Old 31 October 2012, 21:58   #1

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: Tanimola
Make: Brig F400S
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 40HP
Oil choice and source....

The manual tells me I can use either Evinrude/Johnson XD100 or TC-W3RL for my etec.

Looking through previous posts on this site and others there seems to be no definitive solution.

What is my best solution and best (value for money) source?
Old 31 October 2012, 22:09   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Your choice is between XD-100 (a proprietary Evinrude product) and XD-50 (which is branded TC-W3). Your motor must be programmed for one or the other. Usage of XD-100 is lower than XD-50/TC-W3.

If you have easy access to XD-100, my advice would be go that road, otherwise use XD-50. I previously ran a pair of Etec 90s. Running at mid-revs, I was getting oil usage of around 130:1 on XD-100, so quite economical.
Old 31 October 2012, 22:13   #3

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
If your engine is set to run XD100 use it! It will be putting less oil in so it needs to be XD100. If its not been set to use XD100 then a good quality oil ideally designed for direct injection.
We have great prices on both. http://www.rib-shop.com/prodtype.asp...ageHistory=cat
Old 31 October 2012, 22:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop
If your engine is set to run XD100 use it! It will be putting less oil in so it needs to be XD100. If its not been set to use XD100 then a good quality oil ideally designed for direct injection.
We have great prices on both. http://www.rib-shop.com/prodtype.asp...ageHistory=cat
I am assuming it has been set to the XD 100 as I was given a couple of litres when I bought the boat.

I will check when the engine is serviced!
Old 31 October 2012, 22:22   #5

Quote:
Loving the premium for the XD 100!!! Is this justified or am I just being cynical?
Old 31 October 2012, 22:28   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanimola View Post
Loving the premium for the XD 100!!! Is this justified or am I just being cynical?
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Usage of XD-100 is lower than XD-50/TC-W3.
Jeez - I must stop typing in invisible ink
Old 31 October 2012, 22:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk

Jeez - I must stop typing in invisible ink
Not really, I know that you get what you pay for!!!

As ever the debate over "initial price v value for money in the long run" can run and run.

Michelin tyres or remoulds?
Old 31 October 2012, 22:44   #8

Quote:
Will give you a bell and get an order in.

Thanks
Old 01 November 2012, 07:16   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: MALTA
Engine: Mercury 115 EFI 4S
Severs ETEC owners will tell you that if you want to really err on the side of caution and really protect your engine, set it for XD-50/TCW3 but still fill it with XD-100. Personally i see it as an overkill to do that but I know several owners on an ETEC forum who swear by that.

The great thing about owning an ETEC is the ease at which you can connect to the engine using an easy to make cable and the relevant software......you don't need to be a mechanic to benefit from the info the EVdiagnostics displays to you as the owner and the engine usage summary is very useful.

I have my ETEC 225 set to XD-100 and am using the expensive oil
Old 01 November 2012, 09:27   #10

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by npm108 View Post
Severs ETEC owners will tell you that if you want to really err on the side of caution and really protect your engine, set it for XD-50/TCW3 but still fill it with XD-100. Personally i see it as an overkill to do that but I know several owners on an ETEC forum who swear by that.

The great thing about owning an ETEC is the ease at which you can connect to the engine using an easy to make cable and the relevant software......you don't need to be a mechanic to benefit from the info the EVdiagnostics displays to you as the owner and the engine usage summary is very useful.

I have my ETEC 225 set to XD-100 and am using the expensive oil
Mine's using XD100 and set to TCW3 setting for maximum protection, because that's what I understand is best in cold conditions and water temp here is single figures C.

It doesn't smoke at all. I think I got about ten gallons of XD100 oil (US gallons - 3.7L) when I bought the boat and I have used about six or seven of them in two years, so just about to think about ordering some more.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2012, 10:59   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Mine's using XD100 and set to TCW3 setting for maximum protection, because that's what I understand is best in cold conditions and water temp here is single figures C.

It doesn't smoke at all. I think I got about ten gallons of XD100 oil (US gallons - 3.7L) when I bought the boat and I have used about six or seven of them in two years, so just about to think about ordering some more.
Snap. I was told that this was a good if maybe overly cautious idea by a couple of different dealers. It doesn't use a huge amount of oil on the standard TCW3 setting anyway. I buy the XD100 oil in bulk from the Ribstuff website at about £35/gallon.
Old 01 November 2012, 14:16   #12
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
The manual tells me I can use either Evinrude/Johnson XD100 or TC-W3RL for my etec.

Looking through previous posts on this site and others there seems to be no definitive solution.

If you think of the savings your already make with less overall service charges compaired with 4st, makes it worth spending that bit extra on the propper 2st oil imho.
Old 02 November 2012, 08:45   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
Snap. I was told that this was a good if maybe overly cautious idea by a couple of different dealers. It doesn't use a huge amount of oil on the standard TCW3 setting anyway. I buy the XD100 oil in bulk from the Ribstuff website at about £35/gallon.
I've just ordered some from Ribstuff too

The cost of 2 or 3 cans a year on the higher setting is peanuts compared the fuel cost, the depreciation cost, and the £1000 odd a year it cost to insure the thing, so money well spent I think. I can't buy it in this country and mine travels 8000 miles to get here from the supplier, but it doesn't take much forward planning to make sure you don't run out.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2012, 13:43   #14

Town: Fareham
Quote:

Is your engine still under warranty? If so there is only one choice and that's the BRP Evinrude stuff as any other brand found when inspecting a broken engine will invalidate your cover.

FYI for the sake of saving a few £'s I always use the genuine XD50 stuff in mine, it's just not worth the risk.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2012, 12:14   #15
RIBnet supporter

You sure about that Andy....my understanding is that it would only be an issue if the EMM is programmed for the reduced oil XD-100 and you use something else.....

If it's set for TC-W3 you can use any TC-W3 oil even when under warranty, though it is suggested that you check to make sure what you choose is listed here Certification - TC-W3
Old 05 November 2012, 13:11   #16

Town: Fareham
I'm pretty sure that was the criteria of the warranty when my engine was covered. I'd certainly check and to be honest for a few extra £'s is it worth the risk?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2012, 16:12   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
to be honest for a few extra £'s is it worth the risk?
If there WAS a risk, then no.

The question is: is there a risk? Is Evinrude XD50 a superior TC-W3 rated oil? I presume that TC-W3 is a minimum standard and so there MIGHT be better and worse oils within that category. Is XD-50 one of them? I wouldn't assume this to be the case any more than I would assume that Evinrude make the best engines.

Of course, if BRP insist that you use their oil, then that's a gamechanger.

Having seen the inside of their software, I'm not convinced that they do.
Old 05 November 2012, 16:18   #18

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Evinrude make engines.... Not oil. And it's the very same with mercury and their quicksilver optimax oils

When I spoke to a colleague in the oil industry, re the use of mercury/quicksilver opti branded oil....... He stated he was yet to see a 'mercury or quicksilver' oil rig ...... Ie what he was implying was that they buy their oil, not make it, and then bottle it (though he reckons they don't even do that bit), label it and sell it on for a hefty profit. If oil is specked as tcw3 then there is no reason why it can not be used - or am I missing something??
Old 05 November 2012, 16:27   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbryson75 View Post
Evinrude make engines.... Not oil. And it's the very same with mercury and their quicksilver optimax oils

When I spoke to a colleague in the oil industry, re the use of mercury/quicksilver opti branded oil....... He stated he was yet to see a 'mercury or quicksilver' oil rig ...... Ie what he was implying was that they buy their oil, not make it, and then bottle it (though he reckons they don't even do that bit), label it and sell it on for a hefty profit. If oil is specked as tcw3 then there is no reason why it can not be used - or am I missing something??
I had an interesting exchange with a Technical type from ELF. He reckoned he could "make" XD100, for very little £££. Would using his "XD100" void a BRP warranty was more my question...
Old 06 November 2012, 06:58   #20
RIBnet supporter

Hmm this is interesting, after what Andy wrote I decided to dig a little deeper and pulled this off the Evinrude UK site http://www.evinrude.com/content/pdf/...conditions.pdf

Note the word "Special" in conditions, which in my books tends to translate to ££££!

"ONLY BRP Evinrude certified parts, oils and lubes must be used for service and repairs of the Evinrude outboard engine during the entire eligible period for this programme to apply."

To me it should be written with oils* and then they explain that if engine is programmed for XD-100 ....etc etc

Alot of manufacturers seem to be doing this 3+2 warranty but then tying you down with very restrictive conditions.