Old 30 March 2011, 07:03   #1

Town: dundee
Boat name: harika
Make: compass
Length: under 3m
Engine: mariner 4 hp 2 strok
need your expert advice

hi again
am about to purchase ,,4 hp two stroke , seen better day,s,s but runs fine just needs clean , my concern,s are the throttle twistgrip and the steering seem very tight. althought they operate with quite a bit of muscle ,any tip,s to put right . i think this is just lack of use for a while , and engine runs perfect apart from these point,s with a clean [surface muck ,this would come up like [new] have to decide , soon ,so any advice from you guy,s is most welcome ,would i need to be mechanic to get grease into these seized parts or is this a diy possibility
thanks in advance for any advice ,forthcoming and for taking time to read this
never be ashamed to show ignorance if oppurtunity to gain knowledge ..
harry.
Old 30 March 2011, 07:48   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboy22002 View Post
hi again
am about to purchase ,,4 hp two stroke , seen better day,s,s but runs fine just needs clean , my concern,s are the throttle twistgrip and the steering seem very tight. althought they operate with quite a bit of muscle ,any tip,s to put right . i think this is just lack of use for a while , and engine runs perfect apart from these point,s with a clean [surface muck ,this would come up like [new] have to decide , soon ,so any advice from you guy,s is most welcome ,would i need to be mechanic to get grease into these seized parts or is this a diy possibility
thanks in advance for any advice ,forthcoming and for taking time to read this
never be ashamed to show ignorance if oppurtunity to gain knowledge ..
harry.
you should be able to free them up yourself, there will be a grease nipple on the pivot, pump some new stuff through it and it should work loose, your twist grip, is it a long shaft with a cog on the end, look under the arm to see if you can spray some freeing agent into the casting
Old 30 March 2011, 08:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
you should be able to free them up yourself, there will be a grease nipple on the pivot, pump some new stuff through it and it should work loose, your twist grip, is it a long shaft with a cog on the end, look under the arm to see if you can spray some freeing agent into the casting
thank,s for your time and reply ,will give it a go
harry.
Old 30 March 2011, 08:25   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Some throttle twist grips have a friction screw. Perhaps this needs loosening slightly.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 15:51   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
As Erin said. Some people like to be able to twist to a throttle setting and release, and maintain that setting. I prefer to have the motor return to idle (or close to it) if the pilot releases the throttle, but that's a personal thing (current boat, with remote controls, doesn't do that.) Throttle friction setting is usually a largish knob near the twist grip.

Other than that, it's usually a cam driving a short length of cable. Should be fairly straightforward to lube it up.

jky
Old 31 March 2011, 13:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
As Erin said. Some people like to be able to twist to a throttle setting and release, and maintain that setting. I prefer to have the motor return to idle (or close to it) if the pilot releases the throttle, but that's a personal thing (current boat, with remote controls, doesn't do that.) Throttle friction setting is usually a largish knob near the twist grip.

Other than that, it's usually a cam driving a short length of cable. Should be fairly straightforward to lube it up.

jky
hi mate .
got got a phone call, from ?? - say,s if he needs to pump bit of grease into steering price will go from£150 -200 \\\?????? dont think grease is that expensive am i just being difficult or what you think ??.
-i did not ask for a full service , just a pump of grease ,to see if it helped...
Old 31 March 2011, 14:06   #7

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
why dont you purchase a grease gun and any make of marine grease (not a runny grease) i am thinking Quicksilver 2-4-C or eqivalent and grease it yourself, buy a service manual that will make your job a lot easier.
regards
Alan
Old 31 March 2011, 14:09   #8

grease

the definition of an expert is, ex is a has been , and a spert is a drip under preasure beware of experts
Old 31 March 2011, 15:34   #9

Town: Oakland CA
In the US court system, an "expert" is defined as "someone who knows more about a subject than the average person". Hardly awe inspiring.
Old 31 March 2011, 18:11   #10

my version is the joke version i never could take life seriously and now i have retired and off the spanners after forty odd years life is still a big joke.
regards
Alan
Old 01 April 2011, 04:37   #11

grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
why dont you purchase a grease gun and any make of marine grease (not a runny grease) i am thinking Quicksilver 2-4-C or eqivalent and grease it yourself, buy a service manual that will make your job a lot easier.
regards
Alan
hi mate
hear what you are saying , problem is,? what happen,s if it wont take any grease? and needs to be taken apart ,that,s maybe to much for me.. aint no mechanic and dont know what,s inside that rack.
harry
Old 01 April 2011, 07:43   #12

Quote:
hi mate
hear what you are saying , problem is,? what happen,s if it wont take any grease? and needs to be taken apart ,that,s maybe to much for me.. aint no mechanic and dont know what,s inside that rack.
harry
this is a choice you have to make yourself, the seller is probaly just telling you politely, make youre bloody mind up and stop wasting his time, if you think it's cheap, buy it, if you think it's dodgey, move on
Old 01 April 2011, 09:07   #13

wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
this is a choice you have to make yourself, the seller is probaly just telling you politely, make youre bloody mind up and stop wasting his time, if you think it's cheap, buy it, if you think it's dodgey, move on
point taken
however i was only looking for a liitle advice , incidentally i am not wasting this person,s time , as he has stated [it,s here if i want it ] thought i would have got a little better advise from an expert like yourself other than ,,make your bloody mind up and stop [wasting] his time ?? hope i dont waste your bloody time by forcing you to reply ..
i , thank you for your time in reply,ing previously to my post .
.. i also take on board your comment,s i just thought i would get some constructive comment,s not a slap on the wrist.. 64 year old disabled bad -boy....
harry.
Old 01 April 2011, 11:45   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
point taken
however i was only looking for a liitle advice , incidentally i am not wasting this person,s time , as he has stated [it,s here if i want it ] thought i would have got a little better advise from an expert like yourself other than ,,make your bloody mind up and stop [wasting] his time ?? hope i dont waste your bloody time by forcing you to reply ..
.. i also take on board your comment,s i just thought i would get some constructive comment,s not a slap on the wrist.. 64 year old disabled bad -boy....
harry.
Don't be so bloody temperamental.

It sounds like the guy has priced the engine based on the current condition it is in; if he fixes the problem with some grease then its then worth more (not just to you but to anyone else who might be interested) - the cost of the "repair" is irrelevant, its the condition of the engine and the relative risk you might be taking on.

If he has a shortage of buyers at the asking price then he might go out the way for one who's asking for a niggle fixed first - but very roughly it sounds like the sort of price old not quite perfect condition 4HP motors go for; so he can flog it elsewhere without having to get his hands dirty.
Old 01 April 2011, 12:10   #15

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
The steering 'friction screw' may be set a little stiff..... engine might be perfect all round..... Yes, and don't respond to stick pokers again.....lol...
Old 01 April 2011, 12:15   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsy View Post
Yes, and don't respond to stick pokers again.....lol...
No no! I think we should take both their walking sticks away and let them have at it - it's been quiet on here lately...
Old 01 April 2011, 12:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Don't be so bloody temperamental.

It sounds like the guy has priced the engine based on the current condition it is in; if he fixes the problem with some grease then its then worth more (not just to you but to anyone else who might be interested) - the cost of the "repair" is irrelevant, its the condition of the engine and the relative risk you might be taking on.

If he has a shortage of buyers at the asking price then he might go out the way for one who's asking for a niggle fixed first - but very roughly it sounds like the sort of price old not quite perfect condition 4HP motors go for; so he can flog it elsewhere without having to get his hands dirty.
hi starship enterprise.... think you should read post,s again ,, i am certainlly not tempramental ,, as you say , i was only looking for advise and find it strange you find this is a niggle.... maybe to an expert as yourself ,,? but to a newbie like me -night -and day.. however , i think i am speaking to masell. here and i will not waste any more of your time topic ended as far as i am concerned thank you all for your input,s and hope no of you have been offended by my posts i really mean no offence to anyone hope you all have a good day.
harry.
Old 01 April 2011, 12:43   #18

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
No no! I think we should take both their walking sticks away and let them have at it - it's been quiet on here lately...
best one yet.............
Old 01 April 2011, 14:43   #19

Quote:
point taken
harry.
i suggest you read my post again, i didn't imply that you were wasting my time but maybe that's what the seller may have been thinking, the rest of the post was sound advice, buy it or not, no one else could give you better advice without looking at it, and who's 64 and disabled, i hope you don't mean me as you're sadly mistaken
Old 01 April 2011, 15:42   #20

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
So many jokes about being 64 and disabled that could be made , but I'll stick to the point....

I'd buy for the £150 - the mechanics are simple on a small engine & a bit of a considered look and I am sure you will soon see this. This would also give you confidence should it go wrong while you are out ...

I'd also expect if you know anyone mechanically minded (car mechanic, keen DIYer) they will have a grease gun and for nothing or a pint will give it a few pumps - if it doesnt get fixed flog it on at no loss or even a small profit to someone who will happily take it apart ( as much as needed consdiering they are simple) - fix it & use it (or flog it on - again for a small profit ) .

As Biff said - he probably just wants shot of it either way ........