Old 08 August 2009, 11:32   #1

Town: plymouth
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 verado
optimax fuel pump problems

I have a opti 175, new last year, with under 40hours on the clock.

Last week whilst going out, it flashed up water in fuel, immediately we returned to the marina and I got the filters changed. I have a large inline filter before it gets to the engine, on inspection it didnt look overly full of water when emptied.

Anyway, 2 new filters later I was told all ready to go...Took it out again and running really lumpy, got to 2000 revs then died, so went back.

Now informed that the fuel pump is knackered, keeps blowing fuses...Is it normal for a fuel pump to fail after such a short period of time?Can I get it replaced under warranty or is this going to cost me 100's?

I hope it can be done under warranty as this was one of the main reasons for buying a mercury engine...I thought these optimaxes were good?!
Old 08 August 2009, 11:48   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Hopefully the work you had done, together with the diagnosis of a knackered pump were performed by a Mercury dealer, if so it should be covered by warranty.
Old 08 August 2009, 11:52   #3

Mariner dealer; local mercury dealer, will still be waiting at Christmas for him to look!(then he probably wont turn up, from previous dealings!)
Old 08 August 2009, 12:17   #4

Name and Shame...
Old 08 August 2009, 12:30   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
They are pretty reliable but they have bits that can fail the oil pump has failed on me when I used to own one (a 150)

I'd reccomend Marinautic in Poole
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2009, 12:40   #6

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
if the pump was knackered by water, please note water in the fuel system it is not a warranty issue (offically)i know because i am one of the people that will do the warranty claims
Old 08 August 2009, 12:51   #7

The why doesn't the water in fuel sensor shut the engine down to Guardian mode.

Think my next big outboard is going to be an ETEC
Old 08 August 2009, 13:01   #8

because the sensor tells that there is water in the system and if you dont do anything about it you can /will damage vitall parts of the fuel system
Old 08 August 2009, 13:08   #9

This is a bone of contention here then....As soon as the engine said water in fuel, we returned, engine ran for about 2 mins after the warning and only at low revs. Its not like I carried on for hours with the smartcraft beeping!

It was not fired up again until fuel filters were replaced, it that going to be a mercury excuse so they dont cover the fuel filter?

All I know is it keeps blowing fuses, whether that is due to water or something else....I know nothing about outboard engines...The guy from the mariner dealership said there was that much water in the filters?
Old 08 August 2009, 13:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
if the pump was knackered by water, please note water in the fuel system it is not a warranty issue (offically)i know because i am one of the people that will do the warranty claims
Tim'll sort it.
Old 08 August 2009, 14:07   #11

Quote:
because the sensor tells that there is water in the system and if you dont do anything about it you can /will damage vitall parts of the fuel system
Uncle Al
I understand that!

My point being, is that the ECU hasn't got a problem shutting the engine down into Guardian mode if the oil is getting low so why doesn't it do it when the water in fuel sensor is flagging?

Your point about the lazy owner not rectifying the problem and causing further damage is taken, but surely the error log would tell you how long the owner has been ignoring the issue. And if it is what d'ya think would be a fair time span to retify the problem?

As a person that has shelled out for a new Opti in the past the major reason for doing so was for the warranty.

Nephew Miller

Was the engine installed by a dealer and was a water seperator/filter fitted?
Old 08 August 2009, 17:39   #12

Yes it has a water seperator fitted, was done by ribraff on this forum who rebuilt the boat...Prior to even starting the engine it had to be inspected and the pdi done by the mercury dealer.

I hope barrus dont try to fob me off with this one....I ll understand if I had been negligent and just ignored the alarms; then I deserve what I get but as soon as the alarm came on, we headed back to the marina and the filters were changed next day!..What else was I supposed to do?switch the engine off and row?!
Old 09 August 2009, 16:05   #13

Miller please ring me on monday at work 01869 326411 i didnot say or infer that the owner was lazy or negligent my reply was for information only
Old 09 August 2009, 17:16   #14

Quote:
Miller please ring me on monday at work 01869 326411 i didnot say or infer that the owner was lazy or negligent my reply was for information only
Will do, who do I ask to speak to?
Old 09 August 2009, 18:10   #15

ring the number above it will come straight to my desk where either my college or myself will answer if it is not answered cos we both repair obms as well leave a phone number and i will ring you backe asap.
alan surman (uncle al) 01869 326411
Old 28 August 2009, 11:55   #16

well, I have had the mercury guy out to repair the engine, I know also need a new injector, which isnt covered by warranty! £250 quid.

I must say I am not very impressed with this optimax ordeal, left a very sour taste in my mouth and I have no faith in the engine anymore...40 hours and a 600 quid bill!

I have always checked the water separator and emptied out any water, the tank was pressure tested last year so should have no leaks.. I was told that the water in fuel warning only comes on when it reaches a certain level in one of the filters/pumps? and by then its too late! What a waste of time warning alarm, thats like a burglar alarm that tells you after the burglar has been!..Pointless.

Oh well, you learn from your mistakes...Wish I had stuck to the 2 stroke!techonology aint always the way forward!