Old 05 August 2004, 13:30   #1

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Next fuels

Read this quote below about oil, somebody recently replied on a post that oil will never run out.

What will our next generation of OUTBOARDS/INBOARDS be fueled with?

This was a reply to a post about diesel alternatives,I am just quoting it to highlight a misconception we have about proven reserves , and a real problem thats out there!

Run out of diesel and petrol? NEVER!!! Oil is cheaper now than it has ever been - it's the bloody taxes that cripple! Remember diesel or petrol can be had for as little as 14p per litre wwith NO duty at all.

They seem to be finding new oil reserves all the time - oil will never run out but it may one day get to the stage where it's not economically viable to obtain - that will be a long way away.

Old oil fields actually replenish themselves to a certain extent as oil seeps back into the chambers. More of a worry is the CO2 being emmitted by ALL fossil fuels.

Of course the greens have the perfect answer - wind power............ oh and us all living in caves andd not using any energy!
End Quote

How long will it last?
Using these data (estimated reserves: 800 billions of barrels, world consumption: 76 millions per day), it looks like planet Earth has have oil for about 10,000 days, i.e. about 27 years. Assuming that consumption does not increase... If consumption increases an average 5% a year, then we have oil for about 15 years. But the US Geological Survey estimates the amount of oil that is still to be found at about 3 trillions, three times the oil reserves known today (it is not clear if "all" that oil can actually be pumped to the surface and therefore used).
But it has to be found first!

http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/oil.html

http://prorev.com/2004/06/how-much-oil-is-left.htm

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...lobal.warming/

http://members.aol.com/mpwright9/oil.html

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2004, 13:54   #2

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Riak
Make: National Squib
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2hp Yamahahahaha
MMSI: Nope
So the answer is.....

to remain a committed petrolhead for the next 15 (?) years or until your kidneys can take no more from the bashing (and the beer) then after that (or before if you are a real pessimist) learn how to sail become a WAFI buy a bicycle stick a flower in your hair.
Easy.

Old 05 August 2004, 14:02   #3

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
fuel

If fuel was the only thing we got from oil, it wouldnt be so bad, what about the chemical derivitives, paint products ,greases, plastics, rubbers etc etc,

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2004, 14:32   #4

Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
And think of the amount we use in oil fired power stations! Everyone goes on about the dangers of Nuclear power yet are happy to sit on the beach and soak in the rays of a massive nuclear explosion (SUN)

I say move to Nuclear and the load the waste into rockets and shoot it at the sun!

Also they have developed cars that run on water yet the oil companies spend millions on buying the patents to keep oil in demand!
Old 05 August 2004, 15:25   #5

Boat name: Riak
Make: National Squib
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2hp Yamahahahaha
MMSI: Nope
So I am not wasting my time buying a petrol engine with a 3 year warranty then?

Or am I being selfish and short - sighted?

Hmmmm
Old 05 August 2004, 16:59   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
And think of the amount we use in oil fired power stations! Everyone goes on about the dangers of Nuclear power yet are happy to sit on the beach and soak in the rays of a massive nuclear explosion (SUN)

I say move to Nuclear and the load the waste into rockets and shoot it at the sun!
Couldn't agree more - the GREENS have a hell of a lot to answer for - global warming due to CO2 is a major threat - Nuke power stations do not put out CO2!

After Chernoybyl the Germans and Swedes banned all nuclear power - they import natural gas from Russia - the Russians conserve they natural gas stocks by building more Nukes!!!! Personally I think I would rather the Germans and Swedes run nuke power stations than the Russians - where was Chernobyl again???
Old 05 August 2004, 16:59   #7

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Oil depletion

It's going to happen one day and during our lifetimes by the looks of things, the major problem comes from an increase in consumption by China which until recently has been relatively starved of oil, the developing third world countries are also increasing their consumption so this will probably add up to sooner rather than later, reports have suggested that 2003 was the year that demand started to outstrip supply.
Old 05 August 2004, 17:12   #8

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Nuclear Fusion predominantly, with some renewable.
If you've got enough power, you can synthesize almost anything.
Old 05 August 2004, 17:30   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
back to the future

Just bolt Mr' fusion onto your car.

This subject intrests me a lot as it is inevitable that oil prices wil rise and availablity will decline, this puts a lifespan on how long one can sustain a Rib charter company, and I don't think it will be more than six years.

They already have cars running in Germany on hydrogen fuel cells but it's a big hassle to refuel, I believe it needs a robot Arm to refuel, so that's gonna be iffy to install on a quayside, but it can happen.

I believe Alan Priddy involved in a round the world hydrocell powered boat for a trip next year? That will be interesting to see how it works out (I am not taking the piss here!) but it will be ground or sea breaking stuff
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2004, 17:46   #10

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Hydrogen is a fairly good source, and very easy to produce if you have enough power. You can run much higher compression ratios than petrol, plus 0 emissions, and also run much leaner than petrol. So it's a good compromise between petrol and diesel in many respects. The downside is that for a given engine capacity, you do get less power but the easy way round it is supercharging. Ford have a prototype engine at the moment that does exactly that. It also means existing engine concepts can be used so you don't have to go back to square 1 in engine design, which fuel cells and other hybrid solutions often are.

Of course the flip side is that hydrogen is tricky to handle, and does requrie quite a lot of power to electrolyse out of water, but since it's lighter than air, could actually be safer than petrol on a boat since any leaks would vent away, rather than collect in the bilge like petrol does in an enclosed compartment.