Click Here to Login

Old 17 April 2009, 17:52   #21

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
If you have the room get two batteries 110 amp hours would be fine.
Old 17 April 2009, 19:52   #22

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
If you have the room get two batteries 110 amp hours would be fine.
Gets my thumbs up!

The only things I would say is to get a dual purpose battery (good recharge and starting amps at a good price).

And....to do with battery management. I always check the voltage on each battery (seperately) in positions 1 and 2 before start-up and compare voltage. This would give you a very good Idea if one battery is going faulty. As for charging I always run the RIB in the both position (charging both batterys). If I come to a halt and want to use on board electrics with the engine off, like I do during fishing sessions then I select one or the other, this gives me a safety marging over flattening the battery.

By doing this procedure I think you can do away with Automatic electric management systems (VSR) and save on the cost and have increased reliability.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2009, 04:51   #23

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
By doing this procedure I think you can do away with Automatic electric management systems (VSR) and save on the cost and have increased reliability.
Assuming you remember to actually switch from Both to one or the other, I'd say Hightower is about right. Unfortunately, I cannot (from experience) trust myself to do that.

The VSR is on the short list of additions to my boat.

jky
Old 18 April 2009, 10:54   #24

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Assuming you remember to actually switch from Both to one or the other, I'd say Hightower is about right. Unfortunately, I cannot (from experience) trust myself to do that.

The VSR is on the short list of additions to my boat.

jky
Just be aware that certain members on here run boat hire businesses and have used this type of control. When I was asking several years ago, these said companies PMed me to say that out of all the problems that happened during the season, these VSR's were amungst the worst. Might be different now, but just wanted to get my point across that sometimes it's better to keep things simple.

PS. I always make it procedure to check batt switch position before start-up, having said that I have forgotton to switch to both before start-up, but the engine started on one battery (which it should) anyway.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2009, 17:45   #25

Town: sheffield
Boat name: barracuda
Make: Humber 7.6 mts
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200HP mercury
thanks to all fellow rib,sters/boaters

hi
spent all day on the boat today saturday.

the battery had been fullycharged and put back on the rib

the fault was with the terminal wires on to the battery.
the previous owner must have put a plastic coating on them to stop salt water etc, but the plastic was stopping a good clean contact so have striped both down and re connected to the battery the engine started in 1 second of the key turning ...this i tested about 10 times will re test in a few days,
( engine run with water muffs on. i always do this , as you should not even turn the key without them connected when out of water

as to 2 battrery,s or 1. i have mixed feelings but for now will stick to 1 as less complicated re charging etc.........................

a big thanks to all

steve in sheffield

going to whitby may bank holliday if anybody is interested get intouch ta
Old 18 April 2009, 18:22   #26

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneyre View Post
hi
spent all day on the boat today saturday.

the battery had been fullycharged and put back on the rib

the fault was with the terminal wires on to the battery.
the previous owner must have put a plastic coating on them to stop salt water etc, but the plastic was stopping a good clean contact so have striped both down and re connected to the battery the engine started in 1 second of the key turning ...this i tested about 10 times will re test in a few days,
( engine run with water muffs on. i always do this , as you should not even turn the key without them connected when out of water

as to 2 battrery,s or 1. i have mixed feelings but for now will stick to 1 as less complicated re charging etc.........................

a big thanks to all

steve in sheffield

going to whitby may bank holliday if anybody is interested get intouch ta
Steve
may i suggest if you are going with one you carry a power pack with you as from experience it does help and is there just in case. When I first started I was grateful for it on more than one occasion.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2009, 18:34   #27

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I run with two Halfords 110AH Car batteries which have so far lasted 4 years, even with long periods of non use during the winter.

I think if you have room its a good safety feature, especially if you anchor and listed to music or run the fishfinder and end up running down the battery.

I run a simple - Off, 1, Both, 2 - battery selector switch, and tend to run Batt 1 on the way somewhere, and Batt 2 on the way back, to get even(ish) useage/charging.

Nasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cons.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	41999  
Old 27 April 2009, 06:47   #28

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneyre View Post

I hope you don't redret that decision. Might I suggest you praxtice a few pull starts on your engine just in case
Old 27 April 2009, 07:36   #29

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
securing battery

On a different but related item,how does everybody secure the battery/box in the consol? the first real run I had I was sure the fuel tank was banging up and down in the hull..until I idntified the battery inside the box banging up and down. The original had been held in place with a section of foam rubber in the box and the box itself screwed to the consol floor. I fitted a new box with terminals on the outside and charging connections for phones etc.

I thought about glassing in two attaching points to put a strap over the whole thing to remove any chance of movement. anybody else had to solve this problem?
Old 27 April 2009, 08:05   #30
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
On a different but related item,how does everybody secure the battery/box in the consol? the first real run I had I was sure the fuel tank was banging up and down in the hull..until I idntified the battery inside the box banging up and down. The original had been held in place with a section of foam rubber in the box and the box itself screwed to the consol floor. I fitted a new box with terminals on the outside and charging connections for phones etc.

I thought about glassing in two attaching points to put a strap over the whole thing to remove any chance of movement. anybody else had to solve this problem?
I screwed and glued the boxes down and put foam inside to secure the battery's, then i put a strap around the lot to fix the lid in place.

Just in case this was not any good I also added two bits of stainless angle at either side of the boxes with holes drilled in so that I could fix a frame either over the boxes or top of the batteries but haven't needed this yet

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt fix 1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	42175   Click image for larger version

Name:	batt fix 2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	42176   Click image for larger version

Name:	batt fix 3.jpg