Old 28 July 2006, 08:00   #1

Town: UP NORF
Make: K4 CAT
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 X MODIFIED 2.5'S
opti 225

I'm about to take a 1999 optimax 225 engine in px against one of my engines, the engines done 300 hours. I will hook it up to a ddt to check for faults but are there any problems with these engines ? and whats it worth ?
Old 28 July 2006, 08:25   #2

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer
I'm about to take a 1999 optimax 225 engine in px against one of my engines, the engines done 300 hours. I will hook it up to a ddt to check for faults but are there any problems with these engines ? and whats it worth ?
I have a 225 Opti, which has done 320 hours. Just had it serviced and no problems have been found.
Old 28 July 2006, 08:39   #3

Engine: 225 Opti
While on the Opti 225 subject mine occasionally idles at rather high revs for a while if put into neutral - is this normal?
Old 11 August 2006, 21:07   #4

Town: Newport
Boat name: Miss behaving
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Outboard 225 Opti
Hi re your idleing at tick over on your 225opti I had a similer problem last year, it only happened occasionally she went up to about 1100rpm. None of the local engineeres sussed it but after a lot of reserch we cracked it. Tell me more, mines 2002 2250pti.
Old 12 August 2006, 09:25   #5

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
Rodan

Sound like the TPI (throttle position indicator) very common fault on the opti. Just needs some adjustment on the link rot attached to it.
When it is over revving in neutral just push back on the link arm and see if it stops.
Old 13 August 2006, 09:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Behaving
Hi re your idleing at tick over on your 225opti I had a similer problem last year, it only happened occasionally she went up to about 1100rpm. None of the local engineeres sussed it but after a lot of reserch we cracked it. Tell me more, mines 2002 2250pti.
Mine is 2001 and problem sounds identical. and to rib shop - is this something simple to do?
Old 13 August 2006, 21:25   #7

Town: Newport
Boat name: Miss behaving
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Outboard 225 Opti
Ours was not that simple! I was even told our throttle cables were stretched. But ours was an earthing issue on the fuel tank as we had changed the sender in the tank, but it only hapened occasionally! Didn't make sense to me. Good luck.
Old 14 August 2006, 08:34   #8

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
Rodan

I would first identify if the TPI is causing the problem by pushing it back when the fault occurs, Now the “technical solution” from Barrus to solve this problem was to put a small bend in the link arm going to the TPI this will shorten the link slightly thus pulling back on the sensor.
Old 14 August 2006, 10:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop
Rodan

I would first identify if the TPI is causing the problem by pushing it back when the fault occurs, Now the “technical solution” from Barrus to solve this problem was to put a small bend in the link arm going to the TPI this will shorten the link slightly thus pulling back on the sensor.
Thanks a lot for the info. I will try and figure it out. Have found that if it does not clear itself sometimes a quick rev in neutral cures it - just need to leave time 'in case' when going along side!