Old 07 December 2019, 18:38   #1

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Old mercury 2 strokes

Hi. I am looking at a 2 stroke, as something a bit lighter than my 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke.

I've seen a mercury 7.5hp 2 stroke. I'd guess it's 1980's as has blue decals. Not the more modern red ones.

What are these like build quality wise. I've read that some mercury's are the same as Yamaha's / mariners, but I don't know if that is this vintage / size.

Any thoughts on these engines?
Old 08 December 2019, 11:58   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just a personal view but going back to a 70/80s Mercury might not be the best for use at sea. Lots of possibilities for wiring problems, breakdown of ign components and snapped bolts when you try and undertake maintenance etc etc.
Old 08 December 2019, 16:47   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Best leave them alone

Too old to be used reliably,
Old 08 December 2019, 18:53   #4

Town: Fakenham
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: 75hp 2 stroke mercur
Ok not a mercury but I have a 1975 20hp yam 2 stroke that runs perfectly. Better than my late 90s mercury most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Best leave them alone

Too old to be used reliably,
Old 08 December 2019, 19:24   #5

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I would agree to a certain extent, alot less to go wrong.

I would not want a 30/40 year old etec that's for sure
Old 09 December 2019, 05:17   #6

When I walk around the harbours and look at a lot of regularly used work boats and small fishing boats, I see a lot of people running the 1980's style Yamaha's and mariners with the square cowling. That is one of the reasons I was tempted, I suppose I don't know how often these guys break down though! I believe these old mariners and Yamaha's are considered to still be very reliable, I was really trying to understand how different the mercury was - were they made in the same factory and re-badged, or similar design made under licence etc.?

This engine is cheap enough that I could give it a pretty thorough overhaul (although maybe not as good as fenlander has given to his Yamaha!) and it would still not cost me much. Maybe I'll have a look for a winter project and sell it on in the summer.
Old 09 December 2019, 08:56   #7

I think this is the way to go. I have a Tohatsu 9.8 that is in mint condition and when I want it it works and runs like a sewing machine. I use it every couple of years.

I have had a;

14' Fletcher with a 50 Yam 2 Stroke super reliable, 3 years old when I bought it had it for 6 years. Ran like a dream.

5.35m Ribtec with a 60 Yam 2 Stroke, old when I got it, ran beautifully only sold it to upgrade the whole boat.

5.4m Solent with a 75hp Etec brand new, it was ok but highly complex and I was worried from all the stories, sold it 2.5 years before warranty ran out got away lightly.

My brother has a 5.5 Ballistic with originally a 90hp Etec, loads of trouble with many aspects, he changed the engine for a....90hp Etec ( I think he's mad).

Now I'm building my boat for life, I have bought a 90hp Yam 2 Stroke with 90 hrs on it. So far I love it.
We will have to wait and see if I've done the right thing, but my mantra with this build has been; keep it simple.

A relible older/1980s engine is surely better for the environment than replacing highy complicated engines regularly.

It's an interesting topic
Old 09 December 2019, 10:35   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>It's an interesting topic

Yes and of course to an extent in having just chosen to buy and run an outboard that will be 17yrs old as this year turns I'm supporting your theory.

I know and hear of loads of folks that have great condition and reliable 2-strokes around year 2000-2006 (25hp and below where my experience lies)… but I also know and hear of folks who've bought 1970/80s outboards only to find getting them to run well a challenge.

So on the stats if someone asks re the older ones I advise caution... that doesn't mean there aren't some good ones out there but as you look back each extra 5yrs older that gets less likely.
Old 09 December 2019, 11:37   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
Hi. I am looking at a 2 stroke, as something a bit lighter than my 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke.

I've seen a mercury 7.5hp 2 stroke. I'd guess it's 1980's as has blue decals. Not the more modern red ones.

What are these like build quality wise. I've read that some mercury's are the same as Yamaha's / mariners, but I don't know if that is this vintage / size.

Any thoughts on these engines?
The "Blue Band" will be 1980s, possibly late 1970s. At that age I believe they will be Mercury manufacture.
If you get a good one that's been regularly used and properly maintained and never under water than it might be OK. But you won't really know until after you've bought it and started to use it.

My Brother has an old 7.5hp merc - with a silver band so even older and we used it quite happily on the Thames when we were teenagers in the late 1980s. It was a smoky rattly thing back then. Happy to use it on the non-tidal thames, but he's not keen to use it on the Hamble these days.
On the other hand I'd be quite happy with a 2000-2006 well looked after 6/8/9.8/9.9/15 merc / mariner / yamaha / Tohatsu 2 stroke.
Old 09 December 2019, 12:35   #10

Yamahas outboards were built in Japan by one of the leading engine manufacturers in the world. Mercury’s were built in the US by one of the leading bowling ball manufacturers.

Yamahas were head and shoulders above the Mercs in the 80s, still reliable to this day hence so many of them still around and in use.
Old 09 December 2019, 13:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
5.4m Solent with a 75hp Etec brand new, it was ok but highly complex and I was worried from all the stories, sold it 2.5 years before warranty ran out got away lightly.
that should say "I sold it at 2.5 years, before the warranty ran out"
Old 09 December 2019, 13:21   #12

I had this engine for twenty odd years.

Bought it from my Dads friend who'd had it years before, it was seized when I got it.

Under my ownership it got used a lot for short periods then stored, sometimes for years, it always started easily. I ran it thru with fresh water after use and put engine oil in the cyinders when storing for long periods. It was a good engine.

I added a kill cord when they became popular.

I sold it because it kicked up in reverse and the part had broken and i could not get the spares.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191209_141014.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	131709  
Old 09 December 2019, 20:47   #13

Oh well, they have sold now. There was a pair, a 7.5HP and a 4HP. Both black Mercurys with blue decals. I would guess main engine and a spare. The seller was only asking £300 for both. I guess someone got a bargain!
Old 09 December 2019, 22:23   #14

More likely someone’s got a £300 headache.
Old 10 December 2019, 04:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom 19 View Post
Old 10 December 2019, 06:41   #16

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom 19 View Post
I run a 1987 mercury 2s 60hp which is excellent in terms of condition and reliability, only every had one issue with the switch box in its whole life and then replaced with a secondhand unit from a mate.

Our dive club yam 115 2s is Bril a 1994 v4 engine which again is Bril and again the only issue has been the switch box, which we replaced ourselves cost 530£ from memory. Both engines are in great condition, however they are stored inside and washed down with plenty of tlc etc.

Yes they use lots of fuel but are pretty cheap to maintain easy to service etc. Actually wouldn’t want anything else.

So a good used engine I don’t thing is a problem provided you do the usual checks.
Old 10 December 2019, 07:00   #17

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I had a Merc 7.5 in the 1980's it was used on an angling boat. It was very hard on petrol fouled the plugs on a regular basis. It was not that easy to start kicked up in reverse. I now use a Johnston 15 up 2 stroke. Circa 2001 vintage. Easy to start not hard on petrol I use XD 100 mix when helps with the smell or two stroke.

Tsm
Old 15 June 2020, 21:23   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Das float
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury thunder 20hp
I've just brought a Zodiac classic MK2 and it came with the same engine.
Im told its very reliable.
I'm having it serviced before I use it but I've been told the throttle is a little sticky from time to time and the fuel lead attachment has been modified (Probably due to damage). was hoping to get a replacement for that.
Also there is no kill cord, so hope thats easy to install ?