Old 13 August 2008, 18:54   #1

Town: Staffs
Make: Yam FX160 HO
Length: 3m +
Engine: Flippin Fast
Optimax powertrim

My mate Top Banana has a 135 Mercury Optimax. When he trims the engine up it remains at a constant trim speed until he reaches the trailer position and then it speeds up, however we have noticed that my 115 Mercury Optimax trim speed remains the same all the way up through the trailer position.

Is this just a difference between the two engines or is there a problem?
Old 13 August 2008, 18:57   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverunner View Post
My mate Top Banana has a 135 Mercury Optimax. When he trims the engine up it remains at a constant trim speed until he reaches the trailer position and then it speeds up, however we have noticed that my 115 Mercury Optimax trim speed remains the same all the way up through the trailer position.

It should speed up. The slower is trim, the faster tilt.
Old 13 August 2008, 19:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
It should speed up. The slower is trim, the faster tilt.
Maybe there is a problem then!!
Old 13 August 2008, 19:11   #4

Town: Shepperton
Boat name: Shamu
Make: BananaShark
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:

seems there's something wrong with your trim then. It should be gradual up to trailer, and then speed up to fully tilted position.
Old 13 August 2008, 19:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
seems there's something wrong with your trim then. It should be gradual up to trailer, and then speed up to fully tilted position.
Any ideas as to what could cause this?
Old 13 August 2008, 19:31   #6

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:

There is no problem. the 115 will go all the way up on the same speed.
Old 13 August 2008, 19:32   #7

Town: West Lancs/Anglesey
Boat name: Northern Rock
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250HP ETEC
Quote:
Any ideas as to what could cause this?
You may not have a problem. Given that it is working all the way up and down, I would say it is OK. 135hp and above definitely have 2 speeds. Not sure about the 115hp but I do know that smaller engines only have one speed. You may be able to tell by looking at the Hydraulic rod which tilts it. On the 2 speed engine, the rod is in 2 parts (telescopic) of seperate diameters and the speed changes when 1 rod is fully extended and it starts to extend the second rod of different diameter. If you only have a single diameter, non telescopic rod, then i would say it is operating correctly.
Old 13 August 2008, 19:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
There is no problem. the 115 will go all the way up on the same speed.
Nice one Ian, thought I had a problem there for one minute, still curious though as to why there should be a difference. It does make more sense to speed up when moving in the tilt mode.
Old 13 August 2008, 19:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoMicky View Post
On the 2 speed engine, the rod is in 2 parts (telescopic) of seperate diameters and the speed changes when 1 rod is fully extended and it starts to extend the second rod of different diameter. If you only have a single diameter, non telescopic rod, then i would say it is operating correctly.
That makes sense as there would be a larger volume of oil in the cylinder.
Old 13 August 2008, 19:42   #10

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Nice one Ian, thought I had a problem there for one minute, still curious though as to why there should be a difference. It does make more sense to speed up when moving in the tilt mode.
The 135 and higher models are a better system, I supose it is all down to economics
Old 16 August 2008, 18:42   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
You may be able to tell by looking at the Hydraulic rod which tilts it. On the 2 speed engine, the rod is in 2 parts (telescopic) of seperate diameters and the speed changes when 1 rod is fully extended and it starts to extend the second rod of different diameter. If you only have a single diameter, non telescopic rod, then i would say it is operating correctly.

I havnt seen that on a trim n tilt. On a 135 & 150 that I had it was a single stage ram, and I assume the way it works, is that there will be a flow restriction to prevent the ram moving quickly on the lower part of its travel , when trimming up it reaches a certain part of the cylinder casing, at which point a second oil port comes into circulation allowing full oil flow, which effectively doubles the travel speed of the piston. The trim motor only runs at one speed all the time, so it has to be an oil flow restriction of some sort that controls the ram speed. Its a simple porting exercise, and there will be relief valve which recirculates oil when its operating on the slower cycle. I expect the 115 model simply doesnt have the porting in the cylinder to allow the speed increase, and if it does, and frankly I'm surprised it doesnt, then something may be stuck with the relief valve or a bit of seal may have blocked the port the controls the higher speed, I would however doubt that, as its a bi directional flow unit, ie up/down

That said, the above is only assumption, though, cos thats one bit of hyraulics I aint pulled apart yet
Old 16 August 2008, 20:04   #12

Town: Oldmeldrum
Boat name: S-Cape
Make: Sovereign 650
Engine: Mariner Opti 115 S/C
MMSI: 235051596
My 115 is single speed and find speed just about right for trimming. Don't know why you need two speeds for tilt, it only takes about 10 seconds max. to go from full down to trailer position.
Old 16 August 2008, 20:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhives View Post
My 115 is single speed and find speed just about right for trimming. Don't know why you need two speeds for tilt, it only takes about 10 seconds max. to go from full down to trailer position.

Sure... but you definately need a slow adjustment speed for trim settings so you can tweak it for what ever load you are running with, the double speed thing is just a luxury
Old 16 August 2008, 23:48   #14

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
On the 2 speed engine, the rod is in 2 parts (telescopic) of seperate diameters and the speed changes when 1 rod is fully extended and it starts to extend the second rod of different diameter....
Do you have a photo of this?
Old 17 August 2008, 19:30   #15

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
The 115 will be a constant speed. The 135 has a three ram system, were it will run up and down slower while it is on the three rams. When its passed this point it will speed up. All completely normal.
Old 17 August 2008, 21:41   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
The 115 will be a constant speed. The 135 has a three ram system, were it will run up and down slower while it is on the three rams. When its passed this point it will speed up. All completely normal.
Yes,.. I logged in to this thread to scratch my last post, cos I thought about it more,.. and remembered the speed is altered by the two damper cyliders that the powered one pushes against in this instance, so although it uses 3 rams, only one is active .. well I hope I havent blown a posible patent for myself (not that thats my thing) !! Hey codders ... could you file this one for me on the US patent pending thread pls
Old 18 August 2008, 17:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhives View Post
Maybe you misunderstood my question, I didn't say I need two speeds. I just wasn't sure if I should have two speeds, and yes you are right the single speed is okay for both trimming and tilt.
Old 18 August 2008, 17:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
Thanks for that matey, you have put my mind at rest.