Old 15 May 2012, 09:08   #1

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Outboard anti theft devices?

Alright folks

Just renewing my RIB insurance and they are asking about an anti-theft device on my outboard? I've got a Yam 90 2 stroke. What sort of thing should I be looking at?

Si
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 10:21   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh
Alright folks

Just renewing my RIB insurance and they are asking about an anti-theft device on my outboard? I've got a Yam 90 2 stroke. What sort of thing should I be looking at?

Si
Normally"insurance approved" anti-theft transom bolts. Easiest way would be to ask them what they require.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 11:31   #3

Town: Plymouth / Portsmouth
One of these is what you want:

Black Dog Marine boat engines - outboard and inboard diesel and petrol motors installed

Just ordered one myself very well made and approved by the insurance. If you put ribnet into the checkout box you get 10% off too.
Old 15 May 2012, 11:35   #4

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I can confirm that they are a very robust lock. I think if you have one of them fitted it will be a chain saw job to get the engine

TSM
Old 15 May 2012, 11:43   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick
I can confirm that they are a very robust lock. I think if you have one of them fitted it will be a chain saw job to get the engine

TSM
Don't speak too soon!

Tbh, you just need something that is approved by your insurer more than anything, and take a photo of it on to ensure you're covered in a claim.

If they want to steal it, they will. Chainsaws have been used on transoms and most lock nuts just get ground off anyway.

Other option is a tracker, then you and/or police can go get it. But it's a cost benefit scenario.

A newish 4stroke 140-250 is worth tracking as its a significant amount of money and left anywhere outside unprotected, will eventually go! It's what the bigger professionals seem to be after!

An old Yam 90 is prob the less professional outfits choice, so bolts etc may deter that type of criminal hopefully.
Old 15 May 2012, 12:07   #6

Cheers for the input fellas, I'll look into transom bolts. The boat+engine only cost £6500 so not gonna be fitting trackers or anything like that! I'll see what the insurance want and take it from there. Boat stays outside my house on a street with a dead end (we are the last house) so its only visible for those who visit the 15 or so houses round our end of the street, also it's a pretty small town so not overly worried about theft *touches wood* it's more just to keep me covered. My only concern is gypsy's. Sorry - I obviously meant the travelling community. How un-PC of me to single them out and suggest they are thieves, when in reality they are all good honest people who work hard and pay tax. Ahem.
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
Old 15 May 2012, 12:13   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Cheers for the input fellas, I'll look into transom bolts. The boat+engine only cost £6500 so not gonna be fitting trackers or anything like that! I'll see what the insurance want and take it from there. Boat stays outside my house on a street with a dead end (we are the last house) so its only visible for those who visit the 15 or so houses round our end of the street, also it's a pretty small town so not overly worried about theft *touches wood* it's more just to keep me covered. My only concern is gypsy's. Sorry - I obviously meant the travelling community. How un-PC of me to single them out and suggest they are thieves, when in reality they are all good honest people who work hard and pay tax. Ahem.
Don't dismiss trackers too readily, they are now cheap & cost effective. We've had a couple of threads about them lately.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 15 May 2012, 12:18   #8

Length: 7m +
Cheaper than trackers, fit transom lock bolt things and datatags/data dots which may help.

Datatag ID Limited Marine Boats and Ribs System
Old 15 May 2012, 15:37   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Transom bolts are cheap quick and easy and v easy to take with you when you change your boat so they get our vote.

trackers are great but we would only recommend if the boat is your pride and joy and you want that boat and only that boat. Even then you might not get it back or back in the same condition so the choice is yours. oh what ever you do please take a pic of it fitted and keep the receipt as some insurance companies insist on this.

happy boating

Dave
Old 15 May 2012, 16:57   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
trackers are great but we would only recommend if the boat is your pride and joy and you want that boat and only that boat.
Dave
How so?
Old 15 May 2012, 17:48   #11

1: cost. more expensive than bolt locks and most insurance companies do not request them
2: for some people getting their boat back damaged is worse than not getting back at all as they then have to agree with the insurance company what the damage is and what it will cost to repair and even if this is done it still takes time ( in one case over 5 months due to the dispute and they were still not happy with the amount)
3: bolt locks are a visual deterrent,

for me number 1 is the key point but customers have pointed out that fighting with your insurance company can take ages and some cases a whole season but I have not had this happen to me yet and fingers crossed it never will.

Dave
Old 15 May 2012, 17:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave

How so?
Agreed. £175 to track £6k is worth it.

Also, get it nicked, then the insurance pay out engine nicked (it's fairly common!) then you are pretty much uninsurable!

Trackers worth it.
Old 15 May 2012, 18:16   #13

Hi

dont you think the sneaky sods who are targeting outboard engines look under cowling as this is where the ones I have seen have been fitted? If the GPS tracker is on the boat and well hidden then what stops thenmnicking the engine?

also many boats have no security and I like something the sneaky sods can see so that they go for easier targets.

Dave
ps changing the topic a bit as we all have different opinions I would be curious to know how many people do you actually think have insurance? and how many have any form of anti theft device be it a good or bad one.
Old 15 May 2012, 18:25   #14

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
been there, got the tee shirt, and don't want to do it again

we have fitted an insurance approved Volcano Bolt Loc, supplied by motorloc, excellent piece of kit and would deffinately recommend them main thing is record everything on the boat, engine serial no's etc, keep service records to help prove values, and probably the biggest thing is to tell your ins company where your boat is and if you take it on holiday, or for service, we were very lucky as we had some very good advice when we bought the rib
Old 15 May 2012, 19:15   #15

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Alright folks

Si
You have a Yam 90 2 stroke :GRR:

You have what everybody wants on (particulary on here) so get yourself a nice underground bunker and a tin hat, falling that hide it away in a shipping container, failing that I suppose you can settle for the Volcano lock everybody has recommended. Great bits of kit. Worth the slightly extra outlay.

Beautiful motors. Enjoy!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 15 May 2012, 21:30   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
................I would be curious to know how many people do you actually think have insurance? and how many have any form of anti theft device be it a good or bad one.
Dunno It had never occurred to me that people wouldn't have insurance. Maybe if I had a boat worth a couple of grand, I might dither. I cant believe that people will chuck thousands if not tens of thousands at a boat & then not spend a couple of hundred insuring it. It cost me around a hundred quid to Datatag & fit a tracker to BP. The running costs of the tracker are around a tenner a year. We'll never stop boat / engine theft, but there's no point making it easy for the thieving ba****s.
WRG. to getting the boat back damaged, hopefully with the tracker set to ringfence, the tw4ts won't get it away in the first place, or at least won't get far. If they do, you can at least show the insurance company that you have done everything reasonably practicable.
Tracker
Datatag
Outboard locks
AIS
Wheel clamp
Hitch lock
Stored under cover in a locked compound
What more can I do?
Old 16 May 2012, 06:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave

Dunno It had never occurred to me that people wouldn't have insurance. Maybe if I had a boat worth a couple of grand, I might dither. I cant believe that people will chuck thousands if not tens of thousands at a boat & then not spend a couple of hundred insuring it. It cost me around a hundred quid to Datatag & fit a tracker to BP. The running costs of the tracker are around a tenner a year. We'll never stop boat / engine theft, but there's no point making it easy for the thieving ba****s.
WRG. to getting the boat back damaged, hopefully with the tracker set to ringfence, the tw4ts won't get it away in the first place, or at least won't get far. If they do, you can at least show the insurance company that you have done everything reasonably practicable.
Tracker
Datatag
Outboard locks
AIS
Wheel clamp
Hitch lock
Stored under cover in a locked compound
What more can I do?
Rottweiler?
Old 16 May 2012, 06:58   #18

Well I have decided to go for the yamaha bolt lock - £55 but looks the part. I have a wheel clamp, hitch lock built in to trailer and also another hitch lock fitted. will give tracker a bit of thought in the future but I'm still waiting to hear back with a quote for a trailer axle so that gets priority for now.

As for my yam 90 - my girlfriend is an angry person from Birmingham....stay away from my yam or I'll release her.... Maybe I should get a 'beware of the brummy' sign for my garden - that should keep 'em out! What's with the massive demand for them? Just the crippling cost of the equivalent 4 stroke?
Old 16 May 2012, 07:21   #19

Town: Plymouth
It's a combination of cost to upgrade and the fact they are perfectly weighted for the infamous Sea Rider club. Plus they are becoming hard to find.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 16 May 2012, 08:48   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL

Rottweiler?
Black Lab, but he's as much use as a chocolate fire guard in the guard dog dept. he'd give your leg a good humping