Old 26 July 2016, 08:26   #1

Town: UK
Length: 8m +
Narrowing engine selection for new 8m plus RIB

Afternoon all.

It's that perennial decision- what engine setup do I go for? I'm looking at picking up a larger RIB- currently using a 6 metre XS in conjunction with a 150 Honda. I've been very happy with the economy, performance and reliability. Perhaps a little less happy with the initial price of the engine, but then it seems churlish to put a price on the trouble-free boating she has given us.

So I'm now considering stepping up to a larger RIB, perhaps an 8.4 Redbay. My initial thoughts have been to equipping her with twin engines, ranging from two Honda 135's up to twin 200s. I'd like a good cruising speed for relaxed transits, but also a bit of performance to be there on tap for when I have guests onboard who might want a bit of excitement. As we all do, I'd like as much performance as possible while at the same time achieving as much economy as possible. Not asking for much then!

I'd be delighted to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences with any of these set ups, or anything I haven't thought of to aid me in the decision making process. I should say that I'm not keen on Suzukis due to a dispute with the local dealer some time ago- I wouldn't want to have to deal with him again

Thanks in advance.

Old 26 July 2016, 08:42   #2

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
I would look at a pair of merc 150s as the suzuki 200a isn't an option for you if you want twins.

However, last year when I was looking for a redbay they would not sell me one without suzuki engine with a new build, I was forced into a suzuki due to the way their type approval works there. I would need to dig the email out to confirm wording.

They also refused to sell me Hull only due to the above, things may well have changed or who I was dealing with didn't have a clue....i bought a ribcraft so potentially they lost out either way.

Old 26 July 2016, 08:59   #3

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Got to be some Evinrude E-TEC G2 200 H.O
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 09:52   #4

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post

However, last year when I was looking for a redbay they would not sell me one without suzuki engine with a new build, I was forced into a suzuki due to the way their type approval works there. I would need to dig the email out to confirm wording.

They also refused to sell me Hull only due to the above, things may well have changed or who I was dealing with didn't have a clue....i bought a ribcraft so potentially they lost out either way.

Maybe that's why the James Hunt's never replied to my email asking for a price and delivery on a 6.1m hull without an engine ......
Old 26 July 2016, 10:09   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Inboard diesel?

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 10:10   #6

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
I have never seen an outboard redbay without a suzuki in real life so this may be the normal or as I said, it could be things have changed so if I wanted a redbay I would 100% phone and ask if you have engine options rather than rely on my info which is at best over a year old.

BTW, I am sure redbay will have ribs out there without suzuki on them but I have never seen one is all, i am sure a Google would fix that.
Old 26 July 2016, 10:10   #7

Quote:

That's very interesting Dubrus, I can certainly see why they didn't get your business! I don't imagine there's too many punters who'd be keen to be given these type of strictures when they're on the cusp of dropping the sort of cash we're talking about here!
Old 26 July 2016, 10:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
Got to be some Evinrude E-TEC G2 200 H.O
Yeah these are on the radar Steve. I've just heard a lot of horror stories about Evinrudes over the years (admittedly this seems to be less the case nowadays) and I have some residual anxiety about them for this reason.
Old 26 July 2016, 10:16   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
I have never seen an outboard redbay without a suzuki in real life so this may be the normal or as I said, it could be things have changed so if I wanted a redbay I would 100% phone and ask if you have engine options rather than rely on my info which is at best over a year old.

BTW, I am sure redbay will have ribs out there without suzuki on them but I have never seen one is all, i am sure a Google would fix that.
They offered to put a Yam on mine as far as I remember.
Old 26 July 2016, 10:31   #10

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350sci x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
Yeah these are on the radar Steve. I've just heard a lot of horror stories about Evinrudes over the years (admittedly this seems to be less the case nowadays) and I have some residual anxiety about them for this reason.
The new G2's can (do) have issues, certainly do your homework before you commit to any brand, good luck!

Tags
rib