Old 06 July 2018, 16:55   #1

Town: Topsham
Length: 6m +
New Mercury Verado 300 vs Mercury 300 4 stroke vs Evinrude G2 300

I'd like to buy a new 300hp outboard to go on a 8m RIB to be used on the South Coast of Devon and Cornwall with occasional trips further afield

Mercury have just launched their new range of engines which makes the choice more difficult.

There is little comparative data on fuel economy or emissions like there would be for a car

I've narrowed down my options to

Mercury Verado 300
Mercury 4 Stroke 300
Evinrude G2 300

If you had to choose. Which of these three engines would you choose and why?
Old 06 July 2018, 18:33   #2

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
I’ve run verado’s over the last 10 years, 300 and 350’s, currently running 2018 350’s on my rib and have been extremely impressed with the lastest evolution of merc’s and as your aware the new mercury V6 and V8’s have just been released with glowing reports. Only feed back I’ve heard about the G2’s is bad, I personally know 3 outboard dealers who work with the evinrudes and they’ve all told me them same thing................avoid.
Old 06 July 2018, 18:48   #3

Thank you.

It seems the G2s use 20% less fuel than the verados and push a higher top speed.

What have been the issues you have heard?

The dealer in Torquay has the opposite experience to the one you relate. Verados use more fuel, need a lot of servicing while being too complicated. They are both mercury and evinrude dealers and the majority of torquay has gone to Evinrudes.

I remain agnostic and have no brand loyalty
Old 06 July 2018, 21:11   #4

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Give Adam a call at https://www.facebook.com/APMarineUK/ , he’ll give you an honest, first hand run down of the G2..... and it won’t be pretty!
Old 07 July 2018, 08:53   #5

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoll View Post
Thank you.

It seems the G2s use 20% less fuel than the verados and push a higher top speed.
Replaced my G1 250 on my Osprey 7.20 last year due to a gearbox failure (hit something) with a G2 250 H.O.
Can not be happier .
While the G1 reached only with the wind from the back in best case 1.4l/nm - this is with the G2 now the consumption in rough conditions .
Top speed increased by 5kn .
In a flat sea I can cruise with 1l/nm .
Dublin - Belfast in June was 1.1l/nm .
I think everybody will promote those engines he sells or he runs ..
Old 07 July 2018, 21:03   #6

Thank you. Helpful comments
Old 07 July 2018, 21:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Give Adam a call at https://www.facebook.com/APMarineUK/ , he’ll give you an honest, first hand run down of the G2..... and it won’t be pretty!
I will thank you
Old 08 July 2018, 09:41   #8

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Harbinger
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 200
MMSI: 232 013 330
I’d be guided by your choice of local dealer - if you have a problem you need someone who is willing and able to fix it. Which might rule out the Verado. For what it’s worth, I had a similar dilemma last year (Verado 200 or G2). Neither of my usual go-to dealers (Falmouth) will service the Verado - I think because of the supercharger. But, Rock Marine, (excellent btw) have no issues. In the end I went with the Mercury and love it. 0-40 in no time. It’s my first “big” engine but friends with vastly more experience tell me it is vey quick off the mark.
Old 05 November 2018, 05:26   #9

Town: Singapore
Make: Zodiac Hurricane1100
Engine: OB
All the experience I have had with both the Evinrude and Mercs have been very positive. The reduced weight in the 2-stroke Evinrude gives it the performance edge without a doubt.
Old 05 November 2018, 13:53   #10

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
According to "Boating Word" magazine the Verado along with the Optimax range are to be phased out.

I'm guessing the manufacturing cost with the inclusion of the supercharger isnt leaving the margin they're looking for.

From a totally biased point of view I've been running a 4 Stroke 150 Merc since March and it's got about 120hrs on it now....absolutely love it. Quieter than the Honda was (and the Honda wasn't bad) faultless, bags of torque and almost unbelievable fuel economy.....
Old 05 November 2018, 13:58   #11

Only on the 225 and below, I think.

In my line of work these days its all about "how many horses can we nail on the back of this thing without something breaking?" So 200HP engines are not something I deal with regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
According to "Boating Word" magazine the Verado along with the Optimax range are to be phased out.

I'm guessing the manufacturing cost with the inclusion of the supercharger isnt leaving the margin they're looking for.

From a totally biased point of view I've been running a 4 Stroke 150 Merc since March and it's got about 120hrs on it now....absolutely love it. Quieter than the Honda was (and the Honda wasn't bad) faultless, bags of torque and almost unbelievable fuel economy.....
Old 05 November 2018, 15:18   #12

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by gileszmilpro View Post
............In my line of work these days its all about "how many horses can we nail on the back of this thing without something breaking?" So 200HP engines are not something I deal with regularly..............

"Vice" will catch you sooner or later...
Old 05 November 2018, 15:24   #13

the name verado is staying but the supercharger is not long term if you read what some merc folks are saying.

i would need to double check but i think only the 350 and 400 is supercharged now in the current verado range and both of those are for the chop in the not too distant, some are saying a V10 is coming to get upto 500hp to compete for the big transom market in USA.

if this was me i'd get the merc v8 for 300hp.
Old 05 November 2018, 15:36   #14

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:

Got to agree with LT I have had a Merc 150 hp 4 st on for three years replaced my Mariner V6 150 smoker and I have been most impressed with the performance and torque. Great engine.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2018, 23:33   #15

https://www.bundespolizei.de/Web/DE/...dung_node.html

3rd picture down. Some of our toys.

Quote:
"Vice" will catch you sooner or later...
Old 06 November 2018, 04:57   #16

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by gileszmilpro View Post
GSG9- Some of our toys
GSG9 - No budget for outboards ? 😁
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181106-084231_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	127588  
Old 26 December 2018, 21:08   #17

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
The Verado 300hp is no longer available, you can now only by the verado ( supercharged version) in 350/400hp. The V8 is the only 300hp Mercury. How ever the demand is so high for this engine you probably won’t get one until May or June next year!
Old 30 June 2019, 19:11   #18

Conclusion for me

As a personal conclusion to this discussion. I ended up buying both an Evinrude G2 300 and an Axopar 28 AC - so not technically relevant to this forum I appreciate. That said, a number of rib owners are switching to cabined Axopar's because they are all weather and all year boats that can have a heater and so still provide fun in the winter as well as summer. So maybe a bit relevant here.

https://www.axopar.fi/range/axopar-28-cabin/

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mbCjKUEcaX9iihf58

But I thought i would post now that i have done 1,700 nautical miles and over 100 hours. I also didn't find anywhere in one place the mix of facts that I will now write.

The G2 300 engine has performed well and without fault so far - the only difficult issue has been the four blade propeller which propels her forward very well - but does not thrust in reverse very well at all - but that i understand is an issue with most four blade propellers. Much of the steering mechanism is within the engine - so you have to add other brands engine weight to the weight of their steering mechanisms to get the true set up weight.

I found it very difficult to get good data on the various engines to make a good comparison. I was put off Yamaha's 300+ engines by some issues on corrosion and flywheels which is well documented elsewhere. I was put off by the weight of the Suzuki products at this Hp. There are few if any really bad outboards now - every brand produces good products and so you have to decide what is important to you in making your choice.

My focus was fuel efficiency, emissions and weight.

The following analysis was the most helpful thing i found online

Mercury VERADO 350 v. Evinrude E-TEC G2 300 - Moderated Discussion Areas

My experience is the following fuel burns at different rpms and speeds

5,150 revs - 32 knots - 63 LPH
5,350 revs - 36 knots - 75 LPH
5,800 revs - 41 knots - 95 LPH

on a boat that weighs 2.8 tonnes

A friend said an old style 300 Verado, flat out would use 120 litres per hour.

Overall i have been happy with the engine.

I think the new V8 Mercury engines have better fuel economy (10%) than the old engines and I think they would also be easier and cheaper to service without superchargers in them.

With a partner who has just completed a Phd in environmental economics - a power boat of any sort was unpopular. What does seem clear is that the fuel injection system of the Evinrudes (Direct injection) is superior to that of all the current four strokes, which use a less precise method of fuel injection which is not direct in to the cylinders. It's more precise capability to put exactly the fuel that is needed in to the cylinders for the revs that have been chosen on the throttle and so use less fuel at many RPMs. This is particularly impressive at low revs. They also produce significantly less emissions (I am talking 4 times less) than an equivalent 4 stroke. (this is G2 technology not G1 tech - though G1 was still a good tech)

I don't know why emissions data is not available like it would be for cars. It is overall terrible in comparison to car engines because no car engine would be run regularly and for long periods at 4,500 to 6,000 revs.... But i would still like to see it

What this means for me is that if i put the boat just in gear, I use 1.3 litres an hour of fuel. I can't find any other 300 hp engine that can close to that. There are some lakes in the USA that only allow Evinrude DI technology because the emissions are so much better than their 4 stroke equivalent.

Flat out i use perhaps 10-20% less fuel than an equivalent four stroke. However between 4,500 and 5,500 the gap is not that large - so while emissions are lower, the fuel economy is equivalent or at least not so big a gap at cruising speeds.

The four stroke engine makers can catch up by incorporating just the same tech in to their engines, but for now they have not. I think the reason BRP have done the work is because their tech goes in to aircraft, ski doos, quad bikes etc...

So overall I got a G2 300 because

1. Emissions and fuel economy appeared factually better than the competition. I think you can always argue a bit on economy - but emissions are certainly hugely better.
2. I have a full ten year parts and labour warranty on the engine
3. The engine with steering is lighter in weight than the competition and the steering is a super neat install on the transom
4. I get two stroke torque and response
5. Servicing is only every three years or 500 hours
6. You can winterise and wake up the boat yourself without help.

but

1. At idle the engine is noisier than a four stroke. I think overall the evinrudes are nosier at almost every rev range than a four stroke. It is just more noticeable at lower rev ranges.
2. Buying two stroke engine oil and filling up the engine with a litre for every 100 litres of fuel is a real cost at £45 per 3.75litre canister.

1,700 miles at about 2 litres a nautical mile is an embarrassing amount of fuel to have used in a few months. But that would be the same with any equivalent boat.
Old 30 June 2019, 21:57   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
The Axopar is certainly attractive - I'd consider one for leisure use but the lack of a meaningful transom would put me off (in this sea area) - maybe an XS.

Your displacement is very similar to mine at 2.8 tons. I have 370hp on tap, returning better economy figures in L/Nm, but in diesel...

...my partner couldn't give a sh1t!
Old 30 June 2019, 22:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The Axopar is certainly attractive - I'd consider one for leisure use but the lack of a meaningful transom would put me off (in this sea area) - maybe an XS.

Your displacement is very similar to mine at 2.8 tons. I have 370hp on tap, returning better economy figures in L/Nm, but in diesel...

...my partner couldn't give a sh1t!
Compared to a Redbay, an Axopar is a pretty light weight performer for your sea area.

Tags
evinrude, g2-300