Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I would have to question the fuel filter remark unless it's clogged up, and the Opti technology would definitely get the hump if it couldn't get enough fuel and tell you so! The Smartcraft instruments will tell you if you have a specific problem (that it is aware of!).

Water in the fuel and Opti injectors don't mix at all well, a 5 year old Opti might have injector issues which would cause all of the above symptoms. I think that it would have to be very heavy to need a 19" prop.

My guess would be setup - move some weight towards the back of the boat (do you have a big anchor?), and measure the height difference between the cavitation plate and the keel - raising the engine always helps speed .......... up to a point!
he said it has been recently serviced so hopefully the filter is fine and not causing any issues. i guess the question is has this been a problem recently or has the boat only ever done 35 knots

i guess on the engine with the computer connected it might be possible to tell how long it has been at certain revs.....that would indicate if it is a recent problem

assuming the mercury setup gives this info when a laptop is connected?

Old 17 August 2007, 09:55   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
he also says the boat is drinking a lot of Fuel so that kinda negates the Filter/fuel choke theory. It definitely sounds like setup and I would think you would see a good 40 knots if not more.

Are you runnig heavy, how big is the fuel tank and do you have any water in the void. Whats the bung saying to you at the end of the mission

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2007, 11:26   #13

Town: Glasgow
Make: humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: optimax 150
I once did a stupid thing to my optimax, when putting on a new battery I connected it the wrong way round. This blew the 100 amp fuse that is inline from the alternator to the battery. I had to wait 3 months for the cable to arrive so i made a temp repair using a cable without the fuse which worked. But strangley I lost some performance from the top end of my opti. It gave me 4700 revs but couldn't shift past 40 knts, once the new part arrived and i fitted it 46 knts became possible. Dont know what this means (apart from me being stupid enough to connect battery terminals the wrong way round) I reckon it was perhaps to do with the smart craft controls. It is totaly fine now.
Electronics can be a bit strange sometimes, get it plugged into a diagnostic computer, could be a sensor. I had a faulty temp sensor and no warnings ever apeared on the screen, it just said check pitot.
Old 17 August 2007, 11:31   #14

Town: Glasgow
Make: humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: optimax 150
Oh check the amount of water in the Ballast under the hull ,that can weigh quite alot and push your hull down preventing optimum plaining.
Old 17 August 2007, 18:13   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmartins View Post
I once did a stupid thing to my optimax, when putting on a new battery I connected it the wrong way round. This blew the 100 amp fuse that is inline from the alternator to the battery. I had to wait 3 months for the cable to arrive so i made a temp repair using a cable without the fuse which worked. But strangley I lost some performance from the top end of my opti. It gave me 4700 revs but couldn't shift past 40 knts, once the new part arrived and i fitted it 46 knts became possible. Dont know what this means (apart from me being stupid enough to connect battery terminals the wrong way round) I reckon it was perhaps to do with the smart craft controls. It is totaly fine now.
Electronics can be a bit strange sometimes, get it plugged into a diagnostic computer, could be a sensor. I had a faulty temp sensor and no warnings ever apeared on the screen, it just said check pitot.

Aah It's a bitch aint it, I'll bet you your temp cable wasn't as thick as the new one

Another thing you could check Mike is that your injector cables are not corroded and that the receptacles on the injectors are not Pitted, they go alot on the bottom 2 cylinders

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote