Old 30 January 2006, 21:55   #1

Town: GHENT
Boat name: OCEAN PRO
Make: HUMBER
Length: 7m +
Engine: looking for one
mercury optimax 175 hp

I have a rib Humber Ocean Pro 7 m. I had a Suzuki DF140TL which is unfortunatly stolen ! Now I have to buy a new engine. I used to make RPM 4300 to cruise 25 mph and I had a fuel consumption of 0,65 l/km. At RPM 4000 I could only make 19 mph. The max speed at RPM 6200 was 33 mph,
Now I am thinking about buying a Mercury Optimax 175 HP. I think then this engine will consume less fuel because of the lower RPM of for example RPM 3500 to cruise 30 mph.
Is this a good solution or should I buy a Suzuki DF175TL or an e-tec engine ?
Old 31 January 2006, 16:56   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Go for the OPTIMAX!!

A bit more pricy but lots of get up and go. Serving can be pricey too!

I'd consider getting the 200hp as it has larger size block and wont be tunned to work so hard giving longer engine life and better fuel economy.

Chris
Old 31 January 2006, 17:11   #3

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
if you want a 200 opti then i might be able to help you get a very good price on one, drop me a pm if you are interested as i purchased mine in december
Old 06 February 2006, 18:28   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I'd go for the 175 I truly believe it's a more reliable engine and consumes a lot less than the bigger block, It's also lighter and smaller.

I have owned the 150 (same block as the 175) and managed boats with the 200 and 225 and have been surprised by the better economy (litres/per horse power) and also the oil consumption seems to be proportionatly higher. Both engines are a delight to have on your transom. Hugh is right, the Smart shopper can buy a 200 cheaper than the 175.

What was your consumption with the Suzuki and how heavy is your rig. (Big decision faqctors on engine choice)

Another answer to your question is that there sems to be a lot of happy Etec owners out there.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 18:25   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
I Like my 150 Optimax, it never misses a beat, Just watch the engine hight when fitting, as I've posted elsewhere, its critical to performance. They do consume oil, I had mine checked, cos I was concerened, but a dealer advised they can run as low as 40:1 when being driven hard & loaded, or wrongly propped, or wrongly installed. With a 6.5 hull, 6 Gallons of fuel would give me a whole afternoons cruising at about 3800 -4200 rpm, it redlines at 5600, but like them all, running like that will grab your wallet. Your speed sounds a bit low. Maybe you need 200 if poss, You'll not need to push that as hard, and avoid the 'expensive zone' , in the process... oh and don't let your dealer winterize your optimax with quicksilvers distillate guff, I'm certain it destroyed two of my injectors (under warranty) Superb in every other respect