Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 09 May 2008, 14:51   #1

Town: Gran Canaria
Boat name: Amigos Dos
Make: Lomac
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury Optimax 250
Oil problem Mercury Optimax 250 XL Problem Solved :-)

If anyone is interested in the oil leak problem i was having with my Optimax 250xl. It is finally solved !!

previous link is

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23907

The engine having spent more time being tapped by Mercuy's mechanics, than you could shake a stick at!! is now leaking oil FREE.

The oil leak was due to incorrect 2 stoke oil being used. I was using the Quicksilver DFi 2 stroke oil, my Mercury dealer sold me and it clearly says, that it is for use with Optimax engines on the side.

But it now appears that you have to use the Quicksilver Premium Plus type for 250 and 300 engines.

It has now been running for 2 weeks with the new oil and the leak has stopped :-)

However still nobody can tell me where the oil was coming from and why it was running out in that location ??
Old 09 May 2008, 23:17   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
How can a different type of oil cause a leak???
Old 12 May 2008, 06:48   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by diveacademy View Post
If anyone is interested in the oil leak problem i was having with my Optimax 250xl. It is finally solved !!

previous link is

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23907

The engine having spent more time being tapped by Mercuy's mechanics, than you could shake a stick at!! is now leaking oil FREE.

The oil leak was due to incorrect 2 stoke oil being used. I was using the Quicksilver DFi 2 stroke oil, my Mercury dealer sold me and it clearly says, that it is for use with Optimax engines on the side.

But it now appears that you have to use the Quicksilver Premium Plus type for 250 and 300 engines.

It has now been running for 2 weeks with the new oil and the leak has stopped :-)

However still nobody can tell me where the oil was coming from and why it was running out in that location ??
Well its good to know its stopped, but if I know some dealers , they will have found the loose pipe or fitting, that they missed 5 other times, tightened it, then told you to buy a more expensive oil from them, using that to justify their previous ineptitude
Old 12 May 2008, 06:49   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Well its good to know its stopped, but if I know some dealers , they will have found the loose pipe or fitting, tightened it, then told you to buy a more expensive oil from them when they were at it
Yes I'd go with that one too
Old 12 May 2008, 21:56   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Yes I'd go with that one too
So would I
Old 21 May 2008, 07:22   #6

Town: Gran Canaria
Boat name: Amigos Dos
Make: Lomac
Engine: Mercury Optimax 250
Yes i would normally agree, but the mechanics did not return to the boat after saying that it was the oil causing the problem ( it is not possible for them to return, without me knowing about it) !!

I simply changed the oil in the reservoir after they told me, then replaced it with the new and after 30 Min's running the leak stopped :-)
Old 25 May 2008, 03:49   #7

Town: Grenada
Length: 9m +
Oil leak

Does your boat spend much time at tick over, 2/ don't burn cleanly at tickover as they don't burn off all the oil in the fuel properly, black looking residue will sometime collect in the exhaust, maybe the other oil was not burning properly or being feed in at too high mix for some reason, normally this will dry up after running fast for a while at normal running temp. But may return if you spend a long time at tickover again, I run 2x 225 optimax and have not had that problem although we do get plugs coked up after about 50 hr which causes pinking under load. The part where the leg joins that had the leak may be part of the exhaust system.