller, gear oil, spark plugs etc, or shall I just go by the phrase 'If its not broken don't fix it!'

Would it also be a good idea to grease the prop shaft regularly?

Thanks for help

Henry
Old 03 April 2013, 17:54   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
I have a two stroke 25hp tohatsu outboard. I wanted to know what the best product is for protecting my outboard.

After checking under the cowl, I saw that some salt had built up ontop of the pull start and other parts. There are also 1 or two areas where some surfact rust has built up. I am planning to do a though clean. I have a fine wire brush which came with the outboard. But obviously I want it to stay looking nice and clean. I have seen the quicksilver protection spray. Will this do the trick, or is there a cheap or even more effective product I could use.
Try this:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Action-Can...-/271111241466

Does the same job as QS corrosion guard.

Quote:
Also, I have been told by a number of people that annual services are just a scam to get you to pay out. The outboard is working fine e.g. pumping water well etc. Would it be a good idea to buy the service kit and change the impeller, gear oil, spark plugs etc, or shall I just go by the phrase 'If its not broken don't fix it!'
Whoever's telling you that is a muppet.

Yes, buy the service kit. You won't know if something's wrong 'til you break down if you don't at least inspect it and regrease everything.
Yearly gear oil changes are important too. You won't know if there's water in the gearbox unless you do them.
Quote:

Thanks for help

Henry
Yes.Yearly at least.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 18:00   #3

Town: isla plana spain
Make: humber/yam 360s
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 90+15+20
MMSI: mmsi 235907606
Quote:

Thanks for help

Henry
hi henry, the wire brush will be brass & is for cleaning the plugs. whatever else you dont do do not neglect the gear oil, change twice a year costs very low & grease the prop shaft, you dont want that seizing, spray power head with wd40 if you want to save a bob
Old 03 April 2013, 18:01   #4

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Personally I change the impeller every year, it may sound a bit much but for £20 it gives me piece of mind, it's also a chance to drop a little lube on all threads on the pump, gearbox bolts and the prop shaft splines that mate with the crankshaft. Whilst its on the bench I change the oil and grease the prop hub splines replacing the split pin while I'm at it.

As for the engine, it's just a check/replace affair, plugs, filters, leads ect. A little lube on all pivot points helps too.
Old 03 April 2013, 18:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Try this:- Action Can - Supertrol 001 Rust Proofing Fluid | eBay

Does the same job as QS corrosion guard.

Whoever's telling you that is a muppet.

Yes, buy the service kit. You won't know if something's wrong 'til you break down if you don't at least inspect it and regrease everything.
Yearly gear oil changes are important too. You won't know if there's water in the gearbox unless you do them.Yes.Yearly at least.
Is there a decent thread on servicing a small 2 stroke engine?

The service kit come with
1x Tohatsu 345-65021-0 Impeller

1x Tohatsu 346-02230-0 Fuel Filter Assembly

2x Quicksilver Premium Gear Lube Tube 237ml (92-802844Q02)

what else do I need? They are asking £59 for this, is that reasonable?
Old 03 April 2013, 18:15   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:

Thanks for help

Henry
Are these people who also dont service the car or anything else!

as others have stated some jobs must be done and it would be silly not to, but as for who does it, well thats your choice in the same way some people service their own car and some use a garage. Having said that, it does tend to be a but more fun than calling the AA when your outboard stops working so if you do go down the DIY option just dont muck it up

oh this might also help
Servicing | Glasgow and Clyde Outboard Services Outboard Engine Servicing

dave
Old 03 April 2013, 18:17   #7

thanks for all of the replies. My checklist is:

- service engine by changing spark plugs, gear oil, fuel filter, impeller
- clean any surface rust, salt or grime from the engine
- spray engine with anti rust fluid
- grease prop shaft

Sounds ok?
Old 03 April 2013, 18:54   #8

Town: southampton
Boat name: hydradrive
Make: yamaha
Length: no boat
Engine: sterndrives
Grease all grease point , grease spline When offering back up to power head after impeller change. Clean stainless insert in water pump housing of scale grease all mating surfaces on water pump housing. Grease the bolts for the unit to mid section . Basically grease the shit out of everything
Old 03 April 2013, 20:18   #9

Town: Fenwick & Arran
Boat name: The Black Mark
Make: Humber Assault
Engine: Mariner Bigfoot 60hp
RIBase
For what it's worth....bought mine last year (mariner 60 2-stroke) from a dealer who swore it had been serviced. It was temperamental all season. Had if properly serviced over the winter and its like a completely different engine - starting, idling, general running all better. Worth the money for the peace of mind. I'm no mechanic though so wouldn't even attempt self service - too many bad DIY experiences which ended up costing more money in the end.
Old 03 April 2013, 20:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrode View Post
For what it's worth....bought mine last year (mariner 60 2-stroke) from a dealer who swore it had been serviced. It was temperamental all season. Had if properly serviced over the winter and its like a completely different engine - starting, idling, general running all better. Worth the money for the peace of mind. I'm no mechanic though so wouldn't even attempt self service - too many bad DIY experiences which ended up costing more money in the end.
well, i am only looking at replacing the really simple things such as the gear oil and impeller. I wouldn't attempt anything such as stripping the head
Old 03 April 2013, 20:37   #11

Town: Fenwick & Arran
Boat name: The Black Mark
Make: Humber Assault
Engine: Mariner Bigfoot 60hp
RIBase
If I was more confident about these things I would do the same. I guess it depends on how handy you are!
Old 03 April 2013, 20:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrode View Post
If I was more confident about these things I would do the same. I guess it depends on how handy you are!
I think as long as you start with simple jobs, you learn and progress. For example my little 4hp mariner wasn't running right. Got told it was probably a dirty carb. I went straight in at te deep end by removing the carb, stripping and cleaning it. Only problem was I ruptured the gaskets causing an air leak. I learn from that. To be more careful. I still only know minimal things about engines, but youtube videos help me out loads, going through it step by step. Try it, might surprise yourself
Old 03 April 2013, 20:56   #13
RIBnet Supporter

A simple service of a carbed 2 stroke isn't rocket science. If something needs fixed or adjusted then it's a bit more complicated. I did my wee 9.8 and it was very handy.

Get a manual and read it
Get the parts
Get a gear lube pump kit
Get new gear box screw seals/washers
Use the right grease
Be gentle with stuff...

The first service might cost you as much as a "shop" job, but you will learn soooo much and the next service will cost you buttons.
Old 03 April 2013, 20:57   #14

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I had a very nasty experience of so called 'expert' marine engineers destroying a perfectly good engine so I won't be either using or recommending them but you have to accept that most of these guys are working on marine engines every day & have the best equipment & knowledge to pick up potential problems !!! Let's face it NOBODY wants a breakdown at sea. We never worried too much in the Lake District when all it meant was a lot of paddling to shore, a little different in the sea when your life & that of others might depend on it !!
Part of the fun of owning a boat for me is working on it & most jobs are fairly straight forward if you have the tools plus there's a wealth of information on t'internet.....
Old 03 April 2013, 21:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
A simple service of a carbed 2 stroke isn't rocket science. If something needs fixed or adjusted then it's a bit more complicated. I did my wee 9.8 and it was very handy.

Get a manual and read it
Get the parts
Get a gear lube pump kit
Get new gear box screw seals/washers
Use the right grease
Be gentle with stuff...

The first service might cost you as much as a "shop" job, but you will learn soooo much and the next service will cost you buttons.
Why?
Old 03 April 2013, 21:18   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Why?
Because you may be "tooling up" for the job. A lot of the consumables are cheap in bulk but will do many services. Do you have proper marine rated grease? Prop pins? block spray?

FYI, check the plugs before you bin them, they may be fine or be of use as a backup set.

Don't forget to check/replace the pull start rope (if you have one).
Old 03 April 2013, 21:19   #17

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
thanks for all of the replies. My checklist is:

- service engine by changing spark plugs, gear oil, fuel filter, impeller
- clean any surface rust, salt or grime from the engine
- spray engine with anti rust fluid
- grease prop shaft

Sounds ok?
The fuel filter reservoir on the engine can be cleaned, rather than replacing. Simply disconnect, rinse the mesh filter with a little methylated spirit, ditching any petrol in the reservoir, then reconnect. Prime the fuel bulb to get the petrol through the system. External water/fuel filters are a different story and need to be replaced annually.

Only thing I'd add is to replace the start cord/rope. I had a Yammie 25hp starter cord break on me and had to get a salmon fish farm boat tow me in. Replaced the cord every other year there after.
Old 03 April 2013, 21:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
The fuel filter reservoir on the engine can be cleaned, rather than replacing. Simply disconnect, rinse the mesh filter with a little methylated spirit, ditching any petrol in the reservoir, then reconnect. Prime the fuel bulb to get the petrol through the system. External water/fuel filters are a different story and need to be replaced annually.

Only thing I'd add is to replace the start cord/rope. I had a Yammie 25hp starter cord break on me and had to get a salmon fish farm boat tow me in. Replaced the cord every other year there after.
Yeh, I got a spare starter rope so I will replace that soon. But at the moment it is fiiine condition
Old 03 April 2013, 21:24   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Yeh, I got a spare starter rope so I will replace that soon. But at the moment it is fiiine condition
A suggestion - replace it before it appears to need it. You then have a spare AND you know how to fit it
Old 03 April 2013, 21:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
a suggestion - replace it before it appears to need it. You then have a spare and you know how to fit it
plan