Old 05 May 2007, 08:47   #1

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Old problem back

My old problem is back.Just gone to startup the boat and looked like a flat battery got another battery and same problem. What could give the same indication of a flat battery. Thanks all

Old 05 May 2007, 08:50   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Are your battery leads soldered to the clamps? Solder goes off and will cause this. Grab leads and wiggle gently while someone turns the key-it should start spinning hard.

Either that or your starter solenoid is dead?
Try a direct connection to starter motor by shorting across the solenoid terminals with a big screwdriver.....just make sure no fuel is lying around as it'll spark hard!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2007, 09:17   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Neal,

Yep had this on a friends boat. Was the starter solenoid which we jumped with a pair of pliers. Loads of sparks.

I also had it with the main fuse holder coming apart under the engine cowling which wouldn't let me turn over the engine.
Old 05 May 2007, 14:30   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
My old problem is back.Just gone to startup the boat and looked like a flat battery got another battery and same problem. What could give the same indication of a flat battery. Thanks all
Its a fairly straightforwad circuit however there is insuffcent information such as I assume that the 2nd battery is a good one as one can expect their own battery to have a low charge at the beginning fo a season if unused over winter (lead acid battery that is).
I am assuming that you have checked the Isolation switch which are iffy at the best of times. Assuming that you have checked the connections then one is only left with the solenoid (relay switch often attached to the starter block or the starter itself.

I suggest you get yourself a Battery pack or flash starter or whatever they call them and earth first direct to adjacent Starter Black Wire Bolt.
Carefully with the other lead attach firmly to the Positive of the actual Starter unit (not the solenoid) and assuming this kicks to start, work back till it does not.

Aidan
Old 05 May 2007, 15:03   #5

Town: iow
Boat name: kaykan
Make: tornado 5.8
Engine: Evinrude 115 HO
MMSI: 235091895
Had a similar problem with my old Yamaha 90, some times it would turn over very slowly (like having a flat battery) or not at all, checked very thing out and found it was the brushes on the starter motor , easy to change and it has been fine since
Old 05 May 2007, 16:07   #6

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Neal

Hi.

I had a similar problem with my old Johnson, it turned out to be the Battery selector switch corroded inside. Although I'm sure many things can give the same impression.

Try using a set of jump leads to connect a battery direct to the terminals on the engine the battery leads fit to.

This will at least eliminate any problems outside the engine and give you a fighting chance of deciding where the fault lies

Nasher
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2007, 17:01   #7

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
First thing is ( if you have power trim) just trying trimming it up, if its fine and goes at normal speed then its not the battery but the start circuit. Is the engine totally dead when you try and start?, if so the solenoid could be at fault, if you take the small wire off the solenoid ( from memory its yellow in coulor) its held on by a small 8mm nut, then touch that wire to the live post on the solenoid then you will bypass it without all the sparks!!. If it turns over the you have a dodgy solenoid. Also check the starter make sure you can turn the Bendix around in both directions by hand it should be easy to turn, if not maybe the starter is worn out. As said before check the fuse, its a singe fuse make sure its sitting correctly in its holder and not corroded.
Old 05 May 2007, 17:09   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
And just in cast you have not checked the totally stupid (which is what usually trips me up!) then is it definitely in neutral (ie. its not the start in gear protection - or I guess any fault with that circuit).
Old 05 May 2007, 17:36   #9

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
.... if so the solenoid could be at fault, if you take the small wire off the solenoid ( from memory its yellow in coulor) its held on by a small 8mm nut, then touch that wire to the live post on the solenoid then you will bypass it without all the sparks!!. If it turns over the you have a dodgy solenoid. ...
Old 06 May 2007, 07:06   #10

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
What does mean?