Old 16 April 2009, 09:13   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
A but prawn you get 'special' rain in wales!!

J
Oh it's special alright - you can have as much as you like!!! in fairness it's been pretty good for the last few weeks save for a couple of bad days.

the weather forecasts seem to have been totally wrong for the whole of the Easter bank holiday - thank god!!!

Old 16 April 2009, 09:17   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Oh it's special alright - you can have as much as you like!!! in fairness it's been pretty good for the last few weeks save for a couple of bad days.

the weather forecasts seem to have been totally wrong for the whole of the Easter bank holiday - thank god!!!
Yea I am just back from an other famous wet area Argyll and had a wonderful rain free sunny easter w/end! Unfortunatly I was antifouling!!
Never mind as long as there long range 4cast for the 'hottest@ summer comes true.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2009, 09:22   #13

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
i think it might - the last time Swansea marina froze over we had one of our hottest summers ever and it froze over again this year!!!
Old 16 April 2009, 10:51   #14

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
My single 120a/hr battery will start the engine after 2 months of heavy rain and there is no cover on the boat - and Wales is pretty wet!!!
Thanks Cod - but us Opti owners need special electricity for our sensitive motors . Seriously something still isn't 100% but its being reliable at the mo ( rather than not starting at all like times during last summer ) so I dont want to disturb anything .

I forked out for 2 new batteries, switches & cabling over the winter so need a break before I try & find the real problems ! Have also gone down from 2 x 110Ah to 2 x 85Ah - so that cant help !
Old 16 April 2009, 12:07   #15

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
my old fishing boat had 2 batterys even though it was a 12 volt system owing to the fact they were crap batterys in the first place ,i changed them for one decent battery and had never any problems ,if you do decide to put 2 together and its a 12 volt system they need to be wired right otherwise you will get 24 volts ,
Old 16 April 2009, 14:07   #16

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious to some people but two 12v batteries in series will create 24v and in parallel 12v but will last twice as long.

http://www.nyc-arecs.org/Connecting_...d_Parallel.pdf
Old 16 April 2009, 16:24   #17

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
trouble turning over

might sound stupid, but we recently went from a 90 3 cylinder opti where one battery turned it over very rapidly. We now have the v6 2.5ltre 175 which is the same block as the 150, this has two batteries but importantly it sounds like it is hardly turning over when you start it, and i have heard 3 engines like this. It sounds like it only turns over twice before starting, wheareas the 90 turned over like a car. Also, it sounds the same with one battery isolated, so you dont need two to turn it over.

Hope this helps.
Old 16 April 2009, 17:23   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
If you are going to replace your starter cables, I strongly recommend using the Ancor Lifetime cable. It's tinned so it won't suffer corrosion like normal auto cable. This way you can really fit and forget. If you've got good cables, and the power can get through to the engine, there really isn't any need for a second battery, unless you have a lot of electronics that are used when the engine is off. In which case a dedicated 'domestic' circuit is a good idea so you don't drain your start battery.
Old 17 April 2009, 11:53   #19

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
there really isn't any need for a second battery, unless you have a lot of electronics that are used when the engine is off. In which case a dedicated 'domestic' circuit is a good idea so you don't drain your start battery.
I have two batteries, both wired up identically, but through a selector switch. Just have to remember to switch it occasionally to charge the non-selected one. Bottom line is that I run the motor, lights, and electronics off whatever is selected, and have the second battery (theoretically) fresh in case the first is depleted.

How you wire up a pair of batteries is not as important as understanding the system and using it appropriately.

jky
Old 17 April 2009, 13:20   #20

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I ended up fitting two batteries but fed through a VSR with switch. The switch gives off-batt1-batt2-both but when left in either batt1 or batt2 will isolate and auto charge the other battery whichever one this is.
Always gives me a spare battery no matter what I do, has worked well since installed.
The battery management is automatic and doesn't rely on making sure the second battery is kept charged by switching etc