Old 03 July 2011, 20:50   #1

Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
RIBase
Opinion on fuelfilter

For my project I am looking for a good, easy and high quality fuelfilter/water separator in my boat. The engine is a single suzuki 250- any advise out there on which one to buy??

Thanks beforehand! Gabor
Old 04 July 2011, 06:55   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
I cannot recommend a water separating fuel filter enough, we have been fitting them for years and they have proved their worth time and again.

29 quid for the clear bowl type, so you can easily see if you have anything in there.
Attached Images

Old 04 July 2011, 08:44   #3

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Racor S3213 is what we always fit with the clear bowl on the bottom. These are recommended by Mercury. I have only ever seen the Delphi 296 filters fitted to diesel engines!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35-809096-2T.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	60573  
Old 04 July 2011, 08:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
I have only ever seen the Delphi 296 filters fitted to diesel engines!
Probably 2/3rds of the (petrol) RIBs around here have them on the transom. I prefer to put them away somewhere as they do corrode, but then they need to be accessible too.

Do you have any insight into possible ill effects that using this filter for petrol Rob?
Old 04 July 2011, 12:41   #5

RIBase
thanks for the input !

I had the same impression on the Delphi filters (i.e. diesel use only) , however I noted that one of the boats at our yachtclub (an ex lifeguard tornado) was fitted with one and that boat has a 90 hp yammie 2 stroke petrol engine and pretty sure that system has been used for some time on that particular boat.

I have the opportunity to put the filter in a watertight but good reachable place(which is called former engine compartment) so I am not worried that they will rust away that quickly once installed.

I/we have the space, time (and willing to adjust our budget) to do it 'right' but i prefer to do it 'right in one go'. For example: I know SEPAR filters are big investment for an inboard diesel but i think they are really worth the investment once installed. I want to avoid making a mistake by going 'cheap' now and facing consequences from it lateron.

My conclusion reading above : there is no real reason with gasoline filters to go for 'expensive is better' optiona, correct?
Old 04 July 2011, 12:45   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Racor S3213 is what we always fit with the clear bowl on the bottom. These are recommended by Mercury. I have only ever seen the Delphi 296 filters fitted to diesel engines!
That's what i use

Jim
Old 04 July 2011, 13:16   #7

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
That looks identical to the Suzuki branded version I have in mine. Located in the console and never had a problem with it. Pricey through Suzuki but a good size and easy to renew the element. No fiddling with bolts, just screwed on by hand. My previous boat had a Delphi an the transom which corroded and really wasn't up to the job IMV, especially when externally mounted.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2011, 13:16   #8

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
i was a racor or separ man until i was shown one that yamaha do, it's all plastic body and paper filter makes it a fraction of the price of the others, another good thing is that it has an orange ring in the bowl that floats in water and not petrol, you can see it in a glance
Old 04 July 2011, 13:24   #9

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
I'm interested in suppliers at the "fraction of a price" bit - all the ebay sellers seem to want about £75 (like this Yamaha Water Separating Fuel Filter, 50hp - 115hp | eBay UK) !
Old 04 July 2011, 13:31   #10

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
that's the one and thats cheap, separ or racor you won't get much change if any out of £200
Old 04 July 2011, 17:05   #11

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
+1 for the delphi. I am not aware of any issues with using them for petrol. Mine started to show corrosion on the outside fairly swiftly which I suppose could have been avoided had delphi lacquered them on production. I coated mine with vaseline and that seems to have held it back now. I went for the double filter version
Old 04 July 2011, 17:46   #12

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
I have a Landrover one on mine (looks like the Delphi one) Takes a 296/522 standard filter element. cost 50p from an autojumble The element cost more than the housing at £4.
its on the transom and did get a bit crusty after a season but i cleaned it up and coated it in vaseline and its holding up well. No issues with using the diesel element with petrol either.
I think this type would be OK too, disco TDi for a few beer tokens
Not sure what the thread was though, it wasnt quite 1/4bsp, so i had to chase the thread with a 1/4bspt tap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Discovery-...item256530994d
Old 04 July 2011, 20:28   #13

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
Not sure what the thread was though, it wasnt quite 1/4bsp, so i had to chase the thread with a 1/4bspt tap.
I found my Suzuki unit has NPT threads.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2011, 11:58   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
that's the one and thats cheap, separ or racor you won't get much change if any out of £200
Here you go

Racor Filters, Racor 300 Spin-On (Petrol)
Old 05 July 2011, 12:17   #15

Old (2005) thread on the diesel filter for petrol discussion here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/which-f...ter-11958.html
Old 05 July 2011, 15:14   #16

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i was a racor or separ man until i was shown one that yamaha do, it's all plastic body and paper filter makes it a fraction of the price of the others, another good thing is that it has an orange ring in the bowl that floats in water and not petrol, you can see it in a glance
Biffer; are you talking about the under-cowl filter? Or a canister, remote-mounted one. If the latter, I've never seen one.

I use a Racor on my boat, in addition to the standard Yam under-cowl seaparator/filter (little plastic job with a water detection circuit going to the engine electronics.) If you are mounting in an enclosed space, you should use the metal bowl on the Racor (at least in the US; USCG regs prevent using the see-thru plastic bowl in enclosed spaces.)

Yamaha makes (or sells; it's probably a rebranded commercial unit) a canister filter; no bowl just a blue-painted steel can, like a spin-on oil filter, rated at 10 microns, and somewhere around 90 GPH, as I recall. I'm sure other manufacturers do similarly.

Racor does make diesel filter canisters as well (in response to the Delphi comments.)

As to the corrosion issue, the canister should be changed yearly anyway. I find that giving the canister a coat of automotive wax before installation helps it last the season with minimal rusting.

jky
Old 07 July 2011, 11:31   #17

RIBase
thanks for all the input - think i will go for a simple CAV system. The racor filters are nice but the replacement kit is rather pricey and don't think in my setup it will make a lot of difference since corrosion will not be an issue for us.

<<below offtopic, sorry>>

In the meantime we are all set for the 'conversion part 2' of my/our Delta rib from inboard/hamilton to outboard (suzuki df 250 XXU). I will make (for those who are interested ofcourse) some postings on the forum in the coming months on things we did/didnt do/shouldnt have done in retrospect, incl some pictures ofcourse. It goes without saying that suggestions are always welcomed.