Old 24 August 2013, 17:47   #21

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
New 90 Etec seems to be about £400 dearer than a Mariner 90 opti. However the Evinrude also has to be fitted by a dealer for around another £500 whereas the Mariner can be self fit. Etec 75 is nearly a grand cheaper same weight and rumoured to kick out more than 75hp......
Suzuki DF90 is well over my budget, the as new second hand one I was offered was so "as new" it even cost the same.....
Very few Etec 90's on the second hand market, non less than 5 years. If these were as bad as some seem to suggest and so expensive to repair, wouldn't we see more on eBay as spares or repairs? If anybody has first hand experience of problems please post it here.
Optimax 90, they look huge, sound great and are cheaper, problem is the weight on an SR5.4 as someone else has said in the past "a lardy lump" bit unkind and usually in the same sentence as Yam90.....but what else do you do? I don't want to spend £3650 on a engine approaching it's 9th birthday when a couple of grand extra gets something new and 5 years warranty.
Anyway my old engine is running brilliantly so although it looks untidy on the outside and drinks large amounts of fuel, (think that might be down to me...;-)) I'm going to wait and see what Southampton boat show has to offer then decide!
Old 24 August 2013, 17:56   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
New 90 Etec seems to be about £400 dearer than a Mariner 90 opti. However the Evinrude also has to be fitted by a dealer for around another £500 whereas the Mariner can be self fit. Etec 75 is nearly a grand cheaper same weight and rumoured to kick out more than 75hp......
Suzuki DF90 is well over my budget, the as new second hand one I was offered was so "as new" it even cost the same.....
Very few Etec 90's on the second hand market, non less than 5 years. If these were as bad as some seem to suggest and so expensive to repair, wouldn't we see more on eBay as spares or repairs? If anybody has first hand experience of problems please post it here.
Optimax 90, they look huge, sound great and are cheaper, problem is the weight on an SR5.4 as someone else has said in the past "a lardy lump" bit unkind and usually in the same sentence as Yam90.....but what else do you do? I don't want to spend £3650 on a engine approaching it's 9th birthday when a couple of grand extra gets something new and 5 years warranty.
Anyway my old engine is running brilliantly so although it looks untidy on the outside and drinks large amounts of fuel, (think that might be down to me...;-)) I'm going to wait and see what Southampton boat show has to offer then decide!
The 75hp Etec has a reputation as a "strong" engine punching above its weight, whereas the 90 is reckoned to be a bit weedy for a 90hp, if it was my money I'd fit the 75, & that's coming from a bloke who likes to "Max t' osses"
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2013, 16:02   #23

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel52 View Post
???? Sorry need to explain.
I had a bad experience with them when I purchased a used DI several years ago, it got to the point that customer and dealer trust was broken. A good dealer would have never had let it break down that far in the first place, hence why I will never ever deal with them ever again. It might well have been a personality clash but still, I was the customer and was treated badly.

I can only recommend caution if dealing with them

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2013, 16:27   #24

Town: Ile de Re
Boat name: Re lax
Make: Piranha 6m
Engine: Evinrude 90 hp ETEC
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I had a bad experience with them when I purchased a used DI several years ago, it got to the point that customer and dealer trust was broken. A good dealer would have never had let it break down that far in the first place, hence why I will never ever deal with them ever again. It might well have been a personality clash but still, I was the customer and was treated badly.

Thanks for explaining. I have only had minor dealings with them as the engine was already fitted to the RIB when I purchased it. I am not promoting them as I do not have enough experience with them to do this.

I can only recommend caution if dealing with them
Thanks for explaining: The ETEC they fitted was already on the RIB when I purchased it so I do not really have much experience of their customer service and am not promoting them only saying that I thought they had some 2nd user ETECs in stock. (Actually just to about to start a new thread about swapping my ETEC 90 for a 115)
Old 25 August 2013, 16:53   #25

Town: Fareham
That's okay, but I do cringe every time I hear their name. I'm not slandering their name as if they were that bad they'd have gone out of business years ago, just giving my bad experience of them and suggesting people be on their guard if dealing with them in the future. Who knows, perhaps BRP had a word with them about their customer skills after my problems because they were the ones that helped me in the end.

I'll have a look at your other thread a bit later.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote