Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 March 2011, 03:03   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: dundee
Boat name: harika
Make: compass
Length: under 3m
Engine: mariner 4 hp 2 strok
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 31
need your expert advice

hi again
am about to purchase ,,4 hp two stroke , seen better day,s,s but runs fine just needs clean , my concern,s are the throttle twistgrip and the steering seem very tight. althought they operate with quite a bit of muscle ,any tip,s to put right . i think this is just lack of use for a while , and engine runs perfect apart from these point,s with a clean [surface muck ,this would come up like [new] have to decide , soon ,so any advice from you guy,s is most welcome ,would i need to be mechanic to get grease into these seized parts or is this a diy possibility
thanks in advance for any advice ,forthcoming and for taking time to read this
never be ashamed to show ignorance if oppurtunity to gain knowledge ..
harry.
__________________

__________________
harryboy22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 03:48   #2
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboy22002 View Post
hi again
am about to purchase ,,4 hp two stroke , seen better day,s,s but runs fine just needs clean , my concern,s are the throttle twistgrip and the steering seem very tight. althought they operate with quite a bit of muscle ,any tip,s to put right . i think this is just lack of use for a while , and engine runs perfect apart from these point,s with a clean [surface muck ,this would come up like [new] have to decide , soon ,so any advice from you guy,s is most welcome ,would i need to be mechanic to get grease into these seized parts or is this a diy possibility
thanks in advance for any advice ,forthcoming and for taking time to read this
never be ashamed to show ignorance if oppurtunity to gain knowledge ..
harry.
you should be able to free them up yourself, there will be a grease nipple on the pivot, pump some new stuff through it and it should work loose, your twist grip, is it a long shaft with a cog on the end, look under the arm to see if you can spray some freeing agent into the casting
__________________

__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 04:22   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: dundee
Boat name: harika
Make: compass
Length: under 3m
Engine: mariner 4 hp 2 strok
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 31
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
you should be able to free them up yourself, there will be a grease nipple on the pivot, pump some new stuff through it and it should work loose, your twist grip, is it a long shaft with a cog on the end, look under the arm to see if you can spray some freeing agent into the casting
thank,s for your time and reply ,will give it a go
harry.
__________________
harryboy22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 04:25   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Some throttle twist grips have a friction screw. Perhaps this needs loosening slightly.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 11:51   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
As Erin said. Some people like to be able to twist to a throttle setting and release, and maintain that setting. I prefer to have the motor return to idle (or close to it) if the pilot releases the throttle, but that's a personal thing (current boat, with remote controls, doesn't do that.) Throttle friction setting is usually a largish knob near the twist grip.

Other than that, it's usually a cam driving a short length of cable. Should be fairly straightforward to lube it up.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2011, 09:55   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: dundee
Boat name: harika
Make: compass
Length: under 3m
Engine: mariner 4 hp 2 strok
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
As Erin said. Some people like to be able to twist to a throttle setting and release, and maintain that setting. I prefer to have the motor return to idle (or close to it) if the pilot releases the throttle, but that's a personal thing (current boat, with remote controls, doesn't do that.) Throttle friction setting is usually a largish knob near the twist grip.

Other than that, it's usually a cam driving a short length of cable. Should be fairly straightforward to lube it up.

jky
hi mate .
got got a phone call, from ?? - say,s if he needs to pump bit of grease into steering price will go from£150 -200 \\\?????? dont think grease is that expensive am i just being difficult or what you think ??.
-i did not ask for a full service , just a pump of grease ,to see if it helped...
__________________
harryboy22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2011, 10:06   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
why dont you purchase a grease gun and any make of marine grease (not a runny grease) i am thinking Quicksilver 2-4-C or eqivalent and grease it yourself, buy a service manual that will make your job a lot easier.
regards
Alan
__________________
uncle al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2011, 10:09   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
grease

the definition of an expert is, ex is a has been , and a spert is a drip under preasure beware of experts
__________________
uncle al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2011, 11:34   #9
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
In the US court system, an "expert" is defined as "someone who knows more about a subject than the average person". Hardly awe inspiring.
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2011, 14:11   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
my version is the joke version i never could take life seriously and now i have retired and off the spanners after forty odd years life is still a big joke.
regards
Alan
__________________

__________________
uncle al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.