Old 27 September 2008, 18:17   #11

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Stephen,

Given this problem has been consistent over the last 125 hours of use and has not worsened I would be looking at the electronics and the set up of the optical ignition.

Don't touch the carbs as they are factory set and should not need any adjustment througout the life of the engine. And I think its fair to say your VRO (which will be the version 2 VRO) is fine or you would either have black oily plugs or no engine at all!

All adjustments to the mixture & timing should be done using the optical ignition settings which effectively adjusts the timing for idle and hi speed and is the method by which you set idle mixture, RPM etc.

If you have not got one then you will need a Clymer Workshop Manual and this Optical ignition set up tool that I can send you to test out.

If you like I could pick up a manual for you from my local dealer (if you have not already got one) and send it over with the tool.

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 07:55   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Yes it's taken out of the water and flushed every time, stored with the engine down rather than tilted, as the book says to do this in winter so the leg doesn't freeze with water in it. However it wasn't when I first got it in March 06 and she spent ~ 2 months in the water without being flushed, I am sure the fault was present then.

I think the manual I have is the genuine Johnson/Evinrude one so I will bury my face in it and no doubt come up with some more silly questions

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the offer of the tool Chris

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 12:43   #13

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Stephen

My old 150VRO suffered with an erratic idle, I'm sure different cylinders were coming in and out.
I didn't put too much effort in to it as I knew I'd change it very soon, but things did get a lot better after I'd spent an hour cleaning up all the connections to the coils, and replaced the HT leads and caps.
It was never fantastic, and oiled up quickly at low speeds, but was always good higher up the rev range.

Nasher.
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 12:43   #14

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
as cris said earlier on and from past experience some engines bottom cylinders seem to run cooler than the upper ones and i have had a few engines where this has happened effecting the sparking side of things on the lower one ,sometimes even swapping parts over to no avail .though on one newish johnson engine it was a plug lead that was at fault,it gave spark ok to the plug when out of the engine but not under compresson in the end think we put a hotter plug in but that was years ago ,another engine had been sprayed with the thick wax type water repelant stuff which although it kept water from the electrics dident stop saltwater from getting on the parts until it dryed then started shorting things out esecially on the bottom cylinder where it couldent be cleaned proper, we only found that out by running it in the dark ,and seeing the spark tracking allover ,
Old 28 September 2008, 14:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
we only found that out by running it in the dark ,and seeing the spark tracking allover ,
Great idea !

Born fiddler
Old 28 September 2008, 16:55   #16

I have changed the plug leads so those are definitely not causing the problem as its no different with the new leads yesterday.

Maybe I'll just put up with it and buy an Etec if it goes bang though I am not sure the controller of programmes would see that as a good investment

Would you normally expect the telltale to be hot or cold on these engines? I am pretty sure mine is always cold even after some time at cruising speed, so I wonder if it might be running too cold (thermostat sticking or something) and if that cylinder is prone to problems being under-temperature might make it worse?

Old 28 September 2008, 17:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I have changed the plug leads so those are definitely not causing the problem as its no different with the new leads yesterday.

Maybe I'll just put up with it and buy an Etec if it goes bang though I am not sure the controller of programmes would see that as a good investment

Would you normally expect the telltale to be hot or cold on these engines? I am pretty sure mine is always cold even after some time at cruising speed, so I wonder if it might be running too cold (thermostat sticking or something) and if that cylinder is prone to problems being under-temperature might make it worse?
mine always ran warm, a knackered thermostat could be a good call.

Born fiddler
Old 28 September 2008, 19:17   #18

OK I will read the book of words and see what sort of open heart surgery is required to change that, I bet its in a nice easy place just like the impeller isn't

Thanks