Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 May 2005, 13:29   #1
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
New Suzuki.

Does anybody have any expereance with de big Suzuki's
We are about to buy a new engine and Suz have great prices and also comes complete with prop and helmunit.
We would like to go for the 250 although the boat should be able to have a max of 225 hp.
All three engines (200,225,250) have the same weight.
I had the plan to make some changes on the transom, now i could reinforce it with some polyester and stainless steel.

Danny.
__________________

__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 13:42   #2
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 860
Great engines, i have installed 3 X 250, 1 X 225 and twin setup 225p Suz.
3 of the engines has around 500-600 hours without any probs except a that a rock was in the way under the water
The twin setup has only 20 hours and one engine has around 50 hours.
So far so good.
__________________

__________________
www.grandrib.se
Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 13:57   #3
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Petrov.

Maybe you know this also.
The current engine is a long one and the transom should have a ultralong one.
Eventhough the boat is going fanatastic.
The cavitationplate is 12 centimeters higher than the bottom of the boat.

I always thought that it should be at the same height. Is this true ?

Transom height is 60 centimeters.

Last weekend there was a apeedboatrace nearby and I noticed that all of them engines where also mounted higher. I really don't think that this Osprey is meant to be a racer.

What to do: buy a long or ultra long one.

Dan.
__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 14:49   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
Petrov.

Maybe you know this also.
The current engine is a long one and the transom should have a ultralong one.
Eventhough the boat is going fanatastic.
The cavitationplate is 12 centimeters higher than the bottom of the boat.

I always thought that it should be at the same height. Is this true ?

Transom height is 60 centimeters.

Last weekend there was a apeedboatrace nearby and I noticed that all of them engines where also mounted higher. I really don't think that this Osprey is meant to be a racer.

What to do: buy a long or ultra long one.

Dan.
Dan,

Make sure you have the correct shaft length according to the engine manufacturers specifications. We wrecked a Honda BF225 in less than 120 hours - caused by water ingress into the cylinders. The general consensus was that this was caused by having a short shaft instead of a long one.

Regards.

Ian.
__________________
Brambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 14:52   #5
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 860
Hi Danny;

You shouldnt have Ultra long, the 7m should have a extra long shaft or long shaft depending on how they cutted the transom.
I always install the engines a little bit higher and trying to find a good prop for this, offcourse it depends a little bit of how you use the boat.
12 cm sound maybe little high but it depends a little of the prop.

Quote:
I always thought that it should be at the same height. Is this true ?
Yes and no, depending on engine, boat, prop etc etc.
__________________
www.grandrib.se
Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 14:57   #6
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrov
Hi Danny;

You shouldnt have Ultra long, the 7m should have a extra long shaft or long shaft depending on how they cutted the transom.
I always install the engines a little bit higher and trying to find a good prop for this, offcourse it depends a little bit of how you use the boat.
12 cm sound maybe little high but it depends a little of the prop.



Yes and no, depending on engine, boat, prop etc etc.
Hold it !!

So we have:

a long one
a extra long one
and a ultra long one.

I didn't know ther was a extralong one in between !

How much higher would you reccomend the prop then?

I can't find a extra long on the suzukisite.
250 pk, 4-takt multipoint sequentiŽle, elektronisch geregelde brandstofinjectie
PK AAN DE SCHROEFAS:
250
CILINDERS/OPSTELLING:
V6
CILINDERINHOUD:
3.614 cm3
AANDRIJFASLENGTE:
UL: 635 mm
XXL: 762 mm

Dan.
__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 15:00   #7
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
Dan,

Make sure you have the correct shaft length according to the engine manufacturers specifications. We wrecked a Honda BF225 in less than 120 hours - caused by water ingress into the cylinders. The general consensus was that this was caused by having a short shaft instead of a long one.

Regards.

Ian.
Ian, Help me a bit. My english isn't that great.

What do you mean by: caused by water ingress. Did water get into the cilinder through the exhaust ?

Dan.
__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 15:23   #8
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 860
63,5cm is the extra long at the most manufacturer, i can se that suzuki has extra long as Ultra long.
__________________
www.grandrib.se
Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2005, 15:52   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
Ian, Help me a bit. My english isn't that great.

What do you mean by: caused by water ingress. Did water get into the cilinder through the exhaust ?

Dan.
Sorry Dan!

Water got in to the cylinders. We don't know how, but think it was through the exhaust. The engine was mounted too low to the water line.

Hope this helps.

Ian.
__________________
Brambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2005, 02:02   #10
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
Sorry Dan!

Water got in to the cylinders. We don't know how, but think it was through the exhaust. The engine was mounted too low to the water line.

Hope this helps.

Ian.
Yep , thanks Ian.
__________________

__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.