Old 26 July 2016, 18:35   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I read of people having issues refining the set up on well known brands - doesn't the manufacturer sea trial things any more?
Seatrial: Does it float, reasonably level? Does the engine run? Does the boat come on the plane and perform turns reasonably? Do the electrics work? Is top speed within normal parameters? Yes? Done!

You fit yer own furry dice and antenna ball
Old 26 July 2016, 18:44   #22

what do you want for 40k plus....jam on it!
Old 26 July 2016, 19:46   #23

Town: UK
Length: 8m +
I must admit, when I happened to hear a local RIB go past with twin G2 200's on the back, the noise they make was certainly alluring. The chap swears by the performance of them as well, seems to find the 200's the equal of previous larger HP twin setups he's run. I think the cowling is an acquired taste for some but I'm ambivalent about that personally. It's performance which *ahem* floats my boat.
Old 26 July 2016, 20:17   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Seatrial: Does it float, reasonably level? Does the engine run? Does the boat come on the plane and perform turns reasonably? Do the electrics work? Is top speed within normal parameters? Yes? Done!

You fit yer own furry dice and antenna ball
I'd want a good choice of prop and engine height - much easier to do if you've fitted the same engine to the same boat before.
Old 27 July 2016, 19:12   #25

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'd want a good choice of prop and engine height - much easier to do if you've fitted the same engine to the same boat before.
When you ( the customer) change/choose things like Consul/Type/size and Positioning ....Seating layouts/type..Aframes..Splash wells..
...Twin Single engine set ups...type weight ...inc Diesel ect ect on a bespoke CUSTOM built RIB there really isn't really a 100% standard set up...and that's before you get into part built or Home Rigged Boats....hence ( if you are discerning and want the best from your RIB)... tweeking
IMO It really pays if you can...(and who'd spend £40k+ And up..without it!) to get out and try not only the Type and size (+Manufacturer) of RIB but also the power plant and rough layout that suits your needs...preferably in varying weather conditions..

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 19:33   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
When you ( the customer) change/choose things like Consul/Type/size and Positioning ....Seating layouts/type..Aframes..Splash wells..
...Twin Single engine set ups...type weight ...inc Diesel ect ect on a bespoke CUSTOM built RIB there really isn't really a 100% standard set up...and that's before you get into part built or Home Rigged Boats....hence ( if you are discerning and want the best from your RIB)... tweeking
IMO It really pays if you can...(and who'd spend £40k+ And up..without it!) to get out and try not only the Type and size (+Manufacturer) of RIB but also the power plant and rough layout that suits your needs...preferably in varying weather conditions..

I agree with Maxi, when you go bespoke, the combinations are infinite. The size/position of underfloor fuel tanks, console, seating etc all have a subtle but discernible affect on the handling. My current boat was delivered with the standard setup for that hull, which at the end of the day worked, but not to my liking. After a season of tweaking & adjustment, I'm getting there, but to me, that's half the fun. I know what I want & expect, the guy who builds the boat can't read my mind.

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 19:57   #27

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I should have mentioned that I was in the workshop last Thursday - they were doing the finishing touches to a 9.5m with twin ETEC G2 300s.

I believe the performance was up there with the Verados on sister craft.

That's interesting I was having a close look at a rib in Ibiza last week with a pair of G2 300s and they had a lot of corrosion on the bolts and tilt mechanism 😳 & the engineers recon there to complex
Most popular seemed to be Suzuki & Honda with a few Verados
Old 31 July 2016, 16:38   #28

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Celtic Wanderer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6, Honda
MMSI: 235087784
Narrowing engine selection for new 8m plus RIB

I know a dealer with a brand new 300 verado going cheap if anyone's interested

Tags
rib