Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Optimax lubrication

Probably a simple one to answer for a knowledgable two stroker;

My understanding of two stroke generally is we started with origin,then direct injection of the oil....now it's high pressure injection of the fuel in E-Tec's and fuel/air on the opti's.. how does the seperate lube system work? and does it require a dedicated drive from the engine? as opposed to a scavenging system..and if so, I'm trying to calculate the power consumption of this seperate pump...
Old 19 October 2010, 08:59   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
No idea but I doubt it uses any more power than the oil pump on a four stroke?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2010, 10:18   #3

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Probably a simple one to answer for a knowledgable two stroker;

My understanding of two stroke generally is we started with origin,then direct injection of the oil....now it's high pressure injection of the fuel in E-Tec's and fuel/air on the opti's.. how does the seperate lube system work? and does it require a dedicated drive from the engine? as opposed to a scavenging system..and if so, I'm trying to calculate the power consumption of this seperate pump...
The opti oil system is a seperate system to the fuel system,the oil is pumped to the seperate bearings/moving parts by an electric pump,the oil output is controlled by the P.C.M. which works out how hard the obm is working by fuel flow,or if the obm is in breakin mode which it will supply extra oil for the 120 mins of breakin period
i hope that is clear there will be a test after wards
Old 19 October 2010, 10:23   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Doesnt the opti pressure up the oil tank with air ? ( is this why I coated the deck one day when I didn't screw the lid on properly ? )

Thought I heard this somewhere .. or is that just the bigger ones with a seperate tank ?
Old 19 October 2010, 11:06   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Doesnt the opti pressure up the oil tank with air ? ( is this why I coated the deck one day when I didn't screw the lid on properly ? )

Thought I heard this somewhere .. or is that just the bigger ones with a seperate tank ?
Yes, the big separate tank is pressurized and feeds the small tank under the hood.
Old 20 October 2010, 07:13   #6

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
The opti oil system is a seperate system to the fuel system,the oil is pumped to the seperate bearings/moving parts by an electric pump,the oil output is controlled by the P.C.M. which works out how hard the obm is working by fuel flow,or if the obm is in breakin mode which it will supply extra oil for the 120 mins of breakin period
i hope that is clear there will be a test after wards
So no mechanical connection with Engine, it's all pump speed determined by sensors? probably because I don't appreciate the reliability of the pump....but if this motor developed a wiring issue the whole engine would be forked.....I take it the autoprotect warnings give plenty warning? Just must be how things have moved on

We used to disconnect the mechanical pump from racing jet ski engines because of fears of failure and run origin.

Thanks for explaining it.
Old 20 October 2010, 09:01   #7

if the opti oil pumps stop working you now get a warning so the p/h dosnt get damaged (thats the idea anyway) if you would like to go into the subject in more detail please see my phone number below but dont ring fridays 01869 326411
alan(uncle al)
Old 20 October 2010, 11:33   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
probably because I don't appreciate the reliability of the pump....
Hee hee, stop thinking about those nice transom mounted Autoblend units that I don't have on mine......
Old 20 October 2010, 12:38   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
So no mechanical connection with Engine, it's all pump speed determined by sensors? probably because I don't appreciate the reliability of the pump....but if this motor developed a wiring issue the whole engine would be forked.....I take it the autoprotect warnings give plenty warning? Just must be how things have moved on

We used to disconnect the mechanical pump from racing jet ski engines because of fears of failure and run origin.

Thanks for explaining it.
I try not to think about things like this on my engines - I prefer to think all will be fine (even if expensive to fix) , or if ANYTHING breaks on a modern outboard the engine will be forked !
Old 20 October 2010, 12:57   #10

dont worry opti oil systems are usually no problem as long as you use the correct oil and service your obm as there are some small filters in the oil lines and 9D280 stop stirring it blinking auto blend that is so 1960s have a good day everyone
Old 20 October 2010, 13:34   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
9D280 stop stirring it blinking auto blend that is so 1960s
So is my engine - that's why I premix!

All joking aside, my point was that there are technologies out there (in this case a non mechanically driven oil injection pump) that previous early attempts' unreliability still looms large in people's memories. Net result is that 3 generations of technology later, people are still slightly suspicious.

To jump completely away form Ribs for an example, take the old APT train. 20 years later we buy back the refined technology from the Italians in the form of the Pendolino! You donlt hear any "soup on your lap" / "It's broken down again" etc jokes about them.......

At least with a system like that you get an alarm and your engine isn't totalled. If I forget to add oil, the first I'll know about it is when it grinds to a terminal halt.