Old 04 July 2011, 12:05   #11
Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
+1 for the delphi. I am not aware of any issues with using them for petrol. Mine started to show corrosion on the outside fairly swiftly which I suppose could have been avoided had delphi lacquered them on production. I coated mine with vaseline and that seems to have held it back now. I went for the double filter version

Courageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2011, 12:46   #12
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
I have a Landrover one on mine (looks like the Delphi one) Takes a 296/522 standard filter element. cost 50p from an autojumble The element cost more than the housing at £4.
its on the transom and did get a bit crusty after a season but i cleaned it up and coated it in vaseline and its holding up well. No issues with using the diesel element with petrol either.
I think this type would be OK too, disco TDi for a few beer tokens
Not sure what the thread was though, it wasnt quite 1/4bsp, so i had to chase the thread with a 1/4bspt tap.

I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2011, 15:28   #13
RIBnet supporter
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
Not sure what the thread was though, it wasnt quite 1/4bsp, so i had to chase the thread with a 1/4bspt tap.
I found my Suzuki unit has NPT threads.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2011, 06:58   #14
RIBnet supporter
Town: Cambs/Northants
Boat name: Déjà Vu
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 15/250
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
that's the one and thats cheap, separ or racor you won't get much change if any out of £200
Here you go

Racor Filters, Racor 300 Spin-On (Petrol)
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2011, 07:17   #15
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Old (2005) thread on the diesel filter for petrol discussion here:

which fuel filter?
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2011, 10:14   #16
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i was a racor or separ man until i was shown one that yamaha do, it's all plastic body and paper filter makes it a fraction of the price of the others, another good thing is that it has an orange ring in the bowl that floats in water and not petrol, you can see it in a glance
Biffer; are you talking about the under-cowl filter? Or a canister, remote-mounted one. If the latter, I've never seen one.

I use a Racor on my boat, in addition to the standard Yam under-cowl seaparator/filter (little plastic job with a water detection circuit going to the engine electronics.) If you are mounting in an enclosed space, you should use the metal bowl on the Racor (at least in the US; USCG regs prevent using the see-thru plastic bowl in enclosed spaces.)

Yamaha makes (or sells; it's probably a rebranded commercial unit) a canister filter; no bowl just a blue-painted steel can, like a spin-on oil filter, rated at 10 microns, and somewhere around 90 GPH, as I recall. I'm sure other manufacturers do similarly.

Racor does make diesel filter canisters as well (in response to the Delphi comments.)

As to the corrosion issue, the canister should be changed yearly anyway. I find that giving the canister a coat of automotive wax before installation helps it last the season with minimal rusting.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2011, 06:31   #17
Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
thanks for all the input - think i will go for a simple CAV system. The racor filters are nice but the replacement kit is rather pricey and don't think in my setup it will make a lot of difference since corrosion will not be an issue for us.

<<below offtopic, sorry>>

In the meantime we are all set for the 'conversion part 2' of my/our Delta rib from inboard/hamilton to outboard (suzuki df 250 XXU). I will make (for those who are interested ofcourse) some postings on the forum in the coming months on things we did/didnt do/shouldnt have done in retrospect, incl some pictures ofcourse. It goes without saying that suggestions are always welcomed.

gohelm is offline   Reply With Quote