RIBnet supporter

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Why not give Kieron @ Ribshop a call?

The trouble is more people are likely to slag off a dealer on a forum but not often sing their praises!?!?!?

I for one have not heard any complaints about the ribshop but I stand to be corrected? They have never let me down anyway...

Alternatively Lee @ Fairweather.....

Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 09:23   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
It is interesting the way you worded some of these things - I'm not sure if that is how they did it or just they way you typed it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Has old thermostat and needs upgrading to new unit.
so its old or its not working? the two are quite different! if its just old - then why does it NEED upgrading - have Barrus recalled the original?
Quote:
Trim ram ball joint things missing so needs new rams.
I don't know what that is but replacing a whole ram because one part is missing seems excessive (like when citreon told me I needed a whole new light cluster because the spring that holds the bulb in place had gone awol).
Quote:
Brass fittings on water hose kit corodedpink and need replacing with new non brass kit. (believe its hoses that lift water to top of block)
if its just surface corrosion will they not just clean up? Brass was obviously 'good enough' 8 yrs ago.
Quote:
Exhaust gas lower hose is brittle and a new design is available
does brittle mean 'and is likely to fail' or does it mean 'if we have to take it off/on for any reason will need replacing because it will snap' - ok so a new design is available - but if the old one is working and not about to fail then why bother.

The way its worded most of these things could be 'nice to do' or 'advisory' rather than actually needing done. Certainly in the car world - the idea number of people fixing things has dwindled massively and the modern way seems to be to remove component and replace it rather than fixing/servicing/cleaning the part and refitting. What everyone else says is of course quite right - with your o/board it is a critical device on the boat - but the dealer knows that is how we all think and is selling you on the 'just-in-case' issue.
Old 19 January 2010, 09:36   #13
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Optimax Manuals here : http://www.northernexposurerescue.or..._Resource.html

Chris
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 12:18   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Trim ram ball joint things missing so needs new rams.
Just had a quick look at the manual that CJL posted. - That's the same 3- ram unit that;s been floating around for years. - Ball Joint????? I can think it might be one of two items - either the thrust pads screwed to the swivel bracket) or the plastic sleve that goes between the "tilt " ram & the pin on the swivel bracket.

I replaced the latter on a Yam PT - the bushes were about a fiver........
Old 19 January 2010, 12:35   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I think the 200 is a differant block (v6?), but guess the 'bits' are common on the rams etc - water system is bound to be differant.....
Old 23 January 2010, 01:42   #16

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
my wording is how Dealer worded it. Im collecting the boat today, they have done the rams and the 700 service. They have stressed the boat shouldnt be used till the hose tails are done, apparently the brass goes pink and powdery and then fails. Ill be looking into the other work and wont use the boat till its completed. I believe the stat has been updated by merc but not a product recall, according to the dealer its dirty and is working but not perfectly! The worying thing is they seem to think any merc dealer worth his salt would have already recomended these issues and updates.... SO have I been undersold in the past and DCM is acurate orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr have they seen my new tubes, seats and cover and thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
It is interesting the way you worded some of these things - I'm not sure if that is how they did it or just they way you typed it:
so its old or its not working? the two are quite different! if its just old - then why does it NEED upgrading - have Barrus recalled the original?
I don't know what that is but replacing a whole ram because one part is missing seems excessive (like when citreon told me I needed a whole new light cluster because the spring that holds the bulb in place had gone awol).
if its just surface corrosion will they not just clean up? Brass was obviously 'good enough' 8 yrs ago.
does brittle mean 'and is likely to fail' or does it mean 'if we have to take it off/on for any reason will need replacing because it will snap' - ok so a new design is available - but if the old one is working and not about to fail then why bother.

The way its worded most of these things could be 'nice to do' or 'advisory' rather than actually needing done. Certainly in the car world - the idea number of people fixing things has dwindled massively and the modern way seems to be to remove component and replace it rather than fixing/servicing/cleaning the part and refitting. What everyone else says is of course quite right - with your o/board it is a critical device on the boat - but the dealer knows that is how we all think and is selling you on the 'just-in-case' issue.