Old 27 August 2008, 05:53   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Thanks all - I was told about the relay for the trim being the same as the ignition one , but without trim I would end up leaving a very expensive prop in several pieces on the way out of Christchurch harbour , and probably ending up bending the prop shaft aswell.

I will play safe, get it changed & hope it fixs the problem. At least I know if it happens somewhere 'deep' I can get very close to home. Where are the relays located in the engine ? I'v ehad the cover off several times , but on a new complex motor all I generally manage to identify are the plugs/ air intake & starter !

Old 03 September 2008, 17:18   #12

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Thanks all - I was told about the relay for the trim being the same as the ignition one , but without trim I would end up leaving a very expensive prop in several pieces on the way out of Christchurch harbour , and probably ending up bending the prop shaft aswell.

I will play safe, get it changed & hope it fixs the problem. At least I know if it happens somewhere 'deep' I can get very close to home. Where are the relays located in the engine ? I'v ehad the cover off several times , but on a new complex motor all I generally manage to identify are the plugs/ air intake & starter !
Three relays in a line, on the port side of the engine, (i think!!) low down, should be fairly easy to spot

Old 27 September 2008, 09:40   #13

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Same again this morning !- I'm starting to wonder if it just doesnt like cold air , or I'm somehow flooding it , or not choking it etc . The key says push to choke , but usually I have no need to . On these motors does it actually do anything ? I'd guess wwith injectin there should be no need !

So back to Sq 1 - am charging batteries as we seak as I ran them down abit trying to get it going. It only seesm to happen if its not been run for a week or two , so I'm guess ing its this . New starting battery going in & old one will run bilge pump !

Good job I've stiil got the smaller boat - still went for a quick blast in that & for breakfast @ tukton !

Its a great day out there !