Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 July 2016, 13:35   #21
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,862
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I read of people having issues refining the set up on well known brands - doesn't the manufacturer sea trial things any more?
Seatrial: Does it float, reasonably level? Does the engine run? Does the boat come on the plane and perform turns reasonably? Do the electrics work? Is top speed within normal parameters? Yes? Done!

You fit yer own furry dice and antenna ball
__________________

__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 13:44   #22
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,991
what do you want for 40k plus....jam on it!
__________________

__________________
dubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 14:46   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: UK
Length: 8m +
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 12
I must admit, when I happened to hear a local RIB go past with twin G2 200's on the back, the noise they make was certainly alluring. The chap swears by the performance of them as well, seems to find the 200's the equal of previous larger HP twin setups he's run. I think the cowling is an acquired taste for some but I'm ambivalent about that personally. It's performance which *ahem* floats my boat.
__________________
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 15:17   #24
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Seatrial: Does it float, reasonably level? Does the engine run? Does the boat come on the plane and perform turns reasonably? Do the electrics work? Is top speed within normal parameters? Yes? Done!

You fit yer own furry dice and antenna ball
I'd want a good choice of prop and engine height - much easier to do if you've fitted the same engine to the same boat before.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 14:12   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,253
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'd want a good choice of prop and engine height - much easier to do if you've fitted the same engine to the same boat before.
When you ( the customer) change/choose things like Consul/Type/size and Positioning ....Seating layouts/type..Aframes..Splash wells..
...Twin Single engine set ups...type weight ...inc Diesel ect ect on a bespoke CUSTOM built RIB there really isn't really a 100% standard set up...and that's before you get into part built or Home Rigged Boats....hence ( if you are discerning and want the best from your RIB)... tweeking
IMO It really pays if you can...(and who'd spend 40k+ And up..without it!) to get out and try not only the Type and size (+Manufacturer) of RIB but also the power plant and rough layout that suits your needs...preferably in varying weather conditions..
__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 14:33   #26
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,480
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
When you ( the customer) change/choose things like Consul/Type/size and Positioning ....Seating layouts/type..Aframes..Splash wells..
...Twin Single engine set ups...type weight ...inc Diesel ect ect on a bespoke CUSTOM built RIB there really isn't really a 100% standard set up...and that's before you get into part built or Home Rigged Boats....hence ( if you are discerning and want the best from your RIB)... tweeking
IMO It really pays if you can...(and who'd spend 40k+ And up..without it!) to get out and try not only the Type and size (+Manufacturer) of RIB but also the power plant and rough layout that suits your needs...preferably in varying weather conditions..

I agree with Maxi, when you go bespoke, the combinations are infinite. The size/position of underfloor fuel tanks, console, seating etc all have a subtle but discernible affect on the handling. My current boat was delivered with the standard setup for that hull, which at the end of the day worked, but not to my liking. After a season of tweaking & adjustment, I'm getting there, but to me, that's half the fun. I know what I want & expect, the guy who builds the boat can't read my mind.


Lions led by donkeys
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 14:57   #27
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I should have mentioned that I was in the workshop last Thursday - they were doing the finishing touches to a 9.5m with twin ETEC G2 300s.

I believe the performance was up there with the Verados on sister craft.

That's interesting I was having a close look at a rib in Ibiza last week with a pair of G2 300s and they had a lot of corrosion on the bolts and tilt mechanism 😳 & the engineers recon there to complex
Most popular seemed to be Suzuki & Honda with a few Verados
__________________
B S Wing Man Yorkshire Division
( Gods Own Country )
B.I.O.C member
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:38   #28
Member
 
AMac's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Celtic Wanderer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6, Honda
MMSI: 235087784
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 205
Narrowing engine selection for new 8m plus RIB

I know a dealer with a brand new 300 verado going cheap if anyone's interested
__________________

__________________
AMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.