Old 26 September 2005, 20:23   #1

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Optimax 115

I'm thinking of (finally) changing my 100hp Suzuki V4 2-stroke for something new. Went to SIBS on the weekend and got offered some good looking deals on 115 Optimax (£5295). Does anyone have any experience of these, good or bad?
Other options are Suzuki or Johnson 4 stroke 115 (same engine), both for around £6k.
Boat is a Northcraft 5.5m, used for skiing, cruising, etc. - manufacturer says up to 130ish should be ok.
Old 26 September 2005, 20:39   #2

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai
I'm thinking of (finally) changing my 100hp Suzuki V4 2-stroke for something new. Went to SIBS on the weekend and got offered some good looking deals on 115 Optimax (£5295). Does anyone have any experience of these, good or bad?
Other options are Suzuki or Johnson 4 stroke 115 (same engine), both for around £6k.
Boat is a Northcraft 5.5m, used for skiing, cruising, etc. - manufacturer says up to 130ish should be ok.
the 135 opti is supposed to be a stonker, economical and a good power to weight ratio, never owned one but have been reading up and they get good reviews, take it easy on the gas and should be much more economical than your guzzler and as good as a fourstroke at cruise.
Old 26 September 2005, 21:07   #3

Didn't look too closely at the 135, as the 115 seemed a good deal and adequate power for the RIB. So, these claims of vastly improved fuel consumption on Optimax are right then??
What about reliability? I suppose there's more electronic gizmos to potentially go wrong?
Old 26 September 2005, 21:53   #4

Quote:
Didn't look too closely at the 135, as the 115 seemed a good deal and adequate power for the RIB. So, these claims of vastly improved fuel consumption on Optimax are right then??
What about reliability? I suppose there's more electronic gizmos to potentially go wrong?
well i have a honda 90 that i have had for years, since 98 anyway, and is perfect and does all i want it to

i have looked into optis and the dreaded two strokes, and from what i have read they are great engines these days, economy is good if you dont use the last bit of travel on the throttle, some sound rather nice too, faster hole shot they call it, i have put on another thread some information about an interesting test between different 150's so you can do some comparisons, might be under the name chris hartley so search on both

the test will help to give you some insight, they are nothing like the smelly, unreliable, noisey, crappy, unreliable rough twostrokes from yesteryear, sorry guys but i did have a suzuki 85 and it was all of the above...
Old 26 September 2005, 21:56   #5

Quote:
more electrics to go wrong yes but technology has moved on also so should generally be more reliable, i suspect your car has more electrics these days but you probably dont worry that it will all pack up.

45% less fuel use than your current engine would probably not be an understatement

dont have facts by for actuals by the two engines but you should see a vast improvement from what friends say.
Old 26 September 2005, 22:22   #6

Thanks Hugh/Chris - I'll check out the other stuff you've posted on the 150s, but I think they'll be a bit big (and expensive!) for what I have in mind. Interesting to read your comments on the 85 Suzuki, as I also had one of these for a few years before upgrading to the V4 100 and it ran beautifully, never missing a beat! It obviously wouldn't compare with your Honda 90 though, for noise and economy.
What concerned me on the Optimax 115 was the massive discount offered from RRP - loads more than other Optis - this set off the alarm bells, making me suspect they may have problems, like the FICHTs a few years ago.
I'll keep an eye on the forum to see what others have to say on the 115 Opti v 115 Suzuki/Johnson.
If I save 45% on fuel costs, that will make my boating trips even more enjoyable - the £5295 purchase price will be soon forgotten!
Old 26 September 2005, 22:25   #7

Quote:
Thanks Hugh/Chris - I'll check out the other stuff you've posted on the 150s, but I think they'll be a bit big (and expensive!) for what I have in mind. Interesting to read your comments on the 85 Suzuki, as I also had one of these for a few years before upgrading to the V4 100 and it ran beautifully, never missing a beat! It obviously wouldn't compare with your Honda 90 though, for noise and economy.
What concerned me on the Optimax 115 was the massive discount offered from RRP - loads more than other Optis - this set off the alarm bells, making me suspect they may have problems, like the FICHTs a few years ago.
I'll keep an eye on the forum to see what others have to say on the 115 Opti v 115 Suzuki/Johnson.
If I save 45% on fuel costs, that will make my boating trips even more enjoyable - the £5295 purchase price will be soon forgotten!
my suz was used on the river and the sea, can you imagine gently pottering down the river with that thing on the back coughing and chugging and smoking on the back, used to make you head buzz, then sold that boat/engine and got the shetland 4plus2 with a honda 90, was lovely....
Old 26 September 2005, 22:37   #8

My 85, on the RIB never did much coughing and spluttering, as the poor old bugger was operating at WOT for about 90% of its life! It only really got any respite at launch and recovery times!
Old 27 September 2005, 10:58   #9

Quote:
My 85, on the RIB never did much coughing and spluttering, as the poor old bugger was operating at WOT for about 90% of its life! It only really got any respite at launch and recovery times!
that is when they run best for sure, if you use them on the river they are all the things i described below, not the ideal engine for 5 knots, but on the sea it was great until i blew it up!!!!! and had to get it rebuilt
Old 29 September 2005, 18:08   #10

Just getting this back to the top to see if anyone else has views on the Mercury Optimax 115 v Suzuki 115 4 Stroke v Yamaha 115 4 Stroke.

Someone must have something good (or bad) to say on my dilemma????
Old 29 September 2005, 19:02   #11
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Any carb two stroke and even new tech stuff particularly Optis get p***** off with operating at low rpms like on the river constantly. My old tech carb Suzy 2 stroke runs all rite once its warmed up at low rpms, but it tends to oil up the plugs, best give the throttle a blit every now and again. At sea you can't fault it, its noisy but personally thats a good thing. And it has the two stroke grunt