Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 October 2012, 05:08   #1
Member
 
Dan Gurney's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 841
Noob 2 stroke question

How prone at 2 strokes *really* to oiling up?

I am currently trying to decide between spending my 4k on an elderly RIB or a less elderly SIB. For various reasons a RIB is a more attractive option but the ones of the size and type (5 metres ideally) that I can afford tend to have 2 strokes. Now back in the early 90s when I used to occasionally drive our sailing club's Dory which had a 30hp Johnson 2 stroke on it, everyone was consatntly worrying about the thing oiling up. But that was rescue cover so it spent a lot of time idling. If I was to take my RIB to say, Windermere, and run it all day at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle would that cause it to oil up/or harm the engine?
__________________

__________________
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2012, 06:36   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 506
it would not harm the engine at all.
and it takes seconds to clear. if its geting oily take it out of gear and rev it up.
simple
you get alot of smoke for a min then it clears itself.
oiling up is really nothing to worry about at all.
I Bimble arround protsmouth alot and my 75 2st doesnt mind getting oiled up. you can tell as it starts to get smokey after say 1 hr at about 10knt . but a quick blast on the throttle clears it.

anything about arround 1/3 throttle and it sorts itself out anyways.
__________________

__________________
jezza2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2012, 09:18   #3
Member
 
steco1958's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza2011 View Post
it would not harm the engine at all.
and it takes seconds to clear. if its geting oily take it out of gear and rev it up.
simple
you get alot of smoke for a min then it clears itself.
oiling up is really nothing to worry about at all.
I Bimble arround protsmouth alot and my 75 2st doesnt mind getting oiled up. you can tell as it starts to get smokey after say 1 hr at about 10knt . but a quick blast on the throttle clears it.

anything about arround 1/3 throttle and it sorts itself out anyways.
Agreed, same as my Tohatsu 50 Hp 2stroke
__________________
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2012, 09:23   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
The two stroke should be fine - carry a spare set of plugs and a spanner, just in case. A SIB is not a great replacement for a RIB.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2012, 10:01   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Yellow Peril
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100 (2T)
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The two stroke should be fine - carry a spare set of plugs and a spanner, just in case. A SIB is not a great replacement for a RIB.
Read up on hot vs. cold spark plugs, and carry a hotter set for use on the Lakes.

My Yamaha 2T 8hp gets different plugs for its use on planing and displacement boats. I'd do the same for a 4-stroke.
__________________
hobnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2012, 10:35   #6
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
My Yamaha 2T 8hp gets different plugs for its use on planing and displacement boats. I'd do the same for a 4-stroke.
Why would you do that on a four stroke?
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2012, 03:29   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
I did 7 hrs solid at pretty much idle on my prehistoric premix Merc.

Yes, i had to pull the plugs & clean them but it then did a 60odd mile round trip with no issues.

If its auto mixing, don't worry about it. If it isn't, don't worry but clean the plugs when you finished.
__________________

__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.