Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 October 2010, 03:26   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 653
Optimax lubrication

Probably a simple one to answer for a knowledgable two stroker;

My understanding of two stroke generally is we started with origin,then direct injection of the oil....now it's high pressure injection of the fuel in E-Tec's and fuel/air on the opti's.. how does the seperate lube system work? and does it require a dedicated drive from the engine? as opposed to a scavenging system..and if so, I'm trying to calculate the power consumption of this seperate pump...
__________________

__________________
.
IBWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2010, 04:59   #2
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
No idea but I doubt it uses any more power than the oil pump on a four stroke?
__________________

__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2010, 06:18   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Probably a simple one to answer for a knowledgable two stroker;

My understanding of two stroke generally is we started with origin,then direct injection of the oil....now it's high pressure injection of the fuel in E-Tec's and fuel/air on the opti's.. how does the seperate lube system work? and does it require a dedicated drive from the engine? as opposed to a scavenging system..and if so, I'm trying to calculate the power consumption of this seperate pump...
The opti oil system is a seperate system to the fuel system,the oil is pumped to the seperate bearings/moving parts by an electric pump,the oil output is controlled by the P.C.M. which works out how hard the obm is working by fuel flow,or if the obm is in breakin mode which it will supply extra oil for the 120 mins of breakin period
i hope that is clear there will be a test after wards
__________________
uncle al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2010, 06:23   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Doesnt the opti pressure up the oil tank with air ? ( is this why I coated the deck one day when I didn't screw the lid on properly ? )

Thought I heard this somewhere .. or is that just the bigger ones with a seperate tank ?
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2010, 07:06   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Doesnt the opti pressure up the oil tank with air ? ( is this why I coated the deck one day when I didn't screw the lid on properly ? )

Thought I heard this somewhere .. or is that just the bigger ones with a seperate tank ?
Yes, the big separate tank is pressurized and feeds the small tank under the hood.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 03:13   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
The opti oil system is a seperate system to the fuel system,the oil is pumped to the seperate bearings/moving parts by an electric pump,the oil output is controlled by the P.C.M. which works out how hard the obm is working by fuel flow,or if the obm is in breakin mode which it will supply extra oil for the 120 mins of breakin period
i hope that is clear there will be a test after wards
So no mechanical connection with Engine, it's all pump speed determined by sensors? probably because I don't appreciate the reliability of the pump....but if this motor developed a wiring issue the whole engine would be forked.....I take it the autoprotect warnings give plenty warning? Just must be how things have moved on

We used to disconnect the mechanical pump from racing jet ski engines because of fears of failure and run origin.

Thanks for explaining it.
__________________
.
IBWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 05:01   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
if the opti oil pumps stop working you now get a warning so the p/h dosnt get damaged (thats the idea anyway) if you would like to go into the subject in more detail please see my phone number below but dont ring fridays 01869 326411
alan(uncle al)
__________________
uncle al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 07:33   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
probably because I don't appreciate the reliability of the pump....
Hee hee, stop thinking about those nice transom mounted Autoblend units that I don't have on mine......
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 08:38   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
So no mechanical connection with Engine, it's all pump speed determined by sensors? probably because I don't appreciate the reliability of the pump....but if this motor developed a wiring issue the whole engine would be forked.....I take it the autoprotect warnings give plenty warning? Just must be how things have moved on

We used to disconnect the mechanical pump from racing jet ski engines because of fears of failure and run origin.

Thanks for explaining it.
I try not to think about things like this on my engines - I prefer to think all will be fine (even if expensive to fix) , or if ANYTHING breaks on a modern outboard the engine will be forked !
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 08:57   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
dont worry opti oil systems are usually no problem as long as you use the correct oil and service your obm as there are some small filters in the oil lines and 9D280 stop stirring it blinking auto blend that is so 1960s have a good day everyone
__________________

__________________
uncle al is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.