Old 04 July 2005, 21:56   #1

Town: dundee
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: mariner 225 optimax
optimax owners, help required

hi ,in my last post i asked for a wiring diagram for smart gauges which i got thanks, but it never helped, i realy need the wire colours so i can see what wire goes where, any help gladly welcome, thanks ,boab
Old 05 July 2005, 06:51   #2

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
which wire do you need the colours for?
Old 05 July 2005, 07:54   #3

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
You shouldn't need the wire colours for the Optimax Smartcraft guages - they are a "plug and play" item with thier own loom - what exactly are you having trouble with, and do you have photos?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2005, 11:36   #4

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Cookee all the connectors are removable to aid threading through holes and under decks, i wonder if this is the pin out boab needs - i have detials of this although i would like him to confirm before i transcribe it all.
Old 05 July 2005, 17:31   #5

thanks to all. here is my problem,the loom i have connects to by multi plug to both the tacho and speedo, the wires coming off this loom are a blue and a white wire which are for gps, there is also a red wire i dont know where that goes, there is also 5 wires that go to a d shaped plug which connects to the control box socket they are purple,grey, brown or tan with blue stripe, black, and a browny/black with white stripe,, also2 wires running to a 2 pin socket ,brown and black, and a label on it says speedometer, i also have 2 sets of 2 wires running from the engine into the boat, they are blue with black stripe and black with orange stripe, also pink with black stripe and black with orange stripe, i think they are for fuel and oil tanks but i dont know which is which, any help welcome , thanks in advance, boab.
Old 05 July 2005, 18:42   #6

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Hi Boab,
The engine installation manual gives more info than the smartcraft sheets/manual.
On the main harness/data cable
The pair of wires BLK/ORN & PNK/BLK are to the fuel tank sender ( disconnect blk/orn if tank is there is an engine battery ground strap connected to tank or sender)
Pair BLK/ORN & LT.BLU/BLK are to oil tank sender
Multi plug with 4 wires TAN/ORN, GRY/BLU, PUR/YEL & BLK/ORN connect to paddle wheel/water temp sensor.( cable are WHIT,YEL,BLU & BLK respectively)
On the speedo harness
There are two pairs of bullet connectors -
TAN/BLU and PURPLE are for external warning (depth ?)horn accessory
WHITE & BLUE are NMEA GPS + & - respectively.
There is also a multi plug which is to connect into the external air temp sensor ( if fitted)
Off the tacho cable -
Is a single TAN/BLU which is for connection to optional visual warning light
and single RED +12v feed (same circuit as engine starting battery)

Unfortunately my scanner is playing up otherwise I would post the schematics here -
Let me know if this helps or if you wish I could use ancient fax technology to send a copy of the manual.

These apply to 2001 model year and above.
Jeff
Old 05 July 2005, 21:12   #7

thanks jeff, things starting to fall into place, i take it the 5 pin d plug that comes of the tacho and goes into the control box, supplys the info to the gauges. and i will maybe take you up on faxing the instructions if i get lost, thanks again, boab.
Old 06 July 2005, 08:35   #8

Boab,
Yes - the d block connector from the tacho does into the junction box - as should the one from the speedo. The cable from the engine also terminates in this junction - which on mine is a four-way, (std I think) with one being blanked off. It doesn't matter which cable goes into which slot on the jctn box. If you are starting from scratch, make sure that the cable from the engine is fitted with the termination resistor at the engine end, not the jct box.
Fantastic instrumentation and functionality. I had a floscan fuel meter from my old set up which was very accurate once calibrated. I kept this but the fuel flow ( l/hr and total ltrs used) as part of the smartcraft is spot on !

225 !!!!!!!! lucky man !

Jeff
Old 06 July 2005, 08:42   #9

Boab,
I have just seen that swginn has already posted the installation drawings on an earlier post of yours which makes much more sense of all my verbage - and easy to follow !
Jeff
Old 06 July 2005, 08:56   #10

hi jeff, i think i must have some bits missing, is the control box for the opti different from standard control box, ( i didnt get a control box with it ) as iv nowhere to plug the speedo wires into, i have the main loom from the engine to control box, and what is a termination resistor, where in the engine does it sit, thanks , boab.
Old 06 July 2005, 09:11   #11

hi jeff, i enclose a pic of the loom in question, if it is any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00524.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	13197  
Old 06 July 2005, 10:22   #12

Hi,
I assume you do have the System SC1000 Tach & Speedo - two-gauge instrumentation
It looks like you have a cable missing- unless this is already installed on your boat!!!!

The cable that connects to the speedometer gauge is P/N 879978T
The cable that connects to the Tacho is P/N 879979T
Both of these are standard lengths of 3ft.

From your photo, it looks like you have these two and these are plugged together, which is incorrect.

You should then have a cable (wiring harness) P/N 879981T_ that comes in various lengths to suit. 10,15,20&30ft. The "_ " bit denotes the length.

Then you should have a junction box: P/N 878492T_ with 4,6 or 8 terminals - with 4 being std for single engine installations.

These two cables from the gauges go into the junction box, as does the data harness from the engine. These are all blue shrouded – not to be confused with the usual one that comes from the throttle box.

At the outboard, this wiring harness connects to the ECU at the engine via a multi plug, and also has a multi plug to connect to the pitot speed sensor that comes up inside the leg/mid-section (I think). There are also 3 bullet connectors at this end that connect to the trim/tilt sender - BLK, YEL &?

If all this is obvious – apologies: just remembering what I worked through when I was trying to understand how it all related and linked after tidying up the “professional” installation of spaghetti

Jeff
Old 21 July 2005, 16:32   #13

many thanks

thanks to all who tried to help, finally got the gauges to work, sincere thanks to jeff who copied the installation manual and posted it to me and that did the trick, thanks again, boab.
Old 22 July 2005, 13:14   #14

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Hey Boab.

Did you start her yet ?

Had mine started fot the first time last week and she runs like hell.
Old 22 July 2005, 19:25   #15

225 scary

hi danny, had her out last weekend goes like sh*t off a shovel, extremly impressed, out again this weekend with gauges working now so il know what speed she,l do , boab.