Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 28 January 2015, 02:27   #1

Town: Chicago
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Mounting & Dismounting Outboards by Hand

I've been eyeing the 12'6" SeaBright 380P inflatable a lot the past couple of weeks, however I'm stuck on deciding which engine I want. I know I could easily lift a modern 9.9hp Mercurcy or 2-stroke 15hp Mercury, since they're both around 80lbs. However, the craft is actually rated for a 20HP engine. Both 2-stroke and 4-stroke 20HP engines weigh 110lbs, which gives me some pause because I will have to be lifting the engine off the cart, into my trunk, out of the trunk, onto the boat, and then the reverse of that process each time I go to use the boat. Nevermind the fact that the boat itself is 100lbs and I'll have to be lifting that in and out of my car trunk as well...

Though, the increase in weight from a 9.9 to 20 Merc is only 30lbs. I have no experience in using small outboards, and don't know if the gain in performance is worth the weight increase. I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone has experience lifting and mounting these 15/20HP 4-strokes, and how they've fared doing it. It's not like I'd be doing this daily, maybe 4 times a month, and moving the motor a maximum of 10 feet each time I'd lift it up alone by hand. Any comments are welcome.
Old 28 January 2015, 03:17   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Re-read this thread.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-s...sib-62208.html

Much of it depends on your own strength. What I might consider heavy, might be light to another person and vice versa. Remember engines are awkward to move around. It is easy to have them slip! Best recommendation is go to the dealer and pick them up, then decide.
Old 28 January 2015, 06:45   #3

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Im 60 years old and although reasonably fit..I wouldn’t consider myself as a weight lifter. However I have no problem moving my 52kg two stroke engine across the shore on a sack trolley.

I secure the outboard to the trolley with the engine mounts pointing away from the trolley as in the photo. All I do is push the trolley into a foot of water. Reverse the floating boat transom against the engine mounts and push the boat down and under the brackets. Job done..and I have never lifted the weight of the engine once. I do the reverse to recover the engine.

I have an estate type back on my vehicle that doesn’t have a lip to lift the engine over to put it in the car. The trolley handles are lowered onto the rear of the car floor.. then I lift and slide the engine into the vehicle. I guess Im only lifting around 25kg doing it this way as the trolley handles take a good part of the weight.

This method is only suitable for two strokes as they can be transported in any position.. not like a four stroke which needs to be placed on a certain side. You also have to have an estate type boot on the car.. so it slides in.

My brain is stronger than my brawn... so a 25hp engine at 52kg is not a problem for me. If you have a two stroke and a trunk without a lip to lift the engine over.. try this way..its easy.

I can only just lift the engine ... if required ... but I couldn’t carry it far or lean over a car to get it out.

Old 28 January 2015, 15:29   #4

Gurnard,

I am trying to picture this in my head, but I cannot. This isn't something I could get away with anyway, because I would then have to lift both the cart and motor into my trunk at the same time.
Old 28 January 2015, 16:32   #5

I don’t have any other photos of the engine in a foot of water while I pull the floating SIB back and under the mounting clamps..but I have another photo if sliding the engine and trolley into the car.

You need a trunk without a lip ...so it just slides in if that makes sense. It wont help if you have to lift the whole lot into the vehicle to put it in the trunk.

You will find a big difference between a 10 Hp and a 20Hp in performance..but I would not recommend lifting an engine of 50kg or so .. I fear you will soon loose interest in the boat if you try. But you might be ok.. ? as Peter mention..go to your local dealer and try lifting a few.
Old 28 January 2015, 19:19   #6

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I went from a cracking 25hp Yamaha to an adequate 15hp mercury because I had to lift the engine in and out of a landrover freelander back seat on my own and im fairly strong but it was going to do my back in so a more sedate pace it is
Old 29 January 2015, 04:30   #7

I was actually able to track down a 2-stroke 15 today by sheer luck. It's a very clean looking 1999 Mercury. Hopefully that will move me at a pretty fast pace. What prop should I be pairing it with for an inflatable?
Old 29 January 2015, 07:52   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
good set up that gurnard.
i suppose if you had wheels at the handle end as well it would be even easier something like casters fitting up the tube ends that could be removed just by pulling out for transportation purposes
Old 29 January 2015, 13:52   #9

Hi Jeff..I use a big sheet of ply in the bottom of the car now so it slides up and down very easy.

I will tell a funny story about using this method..and it happened on the very same shore as the top photo. The tide was full out but just starting on the flood. Its easy to pull the sack trolley backwards over the seaweed and stones.. not so easy pushing it.

I had just got the engine off the SIB and was pulling it up from the waters edge when I slipped..or tripped over the seaweed or a stone. I fell backwards and the trolley plus engine landed on top .. knocking the wind out of me. I lay for a couple of minutes pinned to the beach with the sack trolley handles either side of my stomach..trying to regain breath.. then I had a sudden panic attack as the tide was lapping my feet and I couldn’t get out from under the engine.

Fortunately once I got my breath back..I squirmed onto my feet again...saved from a drowning on land.

Yup 25Hp engines are brutes to carry.. mine could be the death of me yet
Old 29 January 2015, 16:01   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Tell you what it's easy done.
Old 03 February 2015, 17:26   #11

Just would like to share a funny story about that engine I bought the other day. Turns out it had been on a water mouse originally, and then the fellow who owned it had it run dry (I'm assuming he meant dry of oil with clean gas) by his kids. Whole thing seized up, and the shop he sold it to spent about a grand completely rebuilding it since the outside looked spotless. Turns out I got what's pretty much a brand new 2-stroke motor. Didn't know this originally because it'd been sold to another outboard motor shop (and then another) before coming into my hands, and they never told me its story. Sometimes there are such things as luck. Only found this out because I decided to google its serial number.
Old 26 June 2015, 14:08   #12

Length: 10m +
Kestrel; Did you get the Seabright? We picked up the 460 this past spring. Will only have taken it out a third time this coming weekend but loving it so far.

I know this is an older thread but I came across it from a search and really like the dolly idea for the engine.

My wife and I can transport ours just fine but recently I had been talking about taking my youngest out fishing at the coast and the problem is that I would be getting it all setup solo since he's so young. The obstacle is the engine. I can lift the weight but the issue is the awkwardness of the engine. Already pulled a muscle in my back trying to lift it by myself once.

The wife encouraged me since I've figured out a way on every other deterrent we've come across. It's a four-stroke and I know I can't haul it like you have it but it definitely gave me some good ideas to see if I can make something work.

Thanks!
Old 20 December 2023, 23:16   #13

Town: Brisbane
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Im 60 years old and although reasonably fit..I wouldn’t consider myself as a weight lifter. However I have no problem moving my 52kg two stroke engine across the shore on a sack trolley.

I secure the outboard to the trolley with the engine mounts pointing away from the trolley as in the photo. All I do is push the trolley into a foot of water. Reverse the floating boat transom against the engine mounts and push the boat down and under the brackets. Job done..and I have never lifted the weight of the engine once. I do the reverse to recover the engine.

I have an estate type back on my vehicle that doesn’t have a lip to lift the engine over to put it in the car. The trolley handles are lowered onto the rear of the car floor.. then I lift and slide the engine into the vehicle. I guess Im only lifting around 25kg doing it this way as the trolley handles take a good part of the weight.

This method is only suitable for two strokes as they can be transported in any position.. not like a four stroke which needs to be placed on a certain side. You also have to have an estate type boot on the car.. so it slides in.

My brain is stronger than my brawn... so a 25hp engine at 52kg is not a problem for me. If you have a two stroke and a trunk without a lip to lift the engine over.. try this way..its easy.

I can only just lift the engine ... if required ... but I couldn’t carry it far or lean over a car to get it out.

Hi Gurnard
Could you please send a image of your outboard trolley, thanks
Old 21 December 2023, 20:33   #14

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeks2 View Post
Hi Gurnard
Could you please send a image of your outboard trolley, thanks
This is an 8 year old thread
Old 21 December 2023, 21:28   #15

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Suspect it was something like this :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37BEE9A9-AD53-4247-A4CF-0A364585693C-huge.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	144295  
Old 26 December 2023, 05:34   #16

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Wheel it up to my van, place the wheels on the floor of the van and then pick the outboard and trolley up from the bottom and roll into the van, works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220630_085124.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	144310