Old 22 September 2012, 05:37   #1

Mercury/tohatsu 30 hp

Good morning! Could someone tell me his opinion regarding the 2 stroke 30 hp mercury/tohatsu. 2006? I'm about to buy one in very good condition. Points that i should pay attention. Thank you!
Old 22 September 2012, 06:25   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
unless this is going on a sib I would buy a 4 stroke.

as these engine are good I would just have a quick scan of Buyers Guide to Second Hand Outboard Engines | Glasgow and Clyde Outboard Services Outboard Engine Servicing
Old 22 September 2012, 07:18   #3

I will put it on a bombard c4 for scuba diving.
Thank you!
Old 22 September 2012, 08:05   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Mariner View Post
Good morning! Could someone tell me his opinion regarding the 2 stroke 30 hp mercury/tohatsu. 2006? I'm about to buy one in very good condition. Points that i should pay attention. Thank you!
The Bombard C400 can take up to 50hp, but unless you have a steering pack, I wouldn't want to use it with a tiller handle. The Tohatsu 30hp is a faily basic and robust 2-stroke engine and will be fine day-to-day unless there are say more than 3 people on board and kit. If it's pull start - then start it from cold to see how easy or hard it's going to be. Tohatsu's need plenty choke prior to ignition. Should pump water on muffs well with a strong water stream which isn't hot. A compression test is advisable to see that there isn't an issue with any of the cylinders or long term problems. If its been lying for a while then the carbs might require cleaning. Tell-tale signs will be lumpy idle, etc. It's advisable to use fresh fuel and mix with decent quality 2-stroke oil such as Yamlube or Quicksilver at 100:1. Propeller condition is important. If it has one or two nicks, then fine. Damaged blades will lead to reduced top speed and vibration, so check it out. Replacement propellers will be around £100 for a Tohatsu aluminium one. Also check the engine stops properly when the kill cord is pulled.

If you buy, then make sure you know service history. Service items should include thermostat clean (including new gasket), fuel bulb reservoir clean (on side of engine), renew impeller and gear oil, new spark plugs, renew starter rope, lube grease nipples, check electrical connections for tightness and condition. Remove propeller, grease shaft, replace and fit new s/s cotter pin.

Good luck.
Old 22 September 2012, 08:06   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>I will put it on a bombard c4 for scuba diving.

Then I'd say it's about the perfect power vs weight balance for a larger sib. You could go for a 40 but it's another 25lbs to manhandle when you do need to take the outboard off.
Old 22 September 2012, 08:59   #6

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Twatsoo 25/30 2-stroke is a basic 'old skool' 2-cyl motor,which is rough as a bag of nails, but packs loads of grunt and will rev its nuts off! I love them
Old 22 September 2012, 10:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus

The Bombard C400 can take up to 50hp, but unless you have a steering pack, I wouldn't want to use it with a tiller handle. The Tohatsu 30hp is a faily basic and robust 2-stroke engine and will be fine day-to-day unless there are say more than 3 people on board and kit. If it's pull start - then start it from cold to see how easy or hard it's going to be. Tohatsu's need plenty choke prior to ignition. Should pump water on muffs well with a strong water stream which isn't hot. A compression test is advisable to see that there isn't an issue with any of the cylinders or long term problems. If its been lying for a while then the carbs might require cleaning. Tell-tale signs will be lumpy idle, etc. It's advisable to use fresh fuel and mix with decent quality 2-stroke oil such as Yamlube or Quicksilver at 100:1. Propeller condition is important. If it has one or two nicks, then fine. Damaged blades will lead to reduced top speed and vibration, so check it out. Replacement propellers will be around £100 for a Tohatsu aluminium one. Also check the engine stops properly when the kill cord is pulled.

If you buy, then make sure you know service history. Service items should include thermostat clean (including new gasket), fuel bulb reservoir clean (on side of engine), renew impeller and gear oil, new spark plugs, renew starter rope, lube grease nipples, check electrical connections for tightness and condition. Remove propeller, grease shaft, replace and fit new s/s cotter pin.

Good luck.
Thank you Spartacus, so basicly the usual staff for every outboard
Old 22 September 2012, 13:58   #8

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
25/30/40 Tohatsu's are started correctly by environmental temperature conditions, if you don't start them as factory recommended probably will take long to start or flood the carb in the intent. You could grease/oil all throttle parts to slide better and last longer.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starting Procedures.JPG
Views:	800
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	72390  
Old 24 September 2012, 00:06   #9

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: Shark attack
Make: Stacer
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp Outboard
Just would like to clarify and not trying to step on anyone's toes..some 2 stroke premix models require 100:1 fuel/oil but this engine (and I have owned one for 7 years in Mariner decals-same engine) requires 50:1 and yes use a decent quality oil (I use Quicksilver Premium Plus). Great engine, enjoy.
Old 24 September 2012, 06:39   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_1987 View Post
Just would like to clarify and not trying to step on anyone's toes..some 2 stroke premix models require 100:1 fuel/oil but this engine (and I have owned one for 7 years in Mariner decals-same engine) requires 50:1 and yes use a decent quality oil (I use Quicksilver Premium Plus). Great engine, enjoy.
You're right - well spotted.

Tohatsu 2-strokes up to 50hp are 50:1. 50hp+ are anything from 50:1 to 120:1 if using autolube system. My old Yammie 25hp (25D) was 100:1