Old 05 March 2018, 10:18   #21

Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
just wanted to ask about compression test, the guy has said its had one done and all four are at 125psi . i can get hold of a compression test, but i once heard when you do one its best to take out all spark plugs and test each cylinder for reading apparently you get a better even compression of the four cylinders this way, rather than doing one at i time, is this the best way ?
Old 05 March 2018, 10:31   #22

Kill cord unplugged, all plugs out, throttle wide open, done on a warm engine and do each cylinder.
Old 05 March 2018, 10:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Kill cord unplugged, all plugs out, throttle wide open and done on a warm engine and do each cylinder.
big thanks Xk59D
Old 05 March 2018, 10:48   #24

Halfords sell compression gauges if you need one meant to add.
Old 06 March 2018, 17:43   #25

Hay guys
i brought the outboard and what a monster it is, its huge
think it will for sure push my boat along nicely.the guy i brought it from was really genuine and as looked after the outboard to good standard, started it up and sounded lovely, no knocking or rattling, pumped water well, give me all the ins and outs on maintenance at keeping it in good running order, so very pleased with it.Didn't manage to do a compression test as i could get the kit, but he had one carried out has many people that were interested were asking for the compression, said they were all at 125psi, i do believe him again he was really nice and good reason for selling the outboard ( upgrading to a 150 opti ) picking it up in a few weeks and cant wait to get it fitted and get out on the water in Exmouth again, just wanted to say big thank you to the members for your help and advice, really appreciated. Matt
Old 06 March 2018, 18:53   #26

I think you will be surprised how much power you have Now, those are probably one of the best engines yam made. Feed them plenty of juice and enjoy.
Old 06 March 2018, 21:42   #27

thanks Xk59D
Old 06 March 2018, 23:02   #28

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Yam c4

My dive club has a yam v4 2 st from 1994 and it's in perfect condition, an absolutely bril engine, the only part to fail was a switchbox last year, otherwise it's only ever had service parts., which we get at a good price from bhg marine.

They are easy to diy service, and have loads of torque to push or 5,5 tornado rib. We run a couple of props can't rembet the sizes but both Michigan wheel.

Always wash it down and flush, it sounds great just burbles at tick over and roars when it's opened up, we found the Manuel somewhere on the net.
Old 07 March 2018, 23:35   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
My dive club has a yam v4 2 st from 1994 and it's in perfect condition, an absolutely bril engine, the only part to fail was a switchbox last year, otherwise it's only ever had service parts., which we get at a good price from bhg marine.

They are easy to diy service, and have loads of torque to push or 5,5 tornado rib. We run a couple of props can't rembet the sizes but both Michigan wheel.

Always wash it down and flush, it sounds great just burbles at tick over and roars when it's opened up, we found the Manuel somewhere on the net.
Thank you davej
some good re insurance there, glad i got the outboard cant wait to get it fitted now.
Thank you Matt
Old 17 March 2018, 23:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by matata View Post
I have a Bayliner 20'. It had a Force 120 . It finally expired. It was a great engine with loads of bang for water skiing. Was heavy on the juice. I replaced it with a Honda 90. 30kg heavier. Its no good for water skiing.wakeboarding but we get through about a third of the fuel and no oil. It doesn't sound as nice as the Force either. The heavier Honda changed the trim of the boat completely. Stern down. Originally the starter battery (nearly 20kg)was in the stern. I moved it and rewired it to the bow and the boat sits very well. The Honda is 156kg. I would not put anything heavier on the back. The added advantage was that every time the boat set off with the battery in the stern it got covered with a rush of deck water.Now it stays nice and dry. I put it in the front starboard hatch.Hope that helps.Nik
Hi matata i was thinking of doing what you've done with the battery and moving it up to the bow, as it worked out ok for you ? im just a bit worried about moving it there due to how its going to be bouncing up and down surly that isn't a good thing for a battery, im thinking cocktail shaker. don't get me wrong i think it would be good to shift some weight from the stern as this yam v4 is still a heavy outboard. i also now have a 2stroke tank that holds around 10ltrs when full, that i think will be fine to put in the bow. whats your thoughts ?
Old 18 March 2018, 07:51   #31

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i had a v4 130 on the osprey and the remote oil tank was under the jockey seat .cracking outboard for an old girl tho once the carbs had been cleaned out and set up was never a moments bother smooth as silk and very torquey sounded lovely wasent bad on fuel either all things considered .good luck with it
Old 20 March 2018, 21:21   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
i had a v4 130 on the osprey and the remote oil tank was under the jockey seat .cracking outboard for an old girl tho once the carbs had been cleaned out and set up was never a moments bother smooth as silk and very torquey sounded lovely wasent bad on fuel either all things considered .good luck with it
hi beerbelly
what size was the ospray ? and what sort of speeds did you get it unto
Old 20 March 2018, 21:53   #33

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I think the osprey eagle was 5.6 metre and it would hit bang on 40 knots on flat water was quite a heavy old thing but solid check out my profile pic
Old 21 March 2018, 18:59   #34

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
Hi Arkamelis. I was down at my boat today and Ive taken a photo on my I phone of my battery installation in the bow for you. If you pm me your mob number I can send it from my I phone. I do like a generous battery for starting and I,m sure mine is 110 amp hr.Youll need a similar size. I can check the measurements for you. I put it in a battery box which was bolted in several places to solid sides . I then ratchet strap the battery in. The leads I think I uprated ,because of the distance, to 28mm square. I can check all this for you. The leads go under the helm where I have a battery master switch .It was a bit fiddly but its made a big difference. The battery stays nice and dry.Vibration or pounding isn't a problem. Easy to access.Before I did this ,as I opened the throttle, any salt water on the deck would rush back and flow over the battery in the back. A horrible arrangement!
Your Yam is the same weight as my honda! It will go very well. Moving your 20 litre oil tank might be a little more difficult. My battery is in the front starboard locker. The port locker has a anchor and chain. I reckon put the oil tank where the battery was at the back and you'll be fine. If I can be of any more help just ask. nik
Old 21 March 2018, 20:29   #35

my capri

1990 bayliner capri
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0600.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	123873  
Old 21 March 2018, 20:40   #36

battery compartment

hi nick, my battery is in the right compartment, and junk in the left compartment , so if i was to help reduce weight i again could move battery up to the bow has there is compartments in the cuddy left and right sides, was thinking battery one side and oil tank the other
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1297.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	123874  

Tags
outboard