Old 16 November 2001, 09:02   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
I Think you have mis read my numbers. We carry a payload of 2500kgs this equates to 40 passengers NOT 250ks that the four you have indicated. The petrol engine will NOT cope with this. The question to ask is where do you get your petrol? is it on the quayside or do you just break the law every day ?

Old 16 November 2001, 11:13   #12

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
Sorry, typing error, forgot a zero. Did realise original payload, equates to 2.5 tones. This was partly the reason I was impressed with your fuel consumption figures, 1.7 litres per mile still very impressive for a 10m RIB with an all up weight of 5 tones.

We get our fuel form Mylor Yacht Harbour, the only place for future reference that you can get petrol on the water in Falmouth Bay and Harbour and that section of the coast. As we buy so much we get a discount, and then at the end of each month the jolly nice chaps at Customs and Excise give us 48p back for every litre we put in the boat.

I was on with the good doctor on RB4, on Gemini. Had a great time, except getting the fuel bill at the end. Would do it again at the drop of a hat.

The problem we had with the optimax was the coupling that connects the two small shafts from the hydraulic motor ant the hydraulic ram. It sheared. Needless to say it was an absolute pain as trim is pretty vital to our operation, do a lot of landing on beaches etc.

Alan, do you have enough fuel to get accross the pasific?

Old 16 November 2001, 11:36   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Oh Yes! Check out www.spirit-of-cardiff.com for th efinal route. I think you will find it interesting to say the least! And I said that I would not go back to the ice!!!!